Days of Future Past Bryan Singer Directing X-Men: Days of Future Past

Status
Not open for further replies.
X-Men: First Class was the lowest grossing X-Men movie ever domestically.

Wolverine = money.

You should be happy. Box office numbers will go up with Wolverine's presence alone. Get over it.

I am not yet worried about Wolverine being in the film, but I don't get this notion that anyone should be automatically "happy" about decisions that mean big money for the movie, unless you're talking to Fox executives. What matters in the end is whether the movie is good and if some people are worried that it will be a bloated mess I don't see why they should care about the box office numbers. That's Fox's job.

Exactly people should be happy about getting movies that are good not movies that are expected to make a lot of money.

I want more X flicks and this franchise to be expanded so I hope its good and makes **** loads of cash haha.

Exactly people should be happy about getting movies that are good not movies that are expected to make a lot of money.

Yeah, that was a bad arguement. "Wolverine will bring more $$$"... so? I mean, ****, if all we care about is money, lets just get Michael Bay to direct the ****ing thing. :o

We aren't talking about Michael Bay here. We are talking about Wolverine. X-Men's Optimus Prime :D .

I am not yet worried about Wolverine being in the film, but I don't get this notion that anyone should be automatically "happy" about decisions that mean big money for the movie, unless you're talking to Fox executives. What matters in the end is whether the movie is good and if some people are worried that it will be a bloated mess I don't see why they should care about the box office numbers. That's Fox's job.

I'm (obviously) extremely bummed at the news of HJ's potential return (and irritated at all the commentary that Wolverine is a surefire way to make money/is the main draw for this film, or that his brief cameo in XMFC making people laugh is proof that people are desperate to see him headline a SEVENTH bloody movie). The only glimmer of hope I have about this is that he is "in talks". If he were to have a major role, such as the traveler, I doubt that he would be "in talks", but rather would have been cemented down before any announcements were made. That way if he had to back out they wouldn't have to scramble around trying to decide whether they were going to go back to the original Russel-Crowe-as-Wolverine plan or if they were going to have to suddenly rewrite the entire script.

I'm torn because every announcement about this film has been a huge disappointment and at this point in time I don't actually want to support it and thus feed the idea that only an X-Men movie with the old cast is a good one. But at the same time I care about it making money is because I want it to do well enough that they decided to go on and make FC3, which would hopefully be an actual FC sequel (triquel?) and not X-Men-does-Avengers-with-time-travel.

The unfortunate flip side is that they could be planning to expand this storyline into 2 movies, which I really hope is not the case. You make a valid point, however, on the possibility of X4 dwindling as the years pass. The actors are not getting young and as you said, the "sendoff" is much less open-ended and hopeful than X3's was.

On that note, there's already a huge issue with the timelines even for DOFP:

Option 1: If their apocalyptic future is one that happens post-X3, they need to explain why it is that Xavier is alive and in the same body and walking around. What happens post-credits should not be an important canon element (such as BRINGING A CHARACTER BACK TO LIFE), as most people leave the theatre before the credits roll. And in some cases, what happens post-credits is downright contradicted (see: Thor). In addition, I'm not sure we ever get told that the Patient X (or whatever his name was) is Charles' twin brother. But if we are, I think we probably should have seen or heard about him in First Class. Shoehorning in "er uhhh braindead twin brother. Yup." is not a wise plan; this is something they needed to have touched upon even in an offhand comment in First Class. Not to mention, his moral ambiguities aside, I have a hard time believing Charles would take over another person's body, braindead or not, for the sake of his own survival.

Option 2: The "happy ending" future is X1-3. Ughhh what a nightmare this one would be. If part of the reason they're doing DOFP is to fix some of the more massive continuity errors, they just can't go with this. Charles walking? Mystique not knowing Charles (because it will be forever impossible for me to believe she could ever remorselessly hurt him)? Beast human? Charles being mystified by Erik's "telepathy shield", or having met Erik at 17 instead of late 20s/early 30s? It's just not going to fly. People, ordinary non-fan audience members, did notice and WERE annoyed or perplexed by the inconsistencies. Let's not alienate them further.

(the rather unlikely) Option 3: The apocalytic future is a whooole other future and this IS kind of cementing the notion as XMFC as a pREBOOT. The "happy ending" future remains unseen (can be presumed to NOT be X1-3), leaving the door open for even MORE FC films beyond the first three. Although with their rapidly increasing in-demand status, I'm not sure Fassbender or Lawrence would be up for more. Or James McAvoy for that matter, who despite seeming to love his role as Charles does tend to opt for movies that are more film festival gems than action blockbusters. And an X4 would require more mindbending as audiences try to figure out which timeline/potential outcome X4 is following. No X-Men movie should have to come with a pre-show explanation or a timeline map. This is X-Men, not Donnie Darko.

X-Men has so many parallel universes and alternate timelines in the comics it's wayyyy more convoluted than Donnie Darko. And I totally think Mystique could hurt Charles in X1 after their friendship. It's been over 40 years and you don't know what the character was thinking or feeling.

say if the future settin only got 30 min of screen time and the rest was in the 60s setting i think ppl on this site have built up such a hype bout jackman,ian and patrick makin this Xmen 4 that they may be very disapointed.

No one knows how this film will work but many should be prepared just to avoid disapointment

yeah, we shouldnt expect too much of anything.

A ballance would please most fans I guess. 50/50 or maybe 60/40.

If the movie has a two hours and a half running time, that could mean 1 hour for future timeline, and thats pretty fine for original actors.

