• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Can you watch long movies?

this:

i think ebert said it best(i think it was him)

"a good movie can never be too long and a bad movie can never be too short"

and this:

The longer the movie the better to me.I personally love epics.Godfather II,Gone With The Wind,Lawrence Of Arabia,Spartacus etc...

Almost all of my favorite films are true epics.

speaking of Gone With The Wind, its on TCM right now...

I like any length of movie, but I don't often have time to watch a long one all at once. I can't remember the last time I watched a movie at home that was longer than 2 1/2 hours in one sitting.

Well, I saw King Kong and There Will Be Blood in theaters like 3-4 times..

If the movie is interesting and/or entertaining, running time won't matter..

The problem with Peter Jackson's King Kong remake is that it focuses on minor characters we don't care about (Jack Black, Kyle Chandler, Adrien Brody, Jamie Bell, et al). Add in that damn insect pit sequence, and well... cutting 20-40 minutes would've benefited the pacing immensely. But what Jackson got right, he nailed it (Naomi Watts, Andy Serkis, score, the visual effects). I just wish he was more disciplined and kept timing in mind during post-production.

That said, I can watch long movies but they have to be engaging and earn that 3 hours plus length. With a movie like Titanic or Lord of the Rings, I can sit through it with ease -- the three hours fly by. But something like Gone With the Wind is an endurance contest for me.

A three hour movie I usually don't have any problems if the movie's good, but I also don't feel any desire to rewatch them very often. When it gets to four hours it can feel kinda exhausting. The extended version of The Return of the King was a pain, especially under the last 30 minutes or so.

I love a long movie, but not a movie that feels long.

I watched Return of the King extended edition all in one sitting at AMC. They did a limited theatrical run at AMC for the Blu-ray releases.

I watched all three of the LOTR movies EE back to back to back in one sitting. They did have 30 minute intervals in between each movie, time for me to go potty and get some more coke, and time for the movie boys to change the films, but I lasted all 12 hours.

If the movie is good, I can definitely watch it all the way through. You'll see my ass planted in a theater seat when Titanic comes around again!

Long movies aren't a problem for me as long as they are entertaining. I had also a LOTR night even two times and a Pirats of the Carribean night too.

Some movies seems too short with a runtime of two hours when I got the feeling that the story isn't told completely. Kingdom of heaven for instance could have been a little longer in the theatrical version. The extended version was better imo.

I can sit through a long movie that's three hours or longer provided it has a good plot and keeps me interested.

If the movie is engaging and makes me interested in the characters, situation and so on. Then, the longer, the better.

I can watch long movies, but only on TV or in the theater, because on the computer there are too many distractions.
However me and my friends want to see the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy in just one day but, frankly, I don't know if I can stand it!

Depends on the movie:

For example I love The Godfather (I & II), Lawrence of Arabia, Gone with the Wind, Schindler's List, Lord of the Rings trilogy, Kingdom of Heaven (Director's Cut), Ben-Hur, The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, My Fair Lady, There Will Be Blood, etc.

But if it's a movie I am not engaged in? Then it can be a very dry and ponderous experience. It's the difference between say, Gladiator (flies by) and Cleopatra (4 hours that feels like 40). I'm looking at you Tree of Life, right now.

Last edited:
Yes. I can watch a long movie, as long as it holds my interest. Some movies I can find myself getting bored others where you just want more.

No problem at all unless the movie is bad. I mean, even if it's not truly great I can make my way through it, but when I saw jackson's King Kong I wanted to shoot myself during the first hour. I even tried to sleep through it because it was clear to me that it wasn't going to get any better until the gorilla appeared.

I watched the 2hr 45 minute Great Escape in one hit. Went by very quickly.

i just had this dilemina last week. Someone let me borrow two movies last week that was like 2 and a half hours apiece. I was like I cant watch this in two days. my attention span during the work week isnt gearded for that, plus it was two movies I wasnt particually interested in anyway so it took me two weeks to watch them. I prefer shorter movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheCat
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"