Bryan Singer Directing X-Men: Days of Future Past - Part 2

Discussion in 'X-Men: Days of Future Past' started by Thread Manager, Jan 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrs. Sawyer

Mrs. Sawyer Well-Known Member

I disagree, that all excuses are legitimate (If you want to listen to the Tron Legacy soundtrack and didn't think you would like the movie, listen to the soundtrack), but 2 out of the three you mentioned are pretty legitimate.

2. EnDz0n3

EnDz0n3 Marvel Legend

The Polaris thing was obviously a joke hence the :p
    An introduction of the Polaris character would most likely mean some interaction with Havok and I'd rather they spent those precious running time on characters that I actually care about (ie. some of the more exciting characters from the original trilogy, at least from the first two movies).

3. blueserenity

blueserenity Well-Known Member

I didn't see Tron *for* the soundtrack though, I saw it cuz I thought it might be good. Couldn't get a refund on the ticket so I stuck around for the audio experience. Hey, it was already paid for :).

On the opposite side, a bad soundtrack can ruin a movie as well. While I love Hans Zimmer and his work on BB and TDK, his DKR soundtrack had so many overbearing crescendos that I could barely concentrate on what was going on onscreen...

Haha my bad. People tend to use the tongue-y smiley for so many situations that it's hard to tell when it's a joke ;)

4. Mrs. Sawyer

I haven't really heard a soundtrack that ruined a movie. I understand your point, but at worst a soundtrack to me if just unmemorable but it never takes away from the experience to me. Maybe it's because if I don't care for a score my mind subconsciously just ignores the score.

5. def28

def28 Well-Known Member

Sometimes modern music in period pieces can come close to ruining a film for me. Its more just like those moments in the film, but man I hate when musics used out of context and the time period just to be hip. Doesnt matter over a good story though, just annoying.

6. Mrs Vimes

Mrs Vimes Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of CGI living creatures in general (unless they're played by Andy Serkis, it seems). I saw Life of Pie recently and though I really enjoyed the movie I couldn't help being distracted by the CGI animals, particularly the tiger. And with The Hobbit, among other things I was disappointed with was how heavily it relied on CGI for its creatures. So if I really minded that I'd be skipping a lot of movies.

Can't really think of a time I thought a movie was ruined by the soundtrack, though There Will Be Blood came close.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  7. Lord

Lord All Mighty

X-Men: DofP won't have bad CGI, believe it

8. blueserenity

Agreed about the CGI and TWBB, I had forgotten about that one. I haven't seen Life of Pi yet but oh man, the Hobbit... that Azog Orc guy was pretty horrible. I heard he was meant to be an actor in costume like the orcs from the old trilogy but they decided he wasn't "intimidating" enough. It's a shame, every time he was onscreen you could tell they had blown the CGI budget entirely on Gollum (with outstanding results in that department, he was bloody fantastic!). Things like the rabbit sled were pretty awful too, and even the hedgehog wasn't great...

9. Lord

Lord All Mighty

Azog looked badass, some seem to be complayining just to for the sake of it, the way he looks now is much better than how he was originally supposed to look.

10. Mulholland-Jr

Mulholland-Jr Well-Known Member

That's very pedantic and shallow. But whatever, good for you.

11. Lightning Strykez!

Lightning Strykez! Former Mod On Pension Pay

It's a strong possibility that we're all missing the point of Lauren's tweet. Could it be that X-Men: Days Of Future Past IS X4 as far as the studio is concerned? Think about it. There's absolutely no technical reason why it can't be. It is obviously picking up after X3. And Bryan Singer is picking up with it. She said it was "coming" as in coming soon. There's no logical reason she'd be referring to a project dropping 3-5 years from now.

I think X-Men Days Of Future Past is a working title just like X-Men: The Last Stand.

12. def28

def28 Well-Known Member

Agreed

13. blueserenity

It really isn't. A trailer is designed to lure you in, usually pulling a couple of the best shots from the movie or a few great lines that will stick with you. There will always be the occasional bad trailer for a great movie (Pixar in particular seems to have trouble with dull trailers for superb films). But at the very least, a trailer should be able to put its best VISUAL foot forward. If people only went to the movies for the "plot and characters", Expendables would have made pennies at the box office, Fast and the Furious would not be counting up to part 6 and 7, the slasher era would have ended with Scream, and we wouldn't have annoying ads on this site reminding us that DieHard 5 is a great alternative to boring traditional Valentine's Day festivities.

Just as people will always go see movies for the explosions, people will just as easily avoid movies for certain reasons (like cringeworthy CGI). And that is OKAY. It isn't "pedantic" or "shallow". It's just personal preference. :)

14. The_Shadow

The_Shadow Well-Known Member

The Amazing Spider-Man had a terrible score and soundtrack.

Idk if it ruined the movie for me, but it made it hard to like.

15. Mrs Vimes

So did she say "coming" or "trying"? If it's "trying", it makes no sense for it to refer to DoFP.

16. Mrs. Sawyer

I don't want to see Jack the Giant Killer because I think it looks crappy.

17. Lightning Strykez!

Lightning Strykez! Former Mod On Pension Pay

18. Project862006

Project862006 Well-Known Member

reviews and audience reports says it's quite solid tho singer recently screened it at a college so he and fox must be confident of it

19. Angamb

Angamb Well-Known Member

Lauren has tweeted again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. Mrs Vimes

21. psylockolussus

psylockolussus Well-Known Mutant

They should have greenlighted it a few years ago! Like as if casual viewers are more interested watching a solo Wolverine flick or another prequel that is going to tell the backstory of a X-Men character.

Look at Fast / Furious. Tokyo Drift didn't do much at the box-office but when they brought back the original cast for the 4th/5th film, the franchise reached its peak.

Yes, plus the cast is already huge. So they should save Polaris for another movie.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  22. Mrs. Sawyer

I was just talking about music score alone made for the movie, of course.

23. psylockolussus

psylockolussus Well-Known Mutant

Yeah I didn't like that.

But what ruined the movie for me was the camera-shots.

24. psyonic

psyonic X-Man

I like how Bryan Singer said each character has a function in DoFP and they're not there just to fill up the screen or billboards. I'd rather have few characters and character developement than to see random mutants stand around doing nothing for the story.

25. marvelrobbins

marvelrobbins Well-Known Member

Days of future past I will bet you Is what Lauren shueller Donnor meant when she talked about showing X4 treatment to fox and they loving It.If DOFP Is success the question Is will next film be a X-Men sequel without First class cast or will they do the final Fist class film.

One problem on this board Is some complain about roles of certain characters yet want to flood the screen with more characters and bring back cast of both trilogy and first Class.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.