Burton's Batman VS Nolan's Batman VS Schumacher's Batman

They actually said his name correctly. The correct Arabic pronunciation for the name is "Raz", not "Raysh".

Denny O'Neil, the creator of Ra's, said it's pronounced "Raysh". He created him and made the name up, and even wrote the Batman: TAS episodes in which he first appeared if I remember correctly, or at least consulted - bottom line is they interacted with him on it and he said it was pronounced "Raysh". Nolan is wrong here. Obviously no one thought to consult Denny O'Neil during the making of Batman Begins or at least watch Batman: TAS, lol. :doh:

Maybe next time. :oldrazz: :whatever: haha :yay:

Denny O'Neill also said Batman Begins is the best Batman movie of them all by a wide margin ;)

Denny O'Neill also said Batman Begins is the best Batman movie of them all by a wide margin ;)

Oh yeah, dude, I don't expect him, or anyone really to hold one little mispronunciation against the movie. :)

Last edited:
Denny O'Neil, the creator of Ra's, said it's pronounced "Raysh". He created him and made the name up, and even wrote the Batman: TAS episodes in which he first appeared if I remember correctly, or at least consulted - bottom line is they interacted with him on it and he said it was pronounced "Raysh". Nolan is wrong here. Obviously no one thought to consult Denny O'Neil during the making of Batman Begins or at least watch Batman: TAS, lol. :doh:

Maybe next time. :oldrazz: :whatever: haha :yay:

Ra's al Ghul is not a made up word. It an actual Arabic word. It literally translates to "Demon's Head".

Not to sound like an ass but it really doesn't matter what Danny O'Neil says because "Raz" is the correct pronunciation going by the rules of the Arabic language. O'Neil was misinformed at the time.

Ra's al Ghul is not a made up word. It an actual Arabic word. It literally translates to "Demon's Head".

Not to sound like an ass but it really doesn't matter what Danny O'Neil says because "Raz" is the correct pronunciation going by the rules of the Arabic language. O'Neil was misinformed at the time.

Someone made it up. :oldrazz:

And Denny O'Neil I think would have been aware of that, surely the creators of the animated show. I'll have to ask him.

Someone made it up. :oldrazz:

And Denny O'Neil I think would have been aware of that, surely the creators of the animated show. I'll have to ask him.

I remember even him saying that he gave Ra's al Ghul the name of a killer in the Middle East from long ago. I doubt those guys called him "Raysh". lol

Or maybe it is a DC universe thing. In the DC universe, the name is pronounced "Raysh" going by the rules of the Arabic language as opposed to "Raz". That would also explain why it is pronounced as "Raz" in Batman Begins since it is supposed to feel more real world.

I remember even him saying that he gave Ra's al Ghul the name of a killer in the Middle East from long ago. I doubt those guys called him "Raysh". lol

Or maybe it is a DC universe thing. In the DC universe, the name is pronounced "Raysh" going by the rules of the Arabic language as opposed to "Raz". That would also explain why it is pronounced as "Raz" in Batman Begins since it is supposed to feel more real world.

Hmm. I guess I could look at it that way, that makes sense, actually. Good way too look at it. :up: :)

Yes, he did. His opinion may have changed to that or even TDKR since then.

Both are incredible movies. I really don't think people give Begins enough of the credit it deserves sometimes.

If they could combine Burtons/Nolans versions together it would be perfect.

Both are incredible movies. I really don't think people give Begins enough of the credit it deserves sometimes.

a great batman movie. probably the only movie that was about him(live action at least). tdk is still the best comicbook movie, IMO

The real question is: what happens when you take Burton's Batman and pit him against Nolan's Joker, and Nolan's Batman against Burton's Joker?

I think the Nolan versions would win when pitted against the Burton versions.

nolan's batman is a slow fighter. no one really shoots at him, so he can easily take them out. they constantly try to hit him with their guns. i don't think people know how to use guns in the nolanverse :)

I don't think Nolan's Batman is anywhere as slow as he looks. I think that is more of a production/directing fault on Nolan's part as opposed to a character fault. Nolan is pretty bad at filming fight scenes and choreographing them well. But I think that within the context of the Nolanverse, Nolan's Batman moves far faster than what Nolan showed us.

