Can Illumination Entertainment make a Namor movie?

Spooderman

Civilian
Reaction score
Similar to this thread, but concerning the Sub-Mariner

The movie rights for Namor are owned by Universal, and while in the past it might have been possible for him to be in the MCU (Iron Man was distributed by Viacom, and Hulk was distributed by Universal), now that Disney has bought Marvel, it's unlikely that that will be the case.

I don't think a Namor film franchise can survive without being a part of the MCU, because he isn't very popular, so they probably won't make a big budgeted live action film. However, Illumination Entertainment's animated films have been successful (as well as animated films in general) so would it be possible for them to make an animated Namor film?

I support Marvel just paying cash to get the Sub-Mariner rights back, or not really cooperating with Universal's "development" until the rights finally lapse. I'm a fan of Namor, but I just don't see him being able to spin off into some kind of "Namorverse" series of films (which at this point would be severely handicapped by being cut off from the various characters that are tied into Sony, Fox and Disney.)

On top of that, at the risk of being cynical, I would even see a straight-up Sub-Mariner movie without any kind of character lead-in as being even more risky than the other Marvel Studios films. How much of the film is at sea or underwater? How expensive would it be to portray folks operating in their natural environment? (Do Atlanteans even 'walk' or do they just float? Maybe the producers can consult with the Gravity filmmaker on how they handled those issues.)

Even taking into account the hits, high-concept 'sea epics' have had a mixed record at the modern box office (e.g., WaterWorld, Cutthroat Island). I'd rather see Sub-Mariner be a guest character somewhere first, for a movie or two.

He could be introduced as a threat to the Avengers, something incited by Roxxon.
In the end he shows he is actually a good guy, sort of, despite being a *****e.

Universal are never going to make a Namor movie. The character is C-list, at best, and probably none of the general public even know who he is. They have no other superheroes for him to interact with and he's not really strong enough to hold his own franchise. They have more to lose by making a movie than to gain. Betting Marvel will have the rights back within the next 2-3 years.

Universal are never going to make a Namor movie. The character is C-list, at best, and probably none of the general public even know who he is. They have no other superheroes for him to interact with and he's not really strong enough to hold his own franchise. They have more to lose by making a movie than to gain. Betting Marvel will have the rights back within the next 2-3 years.

Will get killed for saying this but.....rather would see an Aquaman movie instead of Namor

Well Aquaman is part of the JLA and Namor is part of nothing really. He's just an antagonist of the FF. Namor couldn't support a movie by himself as he has nothing to attach to beyond himself.

Your objection that Namor is a "C-list" hero has been said of every one of the heroes that Marvel Studios has made into A-list stars. Given the right script, director and star any one of Marvel's heroes has the potential to become popular. If Marvel had Namor's rights they would be developing a vehicle for him now or at least planning to use him in another franchise.

Well Aquaman is part of the JLA and Namor is part of nothing really. He's just an antagonist of the FF. Namor couldn't support a movie by himself as he has nothing to attach to beyond himself.

Namor was part of the Defenders for quite a while, along with Doctor Strange, Hawkeye, Hulk and others. He could easily be folded into a team or even featured as a villain/antihero in another franchise. He has a long and fraught history with Captain America, for instance, as well as a more recent war with Black Panther. Namor could even work with/against the Hulk or War Machine. There are many possible ways to use him, if only Marvel had the rights.

If they could make a Defenders movie they might be able to use him but the original question was could they make one just for him and make it successful to that I have to say no. Outside of the FF he really isn't that well known besides being Marvels Aquaman. As for putting him alongside Cap, in the Cap movie there was no mention of any other types of SPBs other than Cap and the Red Skull and to add him in under war time secrets would be stretching it. They might be able to do it but it's unlikely they will. An animated movie like the Doctor Strange one might work.

Your objection that Namor is a "C-list" hero has been said of every one of the heroes that Marvel Studios has made into A-list stars. Given the right script, director and star any one of Marvel's heroes has the potential to become popular. If Marvel had Namor's rights they would be developing a vehicle for him now or at least planning to use him in another franchise.

Sure, he can become an A-lister, but not on his own at Universal. He's not like Spider-Man where you can create a whole cinematic universe around that one character because of 50 years of rich history and popularity... It's Namor. I sound pessimistic but without inclusion in the MCU a Namor movie would be pointless.

