Bush: U.S. doesn't eavesdrop on phone calls of ordinary Americans

raybia said:
Where's the Native Americans, and Blacks and Hispanics?:confused:

They're just an urban myth created by the liberal media.

jaguarr said:
Props%20Top.jpg

jag

Reader said:
Yeah, it's true. Your post was the one that convinced me I should respond to the same comment that you were. It is a very important piece to REPEAT that terrorism is just a point of view and "terrorists" are active in their ideas and their actions everywhere. The Bush admin. is just using the word interchangeable with a person of Middle East descent.

I hope our ideas aren't that rare that we have to battle over who agrees with who. I'll give you props.

Erundur said:

awww, thanks guys. :D

Reader said:
You would know the political climate of your country better than me, so I hope your right. Not that the alternative is that great either. I'm kind of the philosophy that the last few Democrat presidents have been forced to respond to the pressure from the "Right" more often than institute interesting changes themselves. (Honestly, the last one of your presidents I liked or agreed with was FDR.)

Also: aren't "mid-term" elections usually more fortunate for the party out of the White House anyway? I know the last one didn't follow suit...but will Democrats controlling both 'houses' even be a good omen?

I just hope this November some people are elected that DON'T make me use a passport to cross the world's longest undefended border.

I kind of look at it as hoping for the lesser of evils to take power. :o What country are you from?

jag

jaguarr said:
I kind of look at it as hoping for the lesser of evils to take power. :o What country are you from?

jag

Oh. Canada.

Yeah...it's kind of silly to say so, but [blanket statement]I also hope a Dem wins[/blanket statement]. Who knows who he'll be, how white he will be, how boring he will be. I hope he wins.

Reader said:
Oh. Canada.

Yeah...it's kind of silly to say so, but [blanket statement]I also hope a Dem wins[/blanket statement]. Who knows who he'll be, how white he will be, how boring he will be. I hope he wins.

For a long while, Dem's and Republicans might have well as been the same party. The Dem's really seem like they're trying to differentiate themselves again. Howard Dean has been working very hard towards that end. Seems like they're really trying to refocus on the right issues. It's more promising that what we have now, that's for certain.

jag

All I see is the same people who *****ed about how the Government didn't do enough to prevent 9-11 are the same people who ***** when the Government does something to try to prevent future attacks.

jaguarr said:
For a long while, Dem's and Republicans might have well as been the same party. The Dem's really seem like they're trying to differentiate themselves again. Howard Dean has been working very hard towards that end. Seems like they're really trying to refocus on the right issues. It's more promising that what we have now, that's for certain.

jag

Good. I'll vote DEMOCRAT in 2008!

Joke context:

(( Does anyone remember when in Nixon, Anthony Hopkins/Nixon meets with the Chinese President (was it still Mao? Deng?) and he says, "I voted for you in your last election?" - I love that line! ))

souloffire said:
All I see is the same people who *****ed about how the Government didn't do enough to prevent 9-11 are the same people who ***** when the Government does something to try to prevent future attacks.

Yeah. If the Democrats were procuring their global economic and religious empire then America would be defenseless against attacks from them evil sand ******s.

Sorry.

It's unfortunate thought. But, no one can stop a plane. Only Mitchell Hundred from Brian K. Vaughan's Ex Machina. Both sides would claim they could have done a better job of it. That's their job. To say stuff like that.

And another thing:

Prevent future attacks? All I see is escalation of racism. You know what the real way to prevent future attacks? Is to stop acknowledging the differences among people based on the color of their skin. (Race is invented!) Racial profiling and wire taps and wars and bombings do nothing to prevent "terrorism" - terrorism is an idea and you need to fight it with ideas. And while America is the last place to come in with some world changing ideas (why change the world you created, after all), a Democrat would be more likely to do that.

Vote for the next dud democrat...that'll make you safer.

Armand Z Trip said:
I don't know if this has been posted before, but I guess journalists are not ordinary Americans, according to the FBI, journalists' phone records are fair game. Apparently to assist with leak investigations, not to fight terrorism.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/theblotter/2006/05/fbi_acknowledge.html

yeah, i saw that the other day and i think i even linked to it in another thread. it's pretty pathetic that this administration has basically waged a war on the media. this is just the latest example of their paranoia. :(

Reader said:
Yeah. If the Democrats were procuring their global economic and religious empire then America would be defenseless against attacks from them evil sand ******s.

