Bryan Singer Directing X-Men: Days of Future Past

Discussion in 'X-Men: Days of Future Past' started by FilmNerdJamie, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EnDz0n3

EnDz0n3 Marvel Legend

I certainly wasn't criticizing Emma's inclusion as a Brotherhood member. My ...BLASPHEMY? :p comment was for my suggestion of getting rid of Emma for this next film. Her character neither hampered nor helped my enjoyment of FC. She was just...there. Besides I never liked Emma in the comics. :oldrazz:

2. psylockolussus

psylockolussus Well-Known Mutant

Emma definitely has to be there! Compare to Angel Salvadore, Riptide and Azazel, I feel like she had more role and presence in the movie. She was the main henchman of Sebastian Shaw. Magneto recruited her in the end of the movie and it looked like Magneto wanted her to be his new mutant partner (like as replacement to Charles. I would be very disappointed if she didn't appear in DOFP or if they replaced January Jones.

3. marvelrobbins

marvelrobbins Well-Known Member

Supposly January Jones has shown good range on mad Men which I have never seen.
    With Singer taking over from Vaughn we will have no tabloid stories If she returns.If they
    stay In 1960's January should return.I can't see them dropping Emma.

4. X-Maniac

X-Maniac High Evolutionary

I agree she seemed a bit bland, and I'm not sure whether to blame acting, writing, directing, casting or all of those.

Given that Riptide never uttered a word and we didn't get that much out of Azazel, I'm sure some of it is down to Vaughn wanting them to be background henchmen in the same way Toad, Sabretooth and Mystique were in X1.

But I don't want characters tossed aside with no explanation. It was bad enough when Nightcrawler disappeared between X2 and X3, and even when there was no mention of Toad or Sabretooth in X2. (Nightcrawler was dropped from X3, and Toad dropped from X2, but nevertheless, regardless of the reasons, they didn't appear in the film).

If we are to have continuity and a shared universe, then we need to know why characters appear or disappear. Angel Salvadore and Riptide could be captured on a mission, even if that takes place off screen before the film begins. Azazel is more tricky because as a teleporter he would escape human attempts to capture or imprison him.

But we need Emma (even if they recast her with someone more curvy and charismatic). I'd be interested to see if Singer can get a better performance out of January Jones, though. And I want to see Emma in an astral plane battle with Charles.

Magneto is going to need at least SOME people around him or they won't be a Brotherhood at all.

5. Angamb

Angamb Well-Known Member

Singer could definetly do a better job with January, no shade to Matthew.

Even if Singer gives her only two scenes, I think there will be more interesting details than FC scenes. Thats for sure.

At least, thats what I expect from Singer.

6. Mulholland-Jr

Mulholland-Jr Well-Known Member

The latter. She's the reason I couldn't get into Mad Men.

7. Angamb

Angamb Well-Known Member

really??

I saw some episodes of first season and I liked her performance there. But Emma was a dissapointment. Was expecting something better from Matthew and January.

8. EnDz0n3

EnDz0n3 Marvel Legend

The reason I could not get into Mad Men, after watching Season 1, is that Peggy character/actress. Annoys me to no end!

I can definitely <the correct spelling, sorry that annoyed me too :p see them whittling down the Brotherhood as the film progresses (via capture, deaths, aside-dialogues) to the essentials, Magneto and Mystique and maybe Emma, and adding a couple more males (as it wouldn't be much of a brotherhood with two females), based on powers we haven't seen in these films yet (a male Destiny??).

I do think it's too soon to be adding Sabes and Toad to Fassbender's Bro'hood.

9. X-Maniac

A male Destiny? Are you mad? :wow:

10. Mrs Vimes

Mrs Vimes Well-Known Member

I think the big problem is Jones' line delivery - it's flat and monotone and she has that little-girlish voice which suits her childish Mad Men character very well but not many other roles.

11. Electrix

Electrix Well-Known Member

I think January Jones did fine considering her character disappears half way through the film and her big moment (the mind battle with Xavier) was cut during pre-production after Matthew Vaughn saw Inception.

12. Duran Man

Duran Man The Seventh Stranger

A recast is in order.

13. Angamb

Angamb Well-Known Member

January as Emma was more interesting without lines than with lines. You could make your own version of the character. The lines/director didnt help her too much.

14. ThePowerCosmic

Yeah, it was a large brotherhood. The brotherhood in X3 has, by far, more members than the other X-movies. I just want Emma on the BH because of the telepath thing. I don't have a problem with a Brotherhood that had as many members as the one in FC, though.

15. The Guard

The Guard Well-Known Member

January Jones doesn't have much range, even on MAD MEN. She's good in the role she plays on MAD MEN because it suits her, period.

In FIRST CLASS, it's true she didn't have much to work with, but its apparent that she was directed to be cold, and she ended up being that, but also wooden.

16. EnDz0n3

EnDz0n3 Marvel Legend

New Bryan Singer tweet. Nothing too revealing...or is there...

17. JP

JP Smelly

Connecting those dots...

18. psyonic

psyonic X-Man

The gang is the OT cast members? :O

19. EnDz0n3

EnDz0n3 Marvel Legend

Theater is spelled using the American spelling e before r, not the British/Canadian theatre. That means Wolverine will only do a cameo!

Notice how there's no dash in "Xmen"...that's a clue right? :O

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  20. Hawkingbird

Hawkingbird I want to be Kate Bishop

I think I can put up with her. I want more Banshee, loved him :woot:

21. merbass

merbass Well-Known Member

Yes, Banshee has to stayyyyyy !! Actually I want all of the XFC characters to remain, one way or another !

22. X-Maniac

Of course Banshee has to stay. We haven't really seen that power before (aside from his daughter Siryn screaming during the mansion raid in X2). And since he has a daughter, he can't die in the 60s.

23. psylockolussus

psylockolussus Well-Known Mutant

Banshee has to stay!

When I watched X2, I didn't mind that Sabretooth and Toad didn't appear and they didn't mention or explain why they weren't in X2. So I think they could easily get away with Riptide, Angel and Azazel not appearing in DOFP. But yeah they have to explain why they aren't in the movie or at least mention what happened to them because unlike with X1 Sabretooth and Toad, after they were beaten, they were seen alive and on Magneto's side.

I think January Jones could easily improve. I think if she's given more role, story and action scenes, she should shine.

24. EnDz0n3

EnDz0n3 Marvel Legend

Anyone have any ideas why Singer is headed to New Zealand? I wonder which film he's talking about (Jack or DOFP?) when he says "Part work" (twitter).

25. Snikt

Snikt Well-Known Member

I'm sure it's for Jack. DOFP is supposed to be filmed in Canada correct?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.