Candyman remake

Discussion in 'Misc. Films' started by Galactus, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Galactus Devourer of Worlds

Sony Pictures Says Candyman Five Times
    Source: ShockTillYouDrop.com August 15, 2008

ShockTillYouDrop.com has exclusively learned that Sony Pictures is eyeing a remake of Bernard Rose's Clive Barker adaptation, Candyman. Candyman was made famous by actor Tony Todd, who appeared in the first film in 1992 and the 1995 sequel Candyman: Farewell to the Flesh and the 1999 third, straight-to-video release Candyman: Day of the Dead. The original starred Virginia Madsen, Xander Berkeley and Kasi Lemmons. In the films, according to legend, anyone who looks into a mirror and chants his name five times will summon him, but at the cost of his or her own life.

2. djchristensen Robots Melt in Arizona

Candyman, Candyman, Candyman, Candyman..........Turns off light, Candyman....Guts are ripped out.

3. Poetic Chaos Hella fetch.

The first is still the scariest movie I've ever seen...I was scared of mirrors in dark rooms for years. And black people.

4. odiin Registered

According to AICN they apparently want to make the Candyman a white guy this time around. LAME if true.

5. TheComicbookKid Swing n Miss

Change the reason from interracial affair to "white guilty":woot: problem solved.

6. I SEE SPIDEY Registered

7. tzarinna Mamochka

Uh, I must find out what Clive thinks of all this. Be right back.

8. Arcturus Registered

Candyman does not need a remake. It's an amazing film, and I feel that a "new vision" simply wont work, as usual.

9. tyler-durden Registered

no white Candyman, it would be stupid considering Candyman was the son of a slave.

10. bullets bang bang

This really sucks , they should focus on making a decent Candyman sequel instead.

11. Sentinel X optical illusion

LMAO! :hehe:

...am I the only one who finds Candyman lame? :whatever:
    Hes a stupid charecter...not as bad as Jason(I wish they weren't making a remake and just let that charecter die.)

12. James.B In search of the absurd

13. Teelie Jokerface

10 years on and the remake still has gotten nowhere.

14. C. Lee Superherohype Administrator

Maybe no one in Hollywood has said his name 5 times yet.

15. So is Candyman gonna be White terrorizing Black People if Jordan Peele makes this ? & be set in a Ghetto neighborhood ? I wonder how long can Jordan's career be if all he does is movies with White People as the bad guys & Black People as the good guys. Hes gonna get called out on this eventually

#15 Dilly Dilly, Sep 10, 2018
    Last edited by moderator : Sep 10, 2018
  16. Teelie Jokerface

It was 10 years ago when that report of him being white was made and it wasn't even definite. Who knows what direction Peele will take it now.

17. Given that its Jordan Peele its probably in the contract that hes White

18. MattP Registered

Loved the first movie. Don't really think it needs a remake although I would point out that Candyman was not black in the original short story.

19. Milk Tray Guy 70s Man of Action

Candyman is one of my very favourite horror movies. I dig it out most Halloweens. Everything is just about perfect; the story, the performances, the setting, Philip Glass's haunting score, I love it all. I've really no interest in seeing it redone (hated the sequels, btw).

20. PrehistoricDog Futurism

Let the slasher resurgence begin. It's overdue at this point.

21. James.B In search of the absurd

MGM & Jordan Peele’s Monkeypaw Team For ‘Candyman’ Sequel; Nia DaCosta To Direct, Universal To Release In 2020

The new Candyman is being billed as a “spiritual sequel” to the original and returns to the neighborhood where the legend began: the now-gentrified section of Chicago where the Cabrini-Green housing projects once stood. Tony Todd originated the role of Candyman aka Daniel Robitaille, an urban legend who is summoned to kill when his name is said five times by a person facing a mirror.
    Cameras will roll this spring and Universal Pictures will release Candyman in the U.S. on June 12, 2020. MGM is producing and financing. Adam Rosenberg, MGM’s co-president of production, and Tabitha Shick, MGM’s VP Production, will oversee the project on behalf of the studio and Ian Cooper will produce for Monkeypaw.

“We cannot wait for the world to see what the mind-blowing combination of Jordan, Win and Nia bring to the legend of Candyman,” Glickman said. “They have created a story that will not only pay reverence to Clive Barker’s haunting and brilliant source material but is also thoroughly modern and will bring in a whole new generation of fans.”

Said Peele: “The original was a landmark film for black representation in the horror genre. Alongside Night of the Living Dead, Candyman was a major inspiration for me as filmmaker — and to have a bold new talent like Nia at the helm of this project is truly exciting. We are honored to bring the next chapter in the Candyman canon to life and eager to provide new audiences with an entry point to Clive Barker’s legend.”

22. scarlet-witch Stormborn

I'm here for it.

23. James.B In search of the absurd

Lakeith Stanfield Considered For The New Candyman Film

But before the "only Tony Todd can be Candyman!" crowd start storming the barricades, he's not in talks to take over the iconic horror role. Instead, the report from blog SuperBroMovies (and confirmed by the team at Collider) he'd be the movie's main character, described as an artist in Chicago who researches the legend of Candyman. And it's not long before strange deaths start to occur around him. Who could have foreseen that?

With Peele as producer, Nia DaCosta is on to direct the movie, with a script by Peele and Win Rosenfeld that is aiming to be a "spiritual sequel" to the original. It's currently taking aim at a June 2020 release date.

CaptainWagner likes this.
  24. ThePowerCosmic Hyped Up

That drives my interest up. For me, he's one of the more interesting younger actors coming up.

25. Pennywise Registered

Awesome! :mrk: