Can you install a program without installing?

Discussion in 'Tech & Support' started by Raiden, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Raiden Wakanda Forever

Recently I deleted a program from my wife's computer because I thought it was faulty, and wanted to reinstall it to see if it will improve its performance. However, I could not find an installation program on the net, and while I have the same program on my computer I don't have a setup.exe program. I was thinking about just porting the program over to my wife's computer, but that would mean that the program is there without installation. Would it work?

2. RetrogradeOrbit Do I look like I'm joking?

It almost certainly won't work. Most Windows programs have to make additions to the registry in order for them to be able to function. There can be dozens or even hundreds of registry entries made by an installer and sometimes they will be unique to the PC it has been originally installed upon.

So the short answer is, no. Sorry. :)