Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Part 1

If any show should be canceled it's Grey's Anatomy but that's not happening as it's going to get another 1,000 seasons.

Hey, Supernatural finally wrapped up. Never say never.

They’ve addressed similar issues before; granted, what has been going on is on a much larger scale and deservingly so. I think they’re creative enough to continue while addressing current issues.

'Brooklyn Nine-Nine' star Andre Braugher on what needs to change about police shows
"It's a very complicated subject, but I think they have to be portrayed much more realistically, in terms of this: The convention... that police breaking the law is okay because somehow it's in the service of some greater good, is a myth that needs to be destroyed," says Braugher. The actor adds that Brooklyn Nine-Nine will also need to grapple with the reality of widespread police misconduct moving forward. "We're going into an eighth season with a new challenge which is that everyone's knowledge and feelings about police... have been profoundly affected," he says. "What we have from [creator] Dan [Goor] is a commitment to write a smart show that will not attempt to hide itself in a fantasy. So the Nine-Nine is going to have to deal with what we know about the New York Police Department."

I don’t know why they thought they would be back in 2020 in the first place. Both seasons since the move to NBC have skipped Fall and aired midseason.

Andre Braugher on 'Brooklyn Nine-Nine' and His Turn to Comedy - Variety

“I look up after all these decades of playing these characters, and I say to myself, it’s been so pervasive that I’ve been inside this storytelling, and I, too, have fallen prey to the mythology that’s been built up,” he says. “It’s almost like the air you breathe or the water that you swim in. It’s hard to see. But because there are so many cop shows on television, that’s where the public gets its information about the state of policing. Cops breaking the law to quote, ‘defend the law,’ is a real terrible slippery slope. It has given license to the breaking of law everywhere, justified it and excused it. That’s something that we’re going to have to collectively address — all cop shows.”

In particular, Braugher says TV shows and films need to acknowledge the silence that has often surrounded police misconduct, as well as the lack of civilian control over police departments. And beyond that, “the myth that the outcomes of the criminal justice system are not dependent upon your race has to be confronted.”

Braugher is skeptical that police dramas that rely heavily on the hero-worship mythology of cops will be able or willing to take on such subjects, and wonders if instead “this revelation about police departments and their interaction with Black people in general will be a ‘B-story’ in Episode 16.”

Meanwhile, “Brooklyn Nine-Nine” may be a comedy, but it’s also a show that doesn’t shy away from subjects such as harassment, identity and representation. The Season 4 episode “Moo Moo” tackled police racial profiling, when Terry (Terry Crews) is nearly arrested after another cop stops him because he’s Black. “It took them many seasons before they felt like they had the right approach that was both respectful of the issue but also consistent with the tone of ‘Brooklyn Nine-Nine,’” says Universal Studio Group chairman Pearlena Igbokwe. “I’m sure they will give this current issue the same thought and consideration.”

Goor confirms that the “Nine-Nine” writers are crafting a storyline about police brutality for the coming season and that, as always, they’ll be thorough: “We want to make sure we get it right,” he says.

Braugher says it’s imperative that the show addresses the subject. “‘Brooklyn Nine-Nine’ has to commit itself, as a comedy, to telling the story of how these things happen, and what’s possible to deal with them. I don’t have any easy answers, nor do I have a window into the mind bank of this writing staff,” he says. “Can you tell the same story? Can anyone in America maintain any kind of innocence about what police departments are capable of?”

Braugher is curious how his character — who advised Terry not to file a police report in “Moo Moo” — might handle a new situation. “It might mean that Holt is a staunch defender of the NYPD, or that he tries to burn the whole thing down. I know that he is a pragmatic man; I do know that he’s a loving, [if] robotic person. I’m anxious to see what that’s all about, and I have no idea what Season 8 of ‘Brooklyn Nine-Nine’ is going to be, because everything’s changed.

“Can a comedy sustain the things that we’re trying to talk about? I don’t know. It could be a really groundbreaking season that we’re all going to be very, very proud of, or we’re going to fall flat on our face. … But I think this is a staff, a cast and a crew that’s willing to take it on and give it our best. I think we have a damn good chance to tell the kinds of stories that heretofore have only been seen on grittier shows.”

