Got a new job, hate my current one ... Should I just stop going?

Rocketman

Superhero
Reaction score
- Long story short, I hated my current job, so I got new one.

- I was nice enough to put in my 2 weeks at my current job, just for their convenience.

- The new job wanted me to start right away, and I looooove this new job, so I agreed.

- So now I'm working both jobs at once for the next 2 weeks, working 60+ hours a week. I don't have a single day off until March 24th (not a big deal).

- The current job that I'm leaving is now treating me like total crap. And now I'm asking myself, "Why even bother going?"

- The ONLY reason it would make sense to go to my current job is just so I can make extra money for these last 2 weeks. Right?

Or should I just say "**** them" and quit now?

Don't ever deprive yourself of the satisfaction of looking your boss in the eyes and quitting.

:cap: :cap: :cap:

Still, if you can manage it, two weeks of two income streams will put you far ahead, and you may never get this opportunity again. I say leave for old job on a high note; there is no real, practical upside to giving your old boss the finger for any reason.

How exactly are they treating you like crap? How bad is it?

Because otherwise, I think I agree with everyone else, take the opportunity while you have it to work extra hours these 2 weeks and make extra $$$

I never like to burn bridges but if your boss is treating you like ****, and you don't need anything from him in the future (recommendation, letter of reference, whatever) I would just stop going, that is, if you don't really need the money.

It's always wise not to burn bridges with old jobs and managers.

But if you already have the new job and you don't need anything from your old job (recommendation, reference, etc.), and you can get by without the extra money, then it's your call.

Honestly, if I already for sure had the new job and I felt I was being treated really disrespectfully, I would probably just say see ya and commit 100% to the new job...but ONLY if I felt totally secure that I didn't need them anymore.

It's always wise not to burn bridges with old jobs and managers.

This.

You can never tell when you might encounter that person again, or possibly need their help. Ride it out to the end, and quit when you're supposed to.

How are they being disrespectful? Instead of quitting outright, just bring it up to your "old" boss. If he doesn't fix it, and continues to disrespect you, then quit.

Give him a stone cold stunner!

Or this. Best advice yet.

But if you're not into the whole Stone Cold Stunning of people, then I do agree that burning bridges is not a good idea in the professional world. I'd just ride it out if you can.

Just go into the job you hate and do it really half-assed.

All of these ideas have been great, guys. :BA

Here's what I've decided (as of now).

I'm just going to keep going. I've got 12 days left. Meanwhile, I can do the job half-assed, slack off, and just collect extra money. If they don't like what I'm doing, they can just fire me. Either way, I win. Also, I've decided to just go at my own convenience. For example, I work 3:30-11:30PM tonight, and right now I'm not 100% sure I'm going. I LOVE that feeling. I'm literally going JUST because I want some extra cash, and there's nothing they can do about it.

I'll delve into why I'm leaving this place soon. :jedi

- Long story short, I hated my current job, so I got new one.

- I was nice enough to put in my 2 weeks at my current job, just for their convenience.

- The new job wanted me to start right away, and I looooove this new job, so I agreed.

- So now I'm working both jobs at once for the next 2 weeks, working 60+ hours a week. I don't have a single day off until March 24th (not a big deal).

- The current job that I'm leaving is now treating me like total crap. And now I'm asking myself, "Why even bother going?"

- The ONLY reason it would make sense to go to my current job is just so I can make extra money for these last 2 weeks. Right?

Or should I just say "**** them" and quit now?

I remember when I was about to gradulate college and leave town, I had a job at Best Buy, really hated it and knew I wouldn't need anything from the place. So the week after Thanksgiving I just stopped going to work, it gave me a great amount of satisfaction, there were no negative reprecussions for me professionally. I knew I'd never live in town again and was going into the "corporate" world, not retail and didn't need a reference. If that's the type of job you have, just stop going, ignore the first day they call asking why you're not there, the next day, pick up the phone and just say "I quit", not even hello, it's fun.

However, if you need something from this job in the future like a reference, don't do that. I moved across country last spring for my fiancees job and was able to keep my old job and just work from home. A few months later I got a new job in the city we live in now, I wasn't happy at my old job, but knew the reference could possibly come in handy if needed and they did keep me on when we moved when they could have easily let me go. So I worked part time while they found someone to take over my job, it sucked working all day, then coming home and doing a few hours of work for the old place. The extra pay was nice though. It it's a professional job in the career you want to stay in, just grin and bear it. If it's BS retail, just stop going.

It's crappy retail. Target. And they treat you like crap there.
But, fortunately I've got like 5-6 references already lined up from there, and all 5 of them HATE it there and also want out (they're jealous of me). One of the references is an assistant manager, another one works in Assets Protection (like a security guard), and they all think it would be hilarious if I told Target to go **** themselves. :word: So, either way, it's not like I'm LOSING references.

You should stage an employee riot on your last day. Proletariat Revolution!

Still, if you can manage it, two weeks of two income streams will put you far ahead, and you may never get this opportunity again. I say leave for old job on a high note; there is no real, practical upside to giving your old boss the finger for any reason.

What he said.

It's never wise to burn bridges. I would stick it out through your two week notice.

go for the money; but if you don't need the money, **** it just stop going . . . especially if you plan on having this new job for a while, and it is a step up professionally . . . retail doesn't mean much in the real world; it's always a stepping stone

i'd stop going to the old job. f***'em. burning bridges? they shouldnt be treating you like crap. how can you be expected to respect someone that clearly isnt respecting you? you have no obligation to them. you owe them no favors. you no longer need anything from them. no need to torture yerself. get the satisfaction of screwing them over, if you feel they deserve it.

It's crappy retail. Target. And they treat you like crap there.
But, fortunately I've got like 5-6 references already lined up from there, and all 5 of them HATE it there and also want out (they're jealous of me). One of the references is an assistant manager, another one works in Assets Protection (like a security guard), and they all think it would be hilarious if I told Target to go **** themselves. :word: So, either way, it's not like I'm LOSING references.

It's at Target, well then, burn baby burn! Everyone needs a great quitting story, here's your chance to have yours.

I remember one of my good friends had a great one. The night before he set up his chair just right so it was right by the fax machine. The next morning when he was supposed to be in the office, he sent a fax saying he quit that should have landed neatly on his chair. Another friend went on break and never came back. I knew someone else who went to a team meeting and just threw their shirt into the manager's face said I quit and left. Do something memorable, how you quit this job won't follow you around.

The Blockbuster I've worked at for three years is closing, so I got a second job and have been working there since the beginning of last month. So now I work both of them and go to school full time. I felt like abandoning Blockbuster would be rude considering I really do like everyone I work with, and two employees already left leaving me as the only customer service rep there, where as the other four are just managers.

Working two jobs is nice, because it pays well. :up:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"