The Mandalorian Chapter 20 Spoiler Discussion

I thought we got quite a lot in this episode. It was short but not bad. Does it feel a little shifted away from Din. Yes. Was I upset by that not necessarily though I would like more of his growth.

Bo started the season as a broken skeptic. Then she had an experience that for someone of her culture would've been earth shattering. Only equivalent I can think of here is a real life siting of the holy grail, or an angel feather, or something like that. She's a follower of the same kind of religion and gets the concepts but dismissed some of it as a good story or mythology. Now she's riding with Din who belongs to a devote sect akin to a hasidic or orthodox group.

Din has his beliefs and understands them. He's trying to pass them on to Grogu. This episode shows her seeking answers about what it is to be Mandalorian. Is it more about the old ways, is there room for a more liberal interpretation. If she cannot win the dark saber what will make her worthy? She did rescue a foundling, which was of the highest callings. She's going from wanting to fight these people to wanting to understand their beliefs and hers so they can heal. Is the symbol of that healing and re-occupation of Mandalore the Mythosaur?

Honestly looking forward to more though I do want more development for Din, Grogu, and the Armorer too.

I mean, I'm sure the show will deliver some big stuff in the last 2 or 3 episodes. I fully expect at least one or two characters from the cartoons to show up, and I will probably get hyped about that. But the episodes leading up to those don't need to feel like such a waste, either.

They are too short. The longest episode of the season so far was mainly built around a totally separate subplot.

Supporting sci-fi and superhero related stuff, doesn't mean you need to support it blindly. Those of us not high on this season really didn't start reacting until this week, and it's because it's been a sustained issue over a half a season. This episode was a kind of blah and overall stupid, that I'm now frustrated with the wasted potential of the episodes, characters, and season so far. Considering the early ratings so far, I don't think this is limited to just us.

As for "negativity". There is plenty of positive talk on the Hype. John Wick 4 and D&D are two relevant flicks at the moment, and there is nothing but positivity in those threads. Also while Bad Batch s2 hasn't gone over as well as s1, still pretty positive talk in general.

I saw plenty of negativity about episode 1 of this season, some people seemed determined to hate on it from the outset. I get it, Boba Fett kinda primed people to be on the hate train, and then they didn't really resolve it within the first episode

And I know there's exceptions to every rule
But I'm feeling a serious trend toward negativity here on the Hype
It's getting to the point I'm not sure how much longer I can deal with it

I saw plenty of negativity about episode 1 of this season, some people seemed determined to hate on it from the outset. I get it, Boba Fett kinda primed people to be on the hate train, and then they didn't really resolve it within the first episode

I love the show, but it's not beyond criticism. Maybe by the end it will look better as a whole.

I also liked Book of Boba Fett and I think the show gets unfairly hated on. However, the fact that they undermined it by making the second half about Mandalorian and Din Djarin hurt the series.

Don't know how the kid survives so long, especially in the dragon's mouth. You would think these Mando's would move after so much kills them in this spot. Grogu being in the show is just a hindrance now. He shouldn't have joined the Mando's. Jon said before he has no ending planned for this and it really shows.

Just remember that Grogu when he trains now is only remembering things he has already learned as a padawan. He was taught some things at the temple before order 66. So when we see him in the flashback he shouldn't still be a helpless baby. He should have some force acuity.

With all these complaints about CGI, you'd think someone like Adam Hlavac from Heroes Reforged channel would bring it up in their reactions to episodes but nothing. Zip. Nada. Which makes me question onwhat kind of devices and resolutions people are watching the show?

Has the CG been that bad? I think it's looked pretty good so far for a streaming TV series.

You want bad CG for a streaming TV show, watch Halo.

Has the CG been that bad? I think it's looked pretty good so far for a streaming TV series.

You want bad CG for a streaming TV show, watch Halo.

According to some people here it has. I haven't noticed anything on my 49" 4K HDR tv.

With all these complaints about CGI, you'd think someone like Adam Hlavac from Heroes Reforged channel would bring it up in their reactions to episodes but nothing. Zip. Nada. Which makes me question onwhat kind of devices and resolutions people are watching the show?
CG complaints about this show? I know there have been about the MCU but didn’t think it was bad at all here. I’ve loved the ship battles at the beginning of the last 2 episodes, and the creatures in the show have been done well too.

The complaints are largely regarding the intergration of environments with actors and the Volume specifically. The stuff that is seemingly all CGI seems to generally work out pretty well. The Volume, however, makes a lot of the show feel small and fake, with the handling of Coruscant the worst offender. And the only source I need for that is to watch the show.

Last edited:

What rule? Your issue is that people are expressing their opinion on material, that isn't exactly going over well in general. Have you considered that the issue is the material itself, and not people's reaction to it? Marvel movies are reviewing worse, the DCEU has crumbled and is going out on a whimper, and the Mando show is weak sauce. If that is where you hang, that is where you hang. But the idea that it's overly negative because people want to be overly negative is ignoring the material's place in all this. Go to the Maverick thread, Everywhere All at Once, the TV show club, etc. Plenty of places full of love and admiration for film and television. But it's where more people consider the material good. I doubt you'll see a lot of negativity in the M:I thread, outside of Cruise being a cult leader.

I get it can be frustrating to see others dislike what you enjoy, but on a board built to express one's opinion on movies, shows, video games, etc. people will have different opinions, because that's how things have always been. I also would point out that "negativity" gets a larger spotlight when others complain about "negativity", basically asking others to defend their position on it. In the first episode thread, there was a lot of, "it was fine", and then someone jumped on criticism, and yes, people argued their side.