All great things come to an end. Honestly, we're probably all forever grateful to NBC for picking it up after Fox axed it. Still, I need a reaction to this:

I'm sure a knee-jerk reaction from some will be "because of the police protests" but if Nine-Nine was still successful they would power through. Like with the myriad of cop movies and the Law and Order, Chicago PD, Blue Bloods franchises.

bad place of a run though and they're ending on the own terms. You really can't ask for much more. Besides the way things are nowadays I give it under 10 years before theres a revival

I'm sure a knee-jerk reaction from some will be "because of the police protests" but if Nine-Nine was still successful they would power through. Like with the myriad of cop movies and the Law and Order, Chicago PD, Blue Bloods franchises.

bad place of a run though and they're ending on the own terms. You really can't ask for much more. Besides the way things are nowadays I give it under 10 years before theres a revival

I'm not going to say a full on revival, perhaps a special though like 30 Rock and Parks and Rec did this past year.

This is homophobia and NBC will be hearing from my lawyers.

Sorry to break this to you, but that ad for Welle, Hung and Eager in your last issue of Out isn't for a law firm.

Sorry to break this to you, but that ad for Welle, Hung and Eager in your last issue of Out isn't for a law firm.
Hey, just because they were all pantless and wearing leather harnesses when I first met with them doesn’t mean they can’t be lawyers. People can be multifaceted.

Hey, just because they were all pantless and wearing leather harnesses when I first met with them doesn’t mean they can’t be lawyers. People can be multifaceted.

Well, at least I hope they work pro bono.

The show had a good run, especially considering I was worried if it would even make it past Season 1 at first.l

I think the differences between this show and those other cop shows, is that the talent behind it is more concerned about their responsibility and to listen to what has been said and shown over the summer. I strongly suspect that in the process of doing this season, they realized the toll that would have on the show. I mean fork Blue Bloods, they lamented the loss of "stop and frisk".

I mean there's way more differences than those shows and Nine Nine. It's like comparing ER with Scrubs.
My point is, those shows have or are addressing BLM or police brutality (and the pandemic) in some way, regardless of where they land of the topic, throughout their current seasons. Just like Nine-Nine will. At least from what I heard from all these shows. That's not stopping any of the shows from continuing.
Nine-Nine isn't ending because of BLM stuff or writing issues based around that. If the show was still successful, like L&O, Nine-NIne would be continuing. Because from the statement it doesn't seem like this was a creative decision. It seems like it came from the studio.

Last edited:
If you want to talk about misconduct, in real life, all the officers in the Nine-Nine should've had disciplinary action taken against them or been fired.

When you get right down to it, Jake was basically harassing and bullying Santiago multiple times in the early seasons.

I don't think Brooklyn Nine-Nine is the right show to have a conversation about those types of social issues. It's not a serious show. It's an irreverent comedy that doesn't take place in a gritty, grim setting that exposes the seedy underbelly of police work.

It's also not a cynical show either.

Now the show could maybe satirize them in some way, but that could be its own can of worms.

Good that they get to end it on their terms, thats always nice.
And while i will be of course sad, i think its for the best.
You could see in the last season that the fire slowly runs out.
At one point you have to let the characters grow and that means going from where they have been at the beginning...and that often is when the fire runs out because at the same time you cant change the dynamic of the show that even got it as far as it did.

So its good that they can end it on their terms.

I mean the show had a great run. 8 seasons is more than a lot of other deserving shows get.

Good that they get to end it on their terms, thats always nice.
And while i will be of course sad, i think its for the best.
You could see in the last season that the fire slowly runs out.
At one point you have to let the characters grow and that means going from where they have been at the beginning...and that often is when the fire runs out because at the same time you cant change the dynamic of the show that even got it as far as it did.

So its good that they can end it on their terms.
Yeah that's the thing and why I'm a fan of shows only lasting 5 seasons or 100 eps max.

It gets to the point where it gets kinda weird seeing characters be in the same place they are when the show started. Another show ending next month is Superstore and they have that problem with a few of their main characters. They're pretty much the same from where they were in the beginning in at least one way.

But then if you change them you risk losing what people liked about them in the first place. It's a risk.

EDIT: Parks and Rec is probably the main show I can think of where a majority of the main cast evolved from even the 2nd season and they still were all great characters.

I kind of feel like Peralta and Santiago getting together and married was sort of the natural end point for this show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"