Discussion: Torture

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not all the time there isn't. Sometimes the last resort has to be used.

And why does it make you inhuman to torture a scum bag who would blow himself up to kill hundreds of innocents if it meant getting information which leads to another plot being foiled?

If you think torture has never been put to good use in the entire history of man kind then you are very naive. Torture obviously DOES work, sometimes at least, otherwise it wouldn't be used. Unless of course everyone in the military is sadists or something.

There is no guarantee that the information extracted from torture is accurate, let alone stop a plot. If one chooses to be on the side of the worst of human history, then I revel in being labeled naïve by them

Sometimes honest detective work and being diplomatic don't work. All avenues should be explored to get information.

I guarantee there has been some terrorists plots stopped or foiled thanks to torture or extreme interrogation at some point in man kinds history.

I never bought that line from Bush or Cheney, so your guarantee is meaningless

Fair enough. But if you honestly believe torture has never, ever, ever been put to good use then you are extremely naive. That's all there is to it.

Sometimes honest detective work and being diplomatic don't work. All avenues should be explored to get information.

I guarantee there has been some terrorists plots stopped or foiled thanks to torture or extreme interrogation at some point in man kinds history.

I agree, doesn't mean I like it.....but I agree.

Yea I'm not saying I like it. But to say torture has never saved lives, has never led to breakthroughs in investigations whether police or military is just plain wrong.

And by torture I'm not just talking water boarding or some nasty **** out of a Saw movie, I'm talking extreme mental interrogation and things like that too.

I wonder if he approves of rape, and boiling people alive?

Didn't Cheny admit to knowing about the torture? And apporving it?

The brass balls on the people in the Bush administration is almost to be admired. Seriously.

Bush Administration accused of Experimenting on Detainees

"In their attempt to justify the war crime of torture, the CIA appears to have committed another alleged war crime -- illegal experimentation on prisoners." Not only were terrorism suspects tortured, they were also used as human guinea pigs, a new report alleges. This research, PHR alleges, violated an array of regulations and treaties, including international guidelines on human testing put in place after the Holocaust."

http://motherjones.com/politics/2010/06/bush-administration-experimented-detainees-phr-report

http://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...d-to-bin-laden/2011/05/02/AFHjfCZF_story.html

So it looks like the Osama intel thread came from torture, Cheney style. Just shortly before Obama shut it down.

Are you eating crow now?

Always backed this up?

Against it, despite all that has happened?

Against it for when it is not "my party", and for it when "my party" is using it?

I read about this earlier. Interesting stuff. The same people symbolically high-fiving Obama for Osama's death tended to harshly criticize Bush/Cheney for "enhanced interrogation techniques" and suggest that they even be brought up for war crimes over it.

Yet, Obama's "victory" is due in part to these enhanced interrogation techniques.

I suspect you won't hear much from these people about this. They'll most likely just ignore where the intel came from. Sometimes, reality bites. :woot:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"