Wolverine's role really needs to be that from the comics, nothing more...in the future, helps out rebels and gets reduced to adamantium. How great would it be for people to see Wolverine right after his solo movie get killed within the first ten minutes of this?? I would love it!

it would show haw bad the future has become if wolverine was killed, but as long as we see wolverine fight and just be badass before hand i don't see why it couldnt happen

Last edited:
People need to get any crazy notion of first Class as reboot out of their minds.Bryan Singer Isn't directing a film that will Ignore his own films.And Bryan Isn't going to waste time dealing with other people's films.

People also need to understand many franchises and TV shows do liberties with what Is said In past In dialogue and have errors.The error about Magneto's helmet Is nothing compared to rewrting Star Trek did with the Borg.

In all likelyhood we will spend 30 minutes In Days of future past dark future and and a hour and 30 minutes in 1960's.

The future can be seen as sequel to Bryan's previous X-Men films and the past as sequel to first Class.

They are doing this film since it Is one of top X-Men storylines that they have wanted to do,and the storyline allows them to do epic crossover with cast members from both
First Class,and earlier X-Men films.

I hope Wolverine is in the movie and not just a cameo, but a starring role. He's not my favorite but he is one of the most important characters in the X-Men movie franchise. He is the face of the X-Men when it comes to casual audience and Hugh Jackman will draw more money at the box-office. So he's a must have!

Wolverine will eather be
A:The time traveler
B:play major role In future part of film.

This defently won't be cameo.You don't announce a star In talks for film for just a cameo.Hugh Jackman announced this early means a decent part In film.

Wolverine will eather be
A:The time traveler
B:play major role In future part of film.

This defently won't be cameo.You don't announce a star In talks for film for just a cameo.Hugh Jackman announced this early means a decent part In film.

In fairness, Jackman wasn't 'announced' at all.

Negotiations are still under way with several actors and it just so happened that the Hollywood Reporter's sources (probably a casting agency) let slip that he was in talks. Neither Fox nor Singer announced this at all.

Also, notice that Jackman was not among the names mentioned by Singer in the first wave of names. That might suggest those first names are the most crucial to the story.

I hope Wolverine is in the movie and not just a cameo, but a starring role. He's not my favorite but he is one of the most important characters in the X-Men movie franchise. He is the face of the X-Men when it comes to casual audience and Hugh Jackman will draw more money at the box-office. So he's a must have!

I'm not sure he would sit well alongside the kids from X-Men: First Class. He'd be like their grumpy grandpa, not a fellow team member.

He may be best confined to battling Sentinels in the future but I have a bad feeling he'll be leading the X-Men in the past (as Xavier won't be running around in action scenes anytime soon).

The fact that people are upset that Wolverine is involved in a movie based on a comic that Wolverine is involved in is... puzzling.

The fact that people are upset that Wolverine is involved in a movie based on a comic that Wolverine is involved in is... puzzling.

There are perfectly reasonable worries that he will dominate at the expense of the others. It wouldn't be the first time. And he will be headlining his own solo film next year.

So I think his role/screentime within DoFP is a legitimate issue for debate. I want the other characters to own the screen too. Banshee, Havok, etc, will never have chance to shine if he's growling and clawing all over the place.

Negotiations are still under way with several actors and it just so happened that the Hollywood Reporter's sources (probably a casting agency) let slip that he was in talks. Neither Fox nor Singer announced this at all.

Also, notice that Jackman was not among the names mentioned by Singer in the first wave of names. That might suggest those first names are the most crucial to the story.

You don't announce someone Is In talks for a small role.

Ian Mckellen wasn't first lord of the rings actor confirmed to return for hobbit yet he Is one seen most In trailers.

Wolverine may only be In future part of film but It won't be a cameo.In talks means his people and Fox are working on his deal.

thats true you would think they would get jackman straight away if he was a big part of the story

maybe wolverines role is set in the future setting where if jackman doesn't come back it could be replaced by another mutant

You don't announce someone Is In talks for a small role.

Ian Mckellen wasn't first lord of the rings actor confirmed to return for hobbit yet he Is one seen most In trailers.

Wolverine may only be In future part of film but It won't be a cameo.In talks means his people and Fox are working on his deal.

Jackman wasn't announced for anything.

It was leaked that he was in talks.

I'm not sure he would sit well alongside the kids from X-Men: First Class. He'd be like their grumpy grandpa, not a fellow team member.

He may be best confined to battling Sentinels in the future but I have a bad feeling he'll be leading the X-Men in the past (as Xavier won't be running around in action scenes anytime soon).

I don't think they should just keep Wolverine in the future. I also don't think he should be the leader, but he should be there, if the future X-Men are going to go to the past. From X1 to X3, he was always there during the X-Men's biggest battles and for Wolverine to be not included in the most important moments/battles of DOFP (the movie where the past generation of X-Men and the future generation of X-Men got to meet each other) because he wouldn't sit well alongside the younger members of the 60s X-Men just sounds wrong. Wolverine perfectly sit well with Iceman and Rogue. So I don't see why he wouldn't sit well with Havok, Banshee, young Mystique and young Beast.

You do realize stars new projects often come out because they are In talks.

Yes, I realise.

But he was not 'announced'.

The Hollywood Reporter just took the chance to get an exclusive story out there quickly because Jackman will soon be asked about it all the time when he does press for Les Mis.

Almost certainly he will come back and be in the film. But I'm just saying it hasn't been officially announced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"