can it be justifiable to take a vacation you probably can't afford?

Nell2ThaIzzay

Avenger
Reaction score
No, I'm not talking about going to Cancun or Hawaii or something.

I haven't been home to see my family in a year and a half. I've seen my parents once since the last time I've been out there (well, my dad twice as he came out here again), and unfortunately, I can't make it home for Christmas.

My next semester doesn't start until January 14. My 2nd job that I took for Winter Break ends January 2nd. I'll have 2 weeks. I took a 2nd job to make some extra money - money that I am now thinking of using to take some time off from my regular job, and take a little vacation to go home to see my family.

I'd probably be much better served saving that extra few hundred bucks I'll make with this 2nd job, but I also think that going home will be rather theraputic for me. I've had a very rough year, and I could use a break. If I don't go now, I probably won't have another chance until the summer.

Decisions decisions.

Sounds to me like you can afford to go. I always get buyer's remorse as soon as I spend a lot of money but I think you should go for it. I'm sure your family will appreciate it.

The only problem I have is that my dad and I just had a talk about finances the other day - basically, with my going to school, I can't work 2 jobs, and the amount of money that I'm making isn't enough on it's own to support me. So since I'm going to school, my dad decided on some financial support that he wanted to give me, and when it's basically my dad's money, I hate to do something like that.

Ah... Good point. I've been in similar situations before. If it were me I'd probably just ask my Dad if he wanted me to spend the money to come in or just save it. It is his money sort of anyway.

Spend it on some hookers and booze.

And I know exactly what my dad would say, lol. He'd say save it.

But a part of me needs this. I need a vacation - I need a break. I really do. And I need to get home. I haven't been home in so long, and the truth of the matter is, where I'm living now isn't where I want to be by any means, I want to be back in California. I just don't think I could do in California what I am doing here. But I really think a trip home, back to California, and to see all my friends and family, will be very theraputic for me.

I also feel I need to exercise some demons by getting on a plane. I was supposed to go home last Christmas, but had an emotional breakdown and couldn't get on the plane because I had anxiety attacks about flying. I've flown before, but for some reason this time, I was crippled to get on the plane. I couldn't bring myself to do it.

A part of me feels like I need to get on a plane to redeem myself for last time.

Unless your name is Ahura Mazda, you will be vacationing in your backyard like the rest of us.

I say go home, it'd be good to get a break, if your dad gives you crap, tell him you got a 2nd job during the holidays for this reason, to pay for a trip home. I'd think any family wouldn't be pissed to have their son home for a week or two.

I think you should go home. You can certainly save those money, but if you have this vacation it will probably help you in the long run, and prepare you emotionally to get through the upcoming year. We all need some break every once in awhile, and this is a break that you can definitely use.

Last edited:
And I know exactly what my dad would say, lol. He'd say save it.

But a part of me needs this. I need a vacation - I need a break. I really do. And I need to get home. I haven't been home in so long, and the truth of the matter is, where I'm living now isn't where I want to be by any means, I want to be back in California. I just don't think I could do in California what I am doing here. But I really think a trip home, back to California, and to see all my friends and family, will be very theraputic for me.

I also feel I need to exercise some demons by getting on a plane. I was supposed to go home last Christmas, but had an emotional breakdown and couldn't get on the plane because I had anxiety attacks about flying. I've flown before, but for some reason this time, I was crippled to get on the plane. I couldn't bring myself to do it.

A part of me feels like I need to get on a plane to redeem myself for last time.

I agree with the others. Spend the money to see your family.

1. How far is the trip?
2. How much will the trip cost?

These are the two things you need to consider. If you can drive it, then go for it. You can drive pretty far on fairly little money. Especially, if you are traveling alone and don't mind driving for long stretches. I used to drive 12-16 hours at a time with out much trouble. I can also understand your father's point of view. Last year, I took my family from Atlanta to just north of Baltimore to visit my parents for Christmas. Then in January, I had to hit my dad up for help with my rent. I hope this helps.

1. How far is the trip?
2. How much will the trip cost?

These are the two things you need to consider. If you can drive it, then go for it. You can drive pretty far on fairly little money. Especially, if you are traveling alone and don't mind driving for long stretches. I used to drive 12-16 hours at a time with out much trouble. I can also understand your father's point of view. Last year, I took my family from Atlanta to just north of Baltimore to visit my parents for Christmas. Then in January, I had to hit my dad up for help with my rent. I hope this helps.