Look, I greatly enjoy the majority of the Fox X-men movies. You want an experience in dealing with negativity, I've been there for a while.

It doesn't help that it is far easier to write, and write a whole lot more, about something you didn't like than it is to write about something that liked. The urge to go on loving rants is rare.

I overall enjoyed the episode, but there was a bit that annoyed me as a fan of a character.

Also, an important reference to this episode I haven't seen yet. This is not Best's first time as a Jedi.

I think this goes to just how much Filoni knows and loves this franchise. Even the stuff a lot of people do not. I may not always like what he does, but you cannot say he does not love Star Wars, probably more of Star Wars than any of us here.

Also, an important reference to this episode I haven't seen yet. This is not Best's first time as a Jedi.

I think this goes to just how much Filoni knows and loves this franchise. Even the stuff a lot of people do not. I may not always like what he does, but you cannot say he does not love Star Wars, probably more of Star Wars than any of us here.

I think he loves the prequels more than any of us here, yes. I would agree with that.

What rule? Your issue is that people are expressing their opinion on material, that isn't exactly going over well in general. Have you considered that the issue is the material itself, and not people's reaction to it? Marvel movies are reviewing worse, the DCEU has crumbled and is going out on a whimper, and the Mando show is weak sauce. If that is where you hang, that is where you hang. But the idea that it's overly negative because people want to be overly negative is ignoring the material's place in all this. Go to the Maverick thread, Everywhere All at Once, the TV show club, etc. Plenty of places full of love and admiration for film and television. But it's where more people consider the material good. I doubt you'll see a lot of negativity in the M:I thread, outside of Cruise being a cult leader.

I get it can be frustrating to see others dislike what you enjoy, but on a board built to express one's opinion on movies, shows, video games, etc. people will have different opinions, because that's how things have always been. I also would point out that "negativity" gets a larger spotlight when others complain about "negativity", basically asking others to defend their position on it. In the first episode thread, there was a lot of, "it was fine", and then someone jumped on criticism, and yes, people argued their side.

Whatever, it's what I've been feeling here, disagree if you want
and its not just the Marvel and Mando boards it feels a bit more pervasive
(By "rule" I mean, if my assertion is the new rule of Hype is negativity, there are still "exceptions" of positivity. It's an old saying)

But hey, as one of our resident Sith Lords, this plays precisely into your plans for the galaxy right? lol
let-the-hate-flow-through-you-your-hate-has-made-you-powerful.gif

I think what will make or break the story this season is the true intentions of Bo-Katan and the Armorer. I've seen a lot of different and conflicting reads on these characters. Definite cult leader with shady secrets or does the Armorer genuinely not know the legends are true? Is Bo trying to blend in or take over? Depending on which route the show takes, the back half of the season will change a lot. I know I've got a preference between the two. :D

Last edited:
I think what will make or break the story this season is the true intentions of Bo-Katan and the Armorer. I've seen a lot of different and conflicting reads on these characters. Definite cult or does the Armorer genuinely not know the legends are true. Is Bo trying to blend in or take over. Depending on which route the show actually goes, the back half of the season will change a lot.
Agreed, and they need to develop this from next episode now we’re a good way into the season. Plenty of drama to be had there. Is 8 episodes total confirmed now?

Agreed, and they need to develop this from next episode now we’re a good way into the season. Plenty of drama to be had there. Is 8 episodes total confirmed now?
Yeah, looking forward to it tbh. Lots of potential drama. 8 episodes, plus writers and directors were confirmed before the start of the season, I believe.

this season has given me Croc-Turtles, Mythosaurs and PterraDragons

KEEP ON ROLLIN OUT THE MEGAFAUNA! GET BOBA AND HIS RANCOR HERE STAT!

MANDOS NEED MOUNTS

With so many sets of armor on the show now, narrativium demands that at least one of them conceals a plot twist such as blue skin and red eyes.

Disagree a bit there. Star Wars, especially the OT, always had rather good dialogue. Sure you had the sci-fi nonsense, and yeah it's very genre, but the teachings of Yoda, the badassness of Vader, and Han's quipping is all well known and beloved because of it's quality.

"I find your lack of faith disturbing."

"Who is more foolish? The fool, or the fool who follows him?"

"I know."

"An elegant weapon for a more civilized age."

There are a ton of great lines, but more importantly, it's all written to inform us about the characters, their personalities, and their philosophies. This show has demystified their own main group through throwaway NPC dialogue. Look at the Mando group in season 1 and on Boba, and compare them to what we have here. Night and day.

This was the same problem with Boba on his own show. As opposed to his deliberate dialogue in s2 of the Mando, a lot of his modern stuff felt like it could have been said by anyone on the show, and it wouldn't matter.
Good talk.

I’ve always loved that line "an elegant weapon for a more civilized age."

this season has given me Croc-Turtles, Mythosaurs and PterraDragons

KEEP ON ROLLIN OUT THE MEGAFAUNA! GET BOBA AND HIS RANCOR HERE STAT!

MANDOS NEED MOUNTS
Honestly, I have a thing for this stuff. When they are well realised like this, it’s a good safety net as I’ll be able to enjoy the show as a tech demo/nature documentary even if nothing happens. :O

That scene in the credits, from the perspective of the crabs running from kaiju-sized Grogu, is hilarious.
Oh there’s a credit scene in this episode? Will have to check. Did any other episodes have credit scenes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otewe2001
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"