Sorry.

It's unfortunate thought. But, no one can stop a plane. Only Mitchell Hundred from Brian K. Vaughan's Ex Machina. Both sides would claim they could have done a better job of it. That's their job. To say stuff like that.

And another thing:

Prevent future attacks? All I see is escalation of racism. You know what the real way to prevent future attacks? Is to stop acknowledging the differences among people based on the color of their skin. (Race is invented!) Racial profiling and wire taps and wars and bombings do nothing to prevent "terrorism" - terrorism is an idea and you need to fight it with ideas. And while America is the last place to come in with some world changing ideas (why change the world you created, after all), a Democrat would be more likely to do that.

Vote for the next dud democrat...that'll make you safer.
Unfortunately flying planes into buildings is a little more than a "idea". I agree that we need more than bombs and bullets to stop terrorism, but that doesn't mean we sit around with are heads up are asses hoping that if we don't "offend" them they'll stop bombing us.

And as for the "racism" part of you're post it is not are fault that Muslim extremists from the Middle East declared war on us. Keeping a closer eye on "Muslims from the Middle East" has nothing to do with racism, it makes perfect sense to target the people who attacked and declared war on you.

souloffire said:
Unfortunately flying planes into buildings is a little more than a "idea". I agree that we need more than bombs and bullets to stop terrorism, but that doesn't mean we sit around with are heads up are asses hoping that if we don't "offend" them they'll stop bombing us.

And as for the "racism" part of you're post it is not are fault that Muslim extremists from the Middle East declared war on us. Keeping a closer eye on "Muslims from the Middle East" has nothing to do with racism, it makes perfect sense to target the people who attacked and declared war on you.

It makes perfect sense to target the people who attacked and declared war on you?

So what's beef with Muslims from the Middle East? They're operating in perfect sense.

sinewave said:
the thing is, though, not all terrorists reside in the middle east. many of them are scattered throughout europe, asia and other continents accross the globe. besides, what about the peaceful middle-easterners who have moved to this country and have no ties to terrorism? is it right to listen in on their phone calls? say a muslim living over here with absolutely no ties to terrorism calls a family member in the middle-east and discusses how displeased he is with bush's policy, without making any threats of violence, and the nsa makes note of maybe some key words from their discussion. that person could be blacklisted, harrassed or even detained, all for doing absolutely nothing. and don't say that doesn't happen because the government is noted to have done that to several american citizens in the last few years. they call it "extraordinary rendition". that doesn't sit well with me. this administration seems to be taking things to an extreme measure, all under the guise of trying to protect it's citizens. i'm scared of how much farther they'll go if unchecked.

And they monitor those calls to Europe and Asia too.

It it bad to monitor former middle eastern citizens who call into known insurgent/terrorist areas? No.
If that was wrong and we couldnt do that then we couldnt monitor anyones calls....and then you have VERY little to go on to stop another 9/11.

I would gladly have my phone wrongly tapped if it meant they are trying to prevent another terrorist attack.

What do you think Bush is doing? Do you just think he enjoys tapping peoples phones for no reason? Do you think he just wants to eavesdrop on supsected terrorists because he doesnt like Arabs? or what?

Admiral_N8 said:

It it bad to monitor former middle eastern citizens who call into known insurgent/terrorist areas? No.
If that was wrong and we couldnt do that then we couldnt monitor anyones calls....and then you have VERY little to go on to stop another 9/11.

I would gladly have my phone wrongly tapped if it meant they are trying to prevent another terrorist attack.

What do you think Bush is doing? Do you just think he enjoys tapping peoples phones for no reason? Do you think he just wants to eavesdrop on supsected terrorists because he doesnt like Arabs? or what?

To answer your last questions. 1. Something very illegal. 2.yes. 3.Yes.

Reader said:
What about the ones who are calling the next farmhouse over, speaking in english about anti-american terrorist plans, who call the Appalachian mountain regions, and talk about bombs/visas and such?

