Guardians of the Galaxy Character Dynamics in Guardians of the Galaxy

KangConquers

Purple Kang, Purple Kang
Reaction score
One thing that made Avengers stand out for me among past Superhero films, is the way that most of the team seemed to share some sort of moment with every other member of the team, and each had a dynamic. There was never the feeling of one or two characters with a bunch of warm bodies (see the X-series.)

So what character dynamics would you want to see in GoTG? This is my list:

Starlord and Gamora:

There should be flirtatious overtones, but it should never evolve into true love. They can even knock boots, but Gamora is just not relationship material. They should share a lot of banter, given both characters are traditionally banter heavy and witty.

If Gamora comes under any scrutiny due to her relationship with Thanos, Starlord should be the one that goes up to bat for her, with Drax being the one who objects to her presence, given his history with Thanos.

Starlord and Drax:

Depending on how center Starlord's original Marvel Premiere origin is to the film (his mother getting killed by aliens being his motivation to explore other worlds), Drax and Starlord should bond over their quest for vengeance, with Drax taking a mentoring role similar to the one he took with Nova in Annihilation.

If Quill's quest for vengeance is not center to the film, the two characters should clash at first. Quill taking on a role similar to Stark in the Avengers, or Kirk in the Star Trek reboot, with Drax filling the role of the much more serious character.

Drax and Gamora

They should be sort of different sides of the same coin. Both are warriors, both have had the course of their lives dictated by the actions of Thanos. I'd like to see the quipy Gamora and the sullen Drax as unlikely close comrades, a platonic odd couple of sorts, with Drax looking at Gamora as a bit of a daughter figure (adapting his relationship with Phyla from the comics a bit.)

I would prefer to see Gamora's relationship with Thanos as a mid-movie reveal, rather than something Drax know ahead of time. This would cause him to doubt her, and cause a split in their friendship. Eventually Gamora would prove herself to Drax, and win his trust back, for good.

Starlord and Rocket Raccoon

As more of a mascot character, I don't see Rocket having incredibly complex relationships with any of the other characters, but he and Peter Quill should hit it off instantly. They should have tons of quips, and Rocket should serve as Quill's drinking buddy. Basically, I'd want the relationship lifted right from the comics.

Rocket Raccoon and Groot

Lift the relationship straight from the comics. Inseparable allies. Rocket of course, is the only one who understands anything Groot says, and translates "I Am Groot" to the rest of the team.

I loved how Drax begrudgingly gained a respect for Rocket as the DnA book progressed. Hope they keep that dynamic.

I loved how Drax begrudgingly gained a respect for Rocket as the DnA book progressed. Hope they keep that dynamic.

I was going to post Drax and Gamora/ Rocket relationships, but found myself reaching back through the book for inspiration.

What do you think of the rest?

Something that Bendis was talking about in one of his interviews made a lot of sense, which leads me to think that it came from someone else. The idea that Star-Lord, with his *****ebag alien dad, sees a lot of himself in Gamora, and her attempt to rehabilitate herself. I don't know that there's a romantic relationship there, but definitely a kindred spirits kind of closeness.

I think you're spot on about the Rocket/Quill and Rocket/Groot dynamics. Drax/Gamora will depend entirely on how close Gamora is to Thanos at the film's start, imo.

Something that Bendis was talking about in one of his interviews made a lot of sense, which leads me to think that it came from someone else. The idea that Star-Lord, with his *****ebag alien dad, sees a lot of himself in Gamora, and her attempt to rehabilitate herself. I don't know that there's a romantic relationship there, but definitely a kindred spirits kind of closeness.

I think you're spot on about the Rocket/Quill and Rocket/Groot dynamics. Drax/Gamora will depend entirely on how close Gamora is to Thanos at the film's start, imo.

So much of this will depend on where the Guardians are with each other at the start of the movie. If they go the X-1 route where the whole team is formed except for Starlord, then many of the character relationships will be set and static.

It will also depend how much of an ensemble movie this is vs. a Peter Quill and pals film. If they go the X-1 route, with Peter Quill as the focal point, we'll see a lot more of Peter's father and origin, and that will play into his relationship with Gamora.

One thing I really don't want is Gamora to be written as serious, sullen, or self-pitying. Ever since being resurrected in the 1980s, she's definitely had a sardonic personality that Bendis's Avengers Assemble take on her completely throws out the window.

I think Drax has the sullen thing covered, don't see any reason for them to make them both sullen. That's just Bends' inability to properly characterize.

I think Drax has the sullen thing covered, don't see any reason for them to make them both sullen. That's just Bends' inability to properly characterize.

Yeah, but he's pretty influential.

Yeah but this time it just sort of feels like he's doing his best to feed off what Marvel Studios is planning, instead of vice versa.

On another note, I think Phyla's personality played really well within the group. Obviously as Mar-Vell's "daughter", and with Moondragon as Drax's "daughter", neither was gonna be in this first flick. But I wouldn't be surprised if they moved some of that youthful energy to Gamora.

Bendis talking and making sense. Of course it would have to be from someone else haha. That man destroys everything he touches.

Yeah but this time it just sort of feels like he's doing his best to feed off what Marvel Studios is planning, instead of vice versa.

On another note, I think Phyla's personality played really well within the group. Obviously as Mar-Vell's "daughter", and with Moondragon as Drax's "daughter", neither was gonna be in this first flick. But I wouldn't be surprised if they moved some of that youthful energy to Gamora.

I've been thinking the same thing for awhile and as long as she isn't written too youthful it could turn out pretty great. Someone said Drax could look at her as somewhat of a daughter figure which would make for some great character interaction.

So much of this will depend on where the Guardians are with each other at the start of the movie. If they go the X-1 route where the whole team is formed except for Starlord, then many of the character relationships will be set and static.

It will also depend how much of an ensemble movie this is vs. a Peter Quill and pals film. If they go the X-1 route, with Peter Quill as the focal point, we'll see a lot more of Peter's father and origin, and that will play into his relationship with Gamora.

I'd really hope Marvel chooses more of an Avengers style over the "this guy is the only one that matters" route used in X1.

Last edited:

I mentioned that in my write up. Drax is a father without a daughter, and Gamora is a daughter without a father. Drax took to Cammy and Phyla as daughter figures. If they can do that without losing some of that "old soul" sarcasm (she was raised by a nihilist after all) ,I'd be very pleased.

I've been thinking the same thing for awhile and as long as she isn't written too youthful it could turn out pretty great. Someone said Drax could look at her as somewhat of a daughter figure which would make for some great character interaction.

I'd really hope Marvel chooses more of an Avengers style over the "this guy is the only one that matters" route used in X1.

The thing is the Avenger style worked because we had been introduced to 5 of our six avengers in previous films. They can do it somewhat Avengers style, but I imagine we're only going to get a complete origin for Quill, with elements of Gamora and Drax's origins.

I think Star-Lord will be the clear lead ala Wolvy, but Gamora and Drax will be given more to do than Storm and Cyclops were. Rocket and Groot will probably be more straight-forward without any of their wacky origin stuff this go-round.

I think Star-Lord will be the clear lead ala Wolvy, but Gamora and Drax will be given more to do than Storm and Cyclops were. Rocket and Groot will probably be more straight-forward without any of their wacky origin stuff this go-round.

I think GoTG 2 would be a great time to flesh out Drax, by introducing Moon Dragon. Gamora could be fleshed out fairly easily as her back story involves the (presumed) antagonist of the film.

I imagine Drax's backstory will involve Thanos too, just... not the backstory from the comics :hehe:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"