I agree with this post. Try to drive to do your best to save money. If you absolutely have to take this vacation then go for it as cheaply as you can. If you can wait it out though, then save the money. I would personally save the money, but I understand you really wanting the vacation badly.

To fly, it would cost me $600 round trip, at least with what I've looked up, but I haven't done extensive research.

To drive, it would be from Nashville, Tennessee to San Jose, California, which is a 3 day drive at 12 hours a day. So with all the gas, and hotel rooms, I'd probably be looking a few hundred to drive anyways.

Unfortunately with flying comes my anxiety which stopped me from getting on a plane last year, so it's also going to be a battle getting over that in order to get on a plane. Which is something I need to do, because flying is something I'm going to have to do, especially with a wedding coming up in August that I have to attend (seeing as how I am my best friend's best man), and I will need to get on a plane to get myself to Colorado.

If you can afford it but it'll make things "tight" I'd do it. I'm in the UK now with my British hubby who hadn't been home in 2 years. It's made things a bit tight with money (especially since I'm on a week without pay from work) but the smile on his face when he got to go out to the pub with his mates and when he saw his mum and dad are WELL worth the financial strain.

Don't take family and friends for granted! :)

Map out your expected expenses for the next month. I mean map out everything. Rent, food, laundry detergent, school-- all the stuff your normally or just occasionally buy.

Compare that to how much you expect to make this month from your regular job, plus the extra money you made on your second job.

How much of your money could possibly go toward visiting your family? If it's enough, go for it.

Map out your expected expenses for the next month. I mean map out everything. Rent, food, laundry detergent, school-- all the stuff your normally or just occasionally buy.

Compare that to how much you expect to make this month from your regular job, plus the extra money you made on your second job.

How much of your money could possibly go toward visiting your family? If it's enough, go for it.

Thinking about it, I don't think that what I'd make extra would be enough to cover the trip. I'd have to dig into my "emergency fund", which is basically my dad's money that he gave me to cover any unexpected emergency expenditures. Going into that is definitely not something that I want to do. BUT, even if I don't go anywhere, I may very well just take a week off of work anyways. If I can't afford a trip to California, perhaps I can afford a road trip to go see my friend in Boston or something. Or even just take a week to myself. I really wish that 1. I could afford to go home to California and 2. I wasn't so afraid to set foot on an airplane.

No, I'm not talking about going to Cancun or Hawaii or something.

I haven't been home to see my family in a year and a half. I've seen my parents once since the last time I've been out there (well, my dad twice as he came out here again), and unfortunately, I can't make it home for Christmas.

My next semester doesn't start until January 14. My 2nd job that I took for Winter Break ends January 2nd. I'll have 2 weeks. I took a 2nd job to make some extra money - money that I am now thinking of using to take some time off from my regular job, and take a little vacation to go home to see my family.

I'd probably be much better served saving that extra few hundred bucks I'll make with this 2nd job, but I also think that going home will be rather theraputic for me. I've had a very rough year, and I could use a break. If I don't go now, I probably won't have another chance until the summer.

Decisions decisions.

Better take the opportunities to visit family when you can. You never know when it will be too late. Remember what Harry Chapin said?

[YT]zH46SmVv8SU[/YT]

Oh man do I feel dumb.

I figured out my finances. Extra money that I would have had to spend was looking at about $200. The cost of the plane ticket would have been $438. Wouldn't have had to worry about hotels or anything, cuz my parents obviously would have given me a place to stay while I was out there.

So, since I didn't have enough money to go home for my vacation, I decided to go ahead and take that money and spend it on myself - bought some clothes, and an X-Box game.

Then today, as I'm calling up a couple places to pay my bills, I find out that my bills have already been paid for this month - leaving me with an extra $260 that I wasn't counting on having.

Had I not spent the $200 I already had, I would have had $460, which would have covered a trip back home. :(

Bills would have been paid off. Emergency fund would have been left in tact. And I would have had enough money extra to do it. *sigh*

Somewhat in the same boat as you.... finally got the money I want in our family vacation account to take a cruise this spring.... but, no I don't want to spend it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"