I mean, if you want to get technical, going by how Nolan choreographed and filmed his fight scenes, both Batman and Bane would quickly end up getting killed since it almost looks like the average guy can put up a fight against them. lol

The real question is: what happens when you take Burton's Batman and pit him against Nolan's Joker, and Nolan's Batman against Burton's Joker?

Burton's Batman kills Ledger's Joker by throwing him off a building or strapping a bomb to him. Maybe not entirely comics accurate, but for the really lethal villains Burton's Batman was a take no prisoners kind of guy and didn't stand around and chat long with them. He killed at least 3 guys in the bell tower scene alone. And even if Ledger's Joker isn't the Wayne's killer, it's arguable that Keaton's Batman could have a psychotic episode and "get nuts" and think that Ledger's Joker was his parents' murderer and kill him regardless. Then Burton's Batman whips out the homing batarang and takes out the rest of Joker's men with it, Joker's dogs jump up and eat it after it hits the last man and charge at Keaton, Keaton's Batman throws a gas/smoke capsule down, fires a grapple into the air, and disappears into the night. (While Keaton's Batman is my favorite, I do think they clearly wrote him to be interpreted as somewhat "psychotic", Bale's not so much, IMO. Bale's Wayne is more of the "straight man" and "sensible", IMO, not as "quirky" for lack of a better word, and probably more comics accurate in a way to a degree somewhat, even though I do prefer Keaton's Batman performance. Stoic and badass - not that Bale's wasn't, but Bale's wore his heart on his sleeve more but was badass in a different way, Keaton's Batman was more "cool" which is how I see Batman as being in the comics most the time)

Nolan's Batman gets gassed by Nicholson's Joker's laughing gas and falls ten stories onto a car, Alfred rescues him, Fox gives him an antidote which cures him in two days. Later, Bale's Batman drives the Tumbler over the Joker's floats, steps out to fight the Joker as Nicholson pulls out his massive gun from his pants and shoots him right in the chest; Bale's Batman fakes being dead, Nicholson's Joker walks over to observe the damage while singing "Singin' in the Rain", and out from behind him pops Commissioner Gordon with a gun and a swarm of cops, Joker turns away from Batman, distracted, Bale gets up and punches him right in the face. The fake chattering teeth fall out (loved that btw lol), and Gordon and his men arrest the Joker. Bale's Batman runs to get in the bat sitting in an alley nearby to disperse Fox's antidote into the air to counteract the laughing gas from Joker's balloons, but before he goes, Gordon shouts out to him: "I never cared who you were." Bale's Batman says: "And you were right." Gordon says: "...but shouldn't the people know the hero who saved them?", Bale's Batman says: "A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a young boy's shoulders to let him know that the world hadn't ended.", then he climbs in the bat. Gordon, watching the bat take off, says: "What the **** is he talking about?" Nicholson's Joker says: "Bruce Wayne...n'est pas?"

:woot:

Last edited:
That...doesn't make any sense.

As for the B89 v TDK smackdown: Batman wins in both scenarios. But TDK's Joker ends up dead.

They already made that movie. It's called Batman (1989). :woot:

That...doesn't make any sense.

Actually I kinda get it in a way. 89 is a "Batman" movie (I know Tim Burton directed it but it doesn't seem like a Tim Burton movie to me like Returns does, it seems like a Batman movie, same way Pee Wee's Big Adventure doesn't seem like a "Burton" film to me - Returns feels like a "Burton" movie like Edward Scissorhands, Nightmare Before Christmas, etc, if that makes sense), Returns is a "Tim Burton" movie, TDK trilogy is Nolan films....the 89 Batman had the right balance of everything. Not saying I agree with this post, but that I can kinda see this a little if I really reach a lot...

As for the B89 v TDK smackdown: Batman wins in both scenarios. But TDK's Joker ends up dead.

Agreed! Haha. :woot:

We should have done them as characters VS each other instead of a poll on preference...maybe next time, although I don't see why it can't be discussed here if that's what some of ya'll want to talk about. :) lol

Nolan overall, though I prefer Bruce Wayne's arc of Burton and Schumacher. Nolan's version has faults in it, mainly in BB and TDK, that were resolved in TDKR. Hell, I was even more impressed with the characterization of Bruce in B&R compared to BB and TDK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"