Apocalypse Let's talk about the X-Director, Bryan Singer Thread

Thank you, i think that too. Singer is involved emotionaly alot with those character, they are a real part of him and that makes is work at least true to his heart and very unique.

But i think it is a natural process of writing and a lot of directors and writer are doing this out there, not on six movies or so but to their own extent and ways.

I appreciate your comments :up: I think your posts show how Singer is a more thoughtful director than some others in the industry.

He puts more thought into these films than any other director currently working on comic book films. The scene with Apocalypse getting rid of the nukes is one of the most beautiful sequences I've seen on film this year. It's hard to come across a scene like that in a comic book film nowadays.

Singer broke my heart with "X-Men Apocalypse":

tumblr_msxe9tUliW1sg3u26o1_500.gif

I'll be curious to see if Singer gets a second wind after he does 20,000 Leagues. He has made my top 3 favourite X-Men films and 2 of my favourite comic book films in general. It's sad to see him under-perform for the first time.

There are some things he did here which are symptomatic of the franchise's problems overall: ignoring basic continuity, muting side characters and villains, narrow character focus in general, squashing long-term story potential. These are things that happened from the start and are no longer acceptable in this era of comic book movies.

I had hoped the reset in DOFP would change a lot of things for the better, and it is distressing to see old habbits creeping back in already. It's also become clear that Singer's strengths lie in intimate scenes, small scale action and dramatic performances. I love these, but if the franchise continues to move into more epic, outlandish territory, then Singer might not be the man for the job. The large scale action in Apocalypse sucks. No two ways about it.

I'll be curious to see if Singer gets a second wind after he does 20,000 Leagues. He has made my top 3 favourite X-Men films and 2 of my favourite comic book films in general. It's sad to see him under-perform for the first time.

There are some things he did here which are symptomatic of the franchise's problems overall: ignoring basic continuity, muting side characters and villains, narrow character focus in general, squashing long-term story potential. These are things that happened from the start and are no longer acceptable in this era of comic book movies.

I had hoped the reset in DOFP would change a lot of things for the better, and it is distressing to see old habbits creeping back in already. It's also become clear that Singer's strengths lie in intimate scenes, small scale action and dramatic performances. I love these, but if the franchise continues to move into more epic, outlandish territory, then Singer might not be the man for the job. The large scale action in Apocalypse sucks. No two ways about it.

if a fox/disney deal happens he defently won't ever be back with X-Men.

Before long people will say batman begins or iron man revived the comic book genre.it will be like X-Men films and pre-civil war spider-man were
nothing.

if a fox/disney deal happens he defently won't ever be back with X-Men.

Before long people will say batman begins or iron man revived the comic book genre.it will be like X-Men films and pre-civil war spider-man were
nothing.

People won't forget history. X-Men's legacy as a stepping stone to comic book domination will always be. The brand has been damaged by its own output, not the MCU or anything else that followed.

I certainly won't forget Raimi's Spider-Man either. Still my favourite comic book trilogy.

Came back from my second viewing of the film. Still really enjoyed the film, it's a lot of fun.

The first conversation between Jean and Charles after her nightmare is downright atrocious though. As if they couldn't telegraph the Phoenix and Apocalypse any worse. There are some cheesy lines throughout the film, but this conversation is the worse of the entire film perhaps and only saved by the fact that McAvoy can act his butt off.

One of Singer's trademarks are those closeups of his actors' faces and they work really well in those small scenes with big emotions. It helps a ton when you have actors like McAvoy and Fassbender and then Evan and Sophie to a lesser degree. Kodi is also able to act really well through his makeup. Nightcrawler needs to smile after all. I think that's one of the things I appreciate about his films, he really seems to let his actors act. I suppose that's one thing being more quippy would take away from, even though I'm into adding quips in order to add some personality/characterization to characters. (I guess thinking about CW more and more, I like that we got to see RDJ use his face a lot more than we have in the past)

On the flip side, the closeups of Oscar kinda suck. He works better in a medium shot where you can see his shades of blue/gray and his more ornate makeup. The Egypt opening also serves the same opening as the first Sentinel battle in DOFP, which introduces us to how the Sentinels work. Showing vs telling. Except in the case of Apocalypse the showing was still really vague and I think contributed a bit too how people found his powers unexplained etc. I think that FBI scene with Moira might as well as tacked on a specific explanation of his powers and or add a scene later on where Moira discovers how to defeat him by reading hieroglyphs to make her more active and also clarify the boundaries of Apocalypse's powers.

Beast's Wolfman make up needs to go though and they need to bring back the more human makeup that Kelsey had. Hoult looks good in certain angles, but I think his jaw is way too stiff.

I'm rather interested why Singer doesn't use digital doubles and opts to use wire work. I think Beast and Storm would benefit a ton from having digital doubles for flying and fight scenes respectively. Deadpool and Black Panther are good enough examples for characters who are enhanced humans and could help with the modernization of action scenes I think. (Even though BP had a few iffy moments in CW too)

Anyways, I hope the next director comes in and provides us with a jolt of creativity to keep the flagship going. There's a really great core that Singer left us and I hope McQuarrie or Reeves or Vaughn or Whedon or whomever they get is interested in expanding the X-Men even more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"