This kind of knee-jerk reaction to characterize terrorists as Arabs (and Arabs as terrorists) is what took your country so long to accept Oklahoma City.

People are violent all over. It's probably pretty equal. You probably have as many domestic terrorists in America per capita as there are potential "terrorists" in the Middle East. (I mean, take your point of view and give it a little more racist white supremacy and all of a sudden you're not too far off from a neo-fascist trying to take down the 'Jew-controlled' government...aka a terrorist).

And this wire tapping business only operates on that tired, old racist idea that you just exspoused. It has nothing else to it.

Oh no how dare I discriminate, saying an Arab speaker is more likely to be from Al-queda....and more likely to be a threat :rolleyes:

Yes I am racist because I believe in the facts, that Al-queda and its TERRORIST allies speak arabic....how DARE me.

Darthphere said:
To answer your last questions. 1. Something very illegal. 2.yes. 3.Yes.

Wow, you think Bush just enjoys tapping peoples phones for no reason :rolleyes:

How silly....thats why people never take people like you seriously in the REAL world....because you let your emotions make you say something so absurd.

Admiral_N8 said:
Wow, you think Bush just enjoys tapping peoples phones for no reason :rolleyes:

How silly....thats why people never take people like you seriously in the REAL world....because you let your emotions make you say something so absurd.

His reason I admit is legitimate, though it doesnt change the fact that its an illegal act. Its very naive to believe were going to pick up a phone call saying something about an attack, terrorists believe it or not are highly intelligent beings. Now, I know the typical response will be, so you would rather he do nothing? No, id rather have him do something like this through the proper channels and show what evidence he has that he believes the person in question is dealing with terrorists. OMG, it takes too long to get a warrant. No, it doesnt. Simply put, theres no excuse for this. Absolutely. It also ignores that possibility of us ever getting any leads on a terrorist attack from a domestic group. Were focusing on Arabs, singling them out. How easily we forget about the Oklahaoma City bombing.

Admiral_N8 said:

I will not post the quote, but please, do read the quote by Benjamin Frankling. Thank you

Corinthian™ said:
I will not post the quote, but please, do read the quote by Benjamin Frankling. Thank you

Yes I've seen it a thousand times, and its the only defense people have against trying to protect the country by listening to phones...its getting boring.

Darthphere said:
His reason I admit is legitimate, though it doesnt change the fact that its an illegal act. Its very naive to believe were going to pick up a phone call saying something about an attack, terrorists believe it or not are highly intelligent beings. Now, I know the typical response will be, so you would rather he do nothing? No, id rather have him do something like this through the proper channels and show what evidence he has that he believes the person in question is dealing with terrorists. OMG, it takes too long to get a warrant. No, it doesnt. Simply put, theres no excuse for this. Absolutely. It also ignores that possibility of us ever getting any leads on a terrorist attack from a domestic group. Were focusing on Arabs, singling them out. How easily we forget about the Oklahaoma City bombing.

So now you think he isnt just doing it because he enjoys it??

OR do you still say you think he "he enjoys tapping peoples phones for no reason"??

And we arent singling Arabs out, as it was shown we monitor people NOT based on their skin color.

The "big scary threat of the terrorist boogey man" is just as boring too

Admiral_N8 said:
So now you think he isnt just doing it because he enjoys it??

OR do you still say you think he "he enjoys tapping peoples phones for no reason"??

And we arent singling Arabs out, as it was shown we monitor people NOT based on their skin color.

Oh, he probably does. He wants to know what people are saying, and by thinking this only relegates to people of Arab descent its naive as well. Your last sentence is LOL worthy.

Addendum said:
The "big scary threat of the terrorist boogey man" is just as boring too

:rolleyes:

Apparently you dont remember any of the terrorist attacks across the world??

Darthphere said:
Oh, he probably does. He wants to know what people are saying, and by thinking this only relegates to people of Arab descent its naive as well. Your last sentence is LOL worthy.

See, again, this is why people outside of the internet wouldnt take someone like you seriously. A person who ACTUALLY think Bush just gets his kicks from monitoring random peoples calls.

How silly.

So because terrorist attacks happen, means that I should blindly trust my government?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"