Agreed. A lot of what makes Namor notable is his relationships to various other people in the Marvel universe: the Fantastic Four, Dr Doom, Captain America. Without them, he's just an Aquaman clone ( except for the whole "coming first" thing ).

I'd love to see what Marvel could do to add him into the universe they've created on film. It's just odd that Universal has the rights and have never heard any indication that they're going to do anything with it.

I think people are starting to exagerate by rating every new hero into lower than B-List. Let me tell you, that while not exactly an A-List, Namor isn't exactly an unknown. Before i even started reading comics i knew more or less who he wasit's not as if he was a complete shadow.

Namor is part of The Defenders, AND The Avengers.

THANK you! And let's not forget Blade either, whom the general audience had no idea of before his movies came out as well.

Anything is possible with a good creative team. They will have to re-invent the character. Add brand new characters.
I could see a fish out of water story working(no pun intended). Something like Starman.
Surprised Fox hasn't got the Sub Mariner due to his association with the fantastic four. Is there a chance that there are dual rights, like Fox and Marvel sharing Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch?

I think people are starting to exagerate by rating every new hero into lower than B-List. Let me tell you, that while not exactly an A-List, Namor isn't exactly an unknown. Before i even started reading comics i knew more or less who he wasit's not as if he was a complete shadow.

Yes. Older comic fans especially know who Namor is. Namor was once a top 5-10 Marvel character, and a lynchpin of the shared Marvel Comics Universe, showing up as a hero and a villain in the pages of Fantastic 4, The Hulk, The Avengers, The Defenders, and his eponymous comic.

He's admittedly been at a low in popularity since the early 90s, but Thor and Captain America were in that boat 10 years ago, and are no starring in $600 M solo films. There's no limit to Namor's potential if he gets back in Marvel Studios hands.

I don't know much about the character, but with him being something of an outsider to the surface world, you could start the movie with the focus on a supporting character, and show Namor from a third-person perspective. Like how Thor was introduced via Jane Foster, or how parts of Man of Steel were from Lois' perspective.

Skimming the wiki pages suggests Betty Dean as a likely candidate.

Right now it seems Aquaman will be beating him to the screen 1st.

I don't see much appeal in a Namor movie. He functions much better as either an antagonist or supporting character. The interesting part about him is how he interacts with the surface characters.

Do we even know for sure that Universal has the full film rights? I thought they only had first choice when it came to distributing a Namor movie, same as with a Hulk movie.

Right now it seems Aquaman will be beating him to the screen 1st.

It ain't about who gets there first so much as it is who gets there first without sucking. Same deal goes for Wonder Woman. GL did the space-based comic book movie before GotG but it didn't matter because GL sucked and bombed.

I don't really get the appeal of Namor in a solo capacity so I'm not worried. Now as an antagonist in a future Avengers or Black Panther sequel? I'd be very into that.

It ain't about who gets there first so much as it is who gets there first without sucking. Same deal goes for Wonder Woman. GL did the space-based comic book movie before GotG but it didn't matter because GL sucked and bombed.

I agree somewhat. I was thinking if Aquaman beat him to the screen, the avg. movie goer doesn't know Namor & would think Marvel is ripping off DC. However we do know thats not the case.

Lets be real. No one outside die hard Namor fans will care about a Namor film without any connection to MCU or the FF. Its pointless and will fail. This is 2015 and cinematic universes and crossovers are all the rage. Universal isn't stupid. And why even talk about this. They can't make a film. The rights are complicated. Universal probably have distribution like Hulk. Disney wants full control of their characters and they are focusing on those they have along with Spidey.

Do we even know for sure that Universal has the full film rights? I thought they only had first choice when it came to distributing a Namor movie, same as with a Hulk movie.

Marvel owns the license again but it's "complicated".

IGN recently sat down with Kevin Feige to talk about whether Marvel and Disney were free to make a Namor movie, and his answer was yes. Basically yes. With a caveat.
It’s slightly more complicated than that. Let’s put it this way – there are entanglements that make it less easy. There are older contracts that still involve other parties that mean we need to work things out before we move forward on it. As opposed to an Iron Man or any of the Avengers or any of the other Marvel characters where we could just put them in.​
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Rights-Namor-Movie-Back-Marvel-Mostly-66323.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"