Cameron's "Avatar"

Status
Not open for further replies.
or maybe because the twilight movies already had a big fanbase and with avatar nooen from the general public knows about it . and there are not a lot of cameron and avatar fans who would bother filming it?

just because people think this trailer is good doesnt change the fact that the promotion is pathetic. and there is still not hype and still no mass promotion from this.

p.s.: so FOX is serious with thursday? so it was not a joke? they really want to realese the trailer on a thursday?

Yeah, promotion for this film has been surprisingly miniscule. Not that I think it'll flop, but with the amount of time and money invested into this film, you'd like to think they'd have done more. If anything, I question them releasing it so soon. They teaser that was released back in August should be what we're getting now, prepping for an early Summer release next year. Give the movie some real time to build buzz. As it stands, the movie comes out in just over six weeks, and we're only now getting a full trailer? Granted, it's gonna be a minute longer than your average full trailer (three and a half minutes), but still. Not to mention figuring out how much time Worthington will even have to promote the film, as he's still knee-deep in filming for Clash of the Titans.

I really hope Fox lays out a huge promotional deal for Avatar. It's supposed an event film, not a sleeper hit.

Yeah, promotion for this film has been surprisingly miniscule. Not that I think it'll flop, but with the amount of time and money invested into this film, you'd like to think they'd have done more. If anything, I question them releasing it so soon. They teaser that was released back in August should be what we're getting now, prepping for an early Summer release next year. Give the movie some real time to build buzz. As it stands, the movie comes out in just over six weeks, and we're only now getting a full trailer? Granted, it's gonna be a minute longer than your average full trailer (three and a half minutes), but still. Not to mention figuring out how much time Worthington will even have to promote the film, as he's still knee-deep in filming for Clash of the Titans.

Agreed. Sam is still filming COTT? Thought that was done months ago. Its coming out next March or April after all. Bad job by Fox, which is suprising. I mean the one movie they go all out and they are late on the marketing? I get that everything needs to be perfect, but how many people honestly know this film is even coming? I don't here anyone talking about it.

Last edited:
I am spaming my friends with avatar treilers, images and what not. And reactions are:"Hey! Cool! We must go see it this weekend!" And than:"What?! It comes out in December? Ah.. Let me know when it comes out...."

While the bootleg version was pretty poor quality, the trailer was astounding, it definitely solidifies why I was excited for this film in the first place. After the first trailer my anticipation kind of dropped, but it's back up after this one. It looks epic as anything while telling a moving story at the same time. And is it just me or does it seem like the CGI is integrated more seamlessly within this trailer than within the last trailer?

Agreed. Sam is still filming COTT? Thought that was done months ago. Its coming out next March or April after all.

I may be wrong. But still. They need to haul ass and book him on some talk shows soon.

Bad job by Fox, which is suprising. I mean the one movie they go all out and they are late on the marketing? I get that everything needs to be perfect, but how many people honestly know this film is even coming? I don't here anyone talking about it.

Not to mention the confusion over the movie being called "Avatar" and when we've got a movie coming out based on Nickelodeon's Avatar: The Last Airbender. To be fair, it's a minor concern, and ultimately affected the latter film more, as they ultimately had the change the name for the movie version of their property.

I can only assume Fox wants in on technical award nominations come Oscar time (is Dec 18 within the deadline for this year?). As it stands, this would be the only real competition of the likeliest winner for the award, being Transformers II. Not to mention a possible best director nod for Cameron if the movie ends up being that good. Bias against sci-fi or not, the Academy likes Cameron, and remember, Sigourney Weaver got the best actress nomination for her work in the Cameron-directed Aliens.

Bottom line, Fox really needs this to be a hit. Even if it only garners mixed critical feedback, it definitely needs to blow the doors off the box office. This is a very expensive experiment in filmmaking, and a lot of folks are curious to see how it turns out.

I may be wrong. But still. They need to haul ass and book him on some talk shows soon.

Not to mention the confusion over the movie being called "Avatar" and when we've got a movie coming out based on Nickelodeon's Avatar: The Last Airbender. To be fair, it's a minor concern, and ultimately affected the latter film more, as they ultimately had the change the name for the movie version of their property.

I can only assume Fox wants in on technical award nominations come Oscar time (is Dec 18 within the deadline for this year?). As it stands, this would be the only real competition of the likeliest winner for the award, being Transformers II. Not to mention a possible best director nod for Cameron if the movie ends up being that good. Bias against sci-fi or not, the Academy likes Cameron, and remember, Sigourney Weaver got the best actress nomination for her work in the Cameron-directed Aliens.

Bottom line, Fox really needs this to be a hit. Even if it only garners mixed critical feedback, it definitely needs to blow the doors off the box office. This is a very expensive experiment in filmmaking, and a lot of folks are curious to see how it turns out.

Yes. The Oscar announcements aren't until February and the actual show isn't until March. The reason for this is because the Oscars did not want to compete with the Winter Olympics on NBC.

Yes. The Oscar announcements aren't until February and the actual show isn't until March. The reason for this is because the Oscars did not want to compete with the Winter Olympics on NBC.

No, I'm talking about the deadline for eligibility for nomination in general. The film has to be released within a certain timeframe, so yes, announcement of the nominations are in February, but when do they start the process of voting on the films to see which will be nominated?

Avatar -> geeks who are happy with a reasonaly good quality cam footage
Twilight -> estrogen raging tween girl demanding better quality footage of hot shirtless men to fantasize about.
Actually, you'd think that there would be MORE internet geeks clamoring to see the CGI better. It's supposed to be revolutionary, no? :oldrazz:

BOM folks surmised that maybe Fox released the bootleg themselves to drum up interest. It did come up super-early, after all. :o

i wonder if they somehow found a way to have longer movies in IMAX because of avatar.
IIRC the time limits for IMAX was because of the physical size of the reel. If it's in IMAX digital, there's no limit at all.

Amusingly, the Shyamalan-directed Avatar movie had its named changed to "The Last Airbender."

Oscars don't really mean anything in terms of box office, unless it's a tiny movie that otherwise wouldn't have gotten the attention. And yes, the visual effects Oscar is pretty much in the bag for Avatar.

No, I'm talking about the deadline for eligibility for nomination in general. The film has to be released within a certain timeframe, so yes, announcement of the nominations are in February, but when do they start the process of voting on the films to see which will be nominated?
It has to be released Dec. 31 or before. Voting begins end of December - this year the ballots will be mailed on the 28th.

Wow the new trailer restored my faith in this movie!!! Long Live James Cameron!!!

James Cameron explains the lack of marketing a little here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7i00LPrGvQ

Yeah, I guess I can see where he's coming from, and I definitely agree that we see too much of the filmmaking process for a lot of films BEFORE they're ever released. And what little I've seen, I do find myself asking "How the hell did they do that?!" Everything he said about the whole rain forest being CGI, especially. Some of those shots I'd swear were some sort of actual footage. Can't wait to see the new trailer when it's officially released.

Pandora is a moon of Polyphemis, a Jupiter-like gas giant, so I guess Avatar 2 could take place there.

Although, I'd hold off on Avatar 2 until the outcome of this first film and how well it does at the box office.

Cameron doesn't have to hold off, honestly. He's James Cameron. If this movie bombs, he can fund sequels all he wants if he wants to make them, just for the hell of it.

i doubt that this movie is going to bomb, the 3D tickets cost more and most of internet that knows about this movie and cant wait will get it in 3D then you have your GA that will take their kids to see this before Christmas rolls off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"