CGI idea

Spider - Man

Sidekick
Reaction score
I think that FF2 marks the first association of Weta with a Marvel property. If they do the kind of job on SS that I think they're going to do (we should know in 2 weeks when the teaser hits) Marvel should really get them to do the CGI for the Hulk in the new movie. I don't believe that the problem with the Hulk in the first film was that the CGI COULDN'T be done properly, but that the artists (I know - ILM - hard to believe!) weren't talented enough. Look at Kong and Gollum anfd then at the Hulk and tell me where the talent is.
My vote (well, based on what the Surfer looks like) is for Weta for TIH!

To me, Kong was completely uninspiring and lackluster. How hard was it to make an ape and then make him bigger. Granted, Gollum was done well, but I think the Hulk looked the best of those 3 CGI characters.

matthooper said:
To me, Kong was completely uninspiring and lackluster. How hard was it to make an ape and then make him bigger. Granted, Gollum was done well, but I think the Hulk looked the best of those 3 CGI characters.

In some shots, he looked totally realistic, but in others he was so fake looking (like the transformation in his house) it was embarrassing. At least Gollum and Kong looked real each and every shot.

Yes, Kong the movie itself wasn't very inspiring. And I don;t know how hard it would be for you, but I know it would certainly be hard for ME to make a realistic looking ape in CG.

Spider - Man said:
I think that FF2 marks the first association of Weta with a Marvel property. If they do the kind of job on SS that I think they're going to do (we should know in 2 weeks when the teaser hits) Marvel should really get them to do the CGI for the Hulk in the new movie. I don't believe that the problem with the Hulk in the first film was that the CGI COULDN'T be done properly, but that the artists (I know - ILM - hard to believe!) weren't talented enough. Look at Kong and Gollum anfd then at the Hulk and tell me where the talent is.
My vote (well, based on what the Surfer looks like) is for Weta for TIH!

The talent lies with ILM.

Look, WETA is fantastic but I didn't see anything in Gollum or King Kong that matched the outdoor scenes (desert and city) in Hulk.

Well I thought KONG surpassed every CGI character so far with ease, i thought he looked amazing. But the CGI for Hulk still stands up today and it was amazing especially for the time.

Kong is King in CGI world but what the hell do you expect?... Kong had 200mill, Peter Jackson... Hulk had 130mill and Ang lee.

Spider - Man said:
Yes, Kong the movie itself wasn't very inspiring. And I don;t know how hard it would be for you, but I know it would certainly be hard for ME to make a realistic looking ape in CG.

I might be letting my personal feelings for Kong the movie get in the way with how I felt about Kong the CGI character. I actually fell asleep during the movie, and I have never done that....ever. I was so bored I didn't stay to see the whole movie. I suppose the CGI was well done.

When Banner first transformed into the Hulk and he met his father, he looked incredibly realistic.

Spider - Man said:
In some shots, he looked totally realistic, but in others he was so fake looking (like the transformation in his house) it was embarrassing.

I thought that metamorphosis was right out of the comics. :hulk: It doesn't have to look "real" to look cool.

Strange thing about the transformations though,

The first transformation (lab) was slow
The second transformation (bruce's house) was fast
The third transformation (army base) was fast

But when Hulk transformed back into Banner in the city it was quite slow.

With regards to the transformation:

I used to watch the tv show as a kid and all you'd get was a couple of cuts of Banners eyes changing colour, his shirt, trousers etc tearing and you'd hear Hulk roaring. Primative I know, but you got the idea. What was important was seeing the Hulk and not getting too mixed up in how he got there. Fastforward to the film some years later and some of the same cuts are employed but to a much more polished level. The second Hulk out was amazing all thanks to CG.

We are in the digital age of cinema now. The possibilities are literally limitless. CG Hulk all the way.

Well, ILM did improve their work quality with Davy Jones, so maybe they deserve another shot. Although Weta does good work too.

Hoedowned said:
Well, ILM did improve their work quality with Davy Jones, so maybe they deserve another shot. Although Weta does good work too.

Davy Jones was entirely CG?!?

Clobberin' Time said:
Davy Jones was entirely CG?!?

I just watched the bonus DVD for POTC2 and it sure seemed like all of the sea-men including Jones were completely CG. During the filming on the sets all of those characters were the actors wearing sweatsuits with markers on them so they can utilize a newly created 2D mocap tech that can actually create animation based on the film shot on the set. So obviously at the time of shooting the movie they didn't have actors costume only to replace the heads with CG. The only other thing I can think of is they did some other filming with guys in costume and comped them into the scene and then tossed on the CG heads.

Either way POTC2 shows the state of the art with computer graphics, animation and comping.

Hulk was astounding in what they pulled off, creating a human being from the ground up, Gollum was amazing, but it was way more stylized than Hulk was, so more leeway was given.

Toss in the DVD and watch some scenes in slow motion, and take a look at the muscles and how they flex and stretch and how the skin flows over those muscles, nothing with that fidelity had been seen in a motion picture before Hulk.

The biggest flaws with the Hulk in my eyes was the hair, some comping issues, and the fact that his body was hairless, which didn't help in the realism. Imagine if Hulk had hair on his arms and chest, it would have broken up the green surface that could have helped tremendously.

I sure hope they let ILM take Hulk to the next level using the same techniques.

His eyes looked dodgy at times aswell.

When Talbot is trying to get a sample of the Hulk's DNA, Hulk's eye looks really weird when it gets bigger.

The biggest HULK fan who ever lived says...

WETA all the way!

It won't be CGI, trust me.

LOL!

And if it is, it will not compare to the original.

How do you know that? LL said this movie is getting around 120 mill. The first one got around 130 mill. 10 mill is going to ruin this movie? He even said every penny he could squeeze from his budget was going to FX.

This one will net less. People got turned off by Ang's version and of course Ghost Rider will have come out so people will have a higher standard. Once they see the flaming bike, who cares about ole purple pants?

Sorry that was poking the green bear. My first comment holds true however. A lot of people I know were turned off my the most recent Hulk version. That will impact future efforts.

DACMAN said:
Don't be an @ss.

Sorry...what was that?

Penis says what???

head.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member