Can animals commit suicide?

E. Bison

Superhero
Reaction score
dialog-vega1.gif
It seems that my friends dog has done just that. This dog that he has had been tied up in the back yard for years and after the majority of the family that showed it affection left he was depressed. Since the only family members that showed him affection left he was very sad and three weeks later it hung itself on its own chain over a fence. Was is fascinating is that the dog has jumped over the fence many other times without haning itself and lived. When it was found this time dead it seemed as if it on purposely pulled itself hard on it's neck and either choked to death or it broke its own neck.

Can animals commit suicide? Was this dog just really stupid or was it really hurt inside. What do you guys think?

If they can't, I want the legislation passed so they can.

yup, dolphins are known to kill them selfs aswell, many already have, what they do is they swim to the very bottom of the water, and then stay down there intill they can not hold their breath anymore so they drown,
this usally only happens when they are put in zoo's and those water shows when they don't want to be.

they can be self sacrificing. for example, Belding’s ground squirrels. they make two different alarm calls. one is for aerial predators, and the other for predators on the ground. When they make the calls on the ground, they are sacrificing themselves for the good of the group because the predator will more than likely go for them. When they make the aerial call they are actually protecting themselves because the all the other squrells make mad dashes and the predators get confused and are more than likely to catch one of the squirrels running around.

dialog-vega1.gif
i have trianed squirrels that will attack on my command!! Mwhahahahaha

i am also know to steal other peoples plans! and their persona! Mwhahahaha

The Lumberjack said:
Lemmings, man. Lemmings.

Actually, that's a myth, purpetuated by a Disney documentary called Wild Wilderness where they forced lemmings over a cliff from off camera.

WallCrawl said:
Actually, that's a myth, purpetuated by a Disney documentary called Wild Wilderness where they forced lemmings over a cliff from off camera.
Actually it's a fact supported by the doctrine of fork and don't make me look silly.

The shadaloo Orginazation is going to fall!! once I Invade them with my Stronger Soilders!!
dialog-vega1.gif

Super Flight said:
The shadaloo Orginazation is going to fall!! once I Invade them with my Stronger Soilders!!
dialog-vega1.gif

*GASP* A doppleganger!:eek:

The Lumberjack said:
Actually it's a fact supported by the doctrine of fork and don't make me look silly.

I don't have to, you do more than an adequate job yourself.

Well, my mother's dog refuses to eat whenever my mother takes extended leaves of absence. I guess willing, severe starvation like that could be considered animal suicide.

WallCrawl said:

I must concur here. It's widely documented that those poor creatures were driven off the cliff by off camera personnel. Oh the things you could get away with back in the late 50's/ early 60's.

http://www.snopes.com/disney/films/lemmings.htm

WallCrawl said:
I don't have to, you do more than an adequate job yourself.
Okay, I'd just heard the lemmings thing off-hand a few times, so it's no big deal that it isn't true. I didn't really get mad and the comment I made was sarcastic. Maybe I should include smiley faces in every post from now on so people will get it.;):D:):o

The dog could have tried to escape. I'd imagine if it was chained outside all the time and everyone who was affectionate with it left, it would be very depressed.

Hmmm...homosapiens are concidered animals...so Ill say yeah,Im pretty sure they can

There is this one species of rodents that kill themselves by running off a cliff so that its race won't get overpopulated and have food shortage.

passerby said:
There is this one species of rodents that kill themselves by running off a cliff so that its race won't get overpopulated and have food shortage.
WallCrawl, this is your cue.:D:up::up::D

I would have to say that story is sad,yet interesting.I could imagine there was a weird..unexplainable aura around when you saw that.Yes,animals are smarter than we give them credit.I could belive it if they can commit suicide.

thats a darn good question, I've never thought of that before

Jourmugand said:
I would have to say that story is sad,yet interesting.I could imagine there was a weird..unexplainable aura around when you saw that.Yes,animals are smarter than we give them credit.I could belive it if they can commit suicide.

my friends dog ran around a post he was tied to and hug himself....

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"