Guardians of the Galaxy Casting Thread

KangConquers

Purple Kang, Purple Kang
Reaction score
I suppose the Moderators can move this to the Guardians of the Galaxy forum once it's up and running. :woot:

Cast:

Star-Lord
Gamora
Drax The Destroyer
Rocket Raccoon
Groot

"does it matter"? That is, with all of the makeup, elaborate costuming and/or CGI that would be involved in order to visually interpret the characters in their "traditional" look, would it be even necessary to try and get "a-list" actors to play those roles? I don't know.. this current Star Lord has a full body outfit and full mask/helmet combo. Drax has an athletic body, green skin, bald head and tattoos. Gamora in her "traditional" outfit is a sexy athletic woman with green skin wearing a "bikini".. Groot-- well, I guess they could get the guy who played Gollum or Abe Sapien.. Rocket Raccoon-- well, obviously, this is an anthropomorphic raccoon-- I don't think he's even supposed to be dwarf-human size/shape, might as well do it as CGI. Maybe if they get Rick Baker involved with costuming it could build anticipation..

I posted this in the big thread earlier

Star-Lord: Aaron Eckhart
HbGlZ.jpg

Drax: Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson
6fxTp.jpg

Gamora: Lynn Collins
aYybr.jpg

Rocket Raccoon: Ian McShane
veHfF.jpg

I'm not sure if they need an actor for Groot or even his voice, they might just be able to get it done without and just use stunt/tech people. He only has the one line :awesome:

There are other actors I like for each role, too, except maybe Drax...

The can't stand the Rock in anything.

I pray he never steps foot on the set of an MCU movie.

Lynn Collins would be awesome, though.

I will never get why some people hate The Rock. Dude's the man.

But to each their own :jedi

Ryan Kwanten- Star Lord

Ryan-Kwanten-Gap-Ads-Cristiano-Ronaldo-Irina-Shayk.jpg

I like the Ian McShane as Rocket Raccoon thing too!

I just don't think he's a very good actor.

Actually, I think he's atrocious...

I think