'Cash for Clunkers'

Malice

BMFH
Reaction score
LINK

The U.S. House of Representatives late Tuesday approved the "cash for clunkers" bill, a plan under which consumers would be paid up to $4,500 in vouchers for trading in their current vehicles for more fuel-efficient models. The Senate now gets the bill for approval, and if it gets through President Obama is expected to sign it.

This is awesome.
I go to a junkyard, and buy a clunker for almost nothing, take it to a dealership and sell it to get a new car...getting 4500 for it.

No I cant see loopholes in this stupid legislation.
In all seriousness, its not bad in principle. There had be limits on how many you can get, or I might start a "clunker business"

Last edited by a moderator:
LINK

The U.S. House of Representatives late Tuesday approved the "cash for clunkers" bill, a plan under which consumers would be paid up to $4,500 in vouchers for trading in their current vehicles for more fuel-efficient models. The Senate now gets the bill for approval, and if it gets through President Obama is expected to sign it.

This is awesome.
I go to a junkyard, and buy a clunker for almost nothing, take it to a dealership and sell it to get a new car...getting 4500 for it.

No I cant see loopholes in this stupid legislation.
In all seriousness, its not bad in principle. There had be limits on how many you can get, or I might start a "clunker business"

From the way I'm looking at it you'd have to get the vehicle, get it registered which also means insurance and then the money could only be used as part of a trade for another vehicle. So I'm not sure it would be that easy.

From the way I'm looking at it you'd have to get the vehicle, get it registered which also means insurance and then the money could only be used as part of a trade for another vehicle. So I'm not sure it would be that easy.

Not at all.
I could buy the junker...get "esurance" and then take it in, in a matter of minutes.

There better be some serious limits on this or its going to be bad....like fema scandles

Not at all.
I could buy the junker...get "esurance" and then take it in, in a matter of minutes.

There better be some serious limits on this or its going to be bad....like fema scandles

Ok, but you still have to get it titled, which costs money and so does that insurance plus it only works if you're getting a more efficient vehicle. They aren't just giving you 4,500 for every junker you tow to them. So for every junker you have to get a more efficient car for it to work. So who cares about the limits on them, at best all you'd be doing is getting a lot of crappy cars off the streets and buying a bunch of fuel efficient ones. Maybe you could then resell those but I don't see it as the easy scam you do.

What defines a "clunker" in this bill? I mean, my CRV does well, but not sedan or hybrid well, so I wouldn't think I could qualify.

First two paragraphs:

To get the voucher, a consumer's trade-in must average 18 miles per gallon or less on the combined city/highway cycle. Purchase of a new vehicle that averages at least 4 mpg better fuel economy is rewarded with a $3,500 voucher toward the cost. The top $4,500 voucher is given toward purchase of a new vehicle that improves on fuel economy by 10 mpg or more.

The "cash for clunkers" plan cannot be applied to prior sales, and vouchers won't be handed out for vehicles that hadn't been insured in the previous year or are more than 25 years old. The plan is intended to last for a year, assuming all available funding isn't handed out in the form of vouchers sooner.

So, again, my money has to go pay for some crappy plan that just gives money away to people that make bad decisions.

No bad decision is needed. It simply encourages people to buy cars with better milage.

So, again, my money has to go pay for some crappy plan that just gives money away to people that make bad decisions.

Think of it like all that money we gave to corporate leaders for being incompetant failures that need to be rewarded for tanking their companies only on a smaller scale which might actually do some good.

Think of it like all that money we gave to corporate leaders for being incompetant failures that need to be rewarded for tanking their companies only on a smaller scale which might actually do some good.
Yeah, that worked about REALLY well, didn't it.

Careful you're dangerously close to accusing rich people of screwing up, which will invariably bring out their defenders to explain to you how capitalism requires rewarding incompetance but only when it's initiated from the top. Which is then promptly followed by a quick word about trickle down, "I piss on you", economics which of course is followed by my head exploding.

Yeah, I'm not sure this plan is good at all, but at least it's temporary and we can gauge how effective it can be.

I frankly am tired of programs like this...but its just me

Careful you're dangerously close to accusing rich people of screwing up, which will invariably bring out their defenders to explain to you how capitalism requires rewarding incompetence but only when it's initiated from the top. Which is then promptly followed by a quick word about trickle down, "I piss on you", economics which of course is followed by my head exploding.

Yeah, I'm not sure this plan is good at all, but at least it's temporary and we can gauge how effective it can be.

:applaud

They didn't raise your taxes to pay for it so what's the problem.
We are trillions in debt and more spending is on the way. Where do you think the money will come from to pay back that debt? Our taxes will be raised very soon and it is funny that so many people thought that the top 1-2% were going to foot that bill:hehe:

We are trillions in debt and more spending is on the way. Where do you think the money will come from to pay back that debt? Our taxes will be raised very soon and it is funny that so many people thought that the top 1-2% were going to foot that bill:hehe:
"The latest data show that a big portion of the federal income tax burden is shouldered by a small group of the very richest Americans. The wealthiest 1 percent of the population earn 19 percent of the income but pay 37 percent of the income tax. The top 10 percent pay 68 percent of the tab. Meanwhile, the bottom 50 percent—those below the median income level—now earn 13 percent of the income but pay just 3 percent of the taxes."

http://www.american.com/archive/200...zine-contents/guess-who-really-pays-the-taxes

They didn't raise your taxes to pay for it so what's the problem.

epic-facepalm.jpg

Srsly

Careful you're dangerously close to accusing rich people of screwing up, which will invariably bring out their defenders to explain to you how capitalism requires rewarding incompetance but only when it's initiated from the top. Which is then promptly followed by a quick word about trickle down, "I piss on you", economics which of course is followed by my head exploding.

:cwink: :up:

Thank you, great response.

It's a legitimate point.

Why is he complaining if his taxes didn't go up?
If you have to ask that question, you don't understand economics and implications of Tax Increase on the Job Producers.

Not if the companies are based in the Islands...

If you have to ask that question, you don't understand economics and implications of Tax Increase on the Job Producers.
Once again the filthy rich hide behind small business owners.

You can always give tax credits to small business owners. I'm sure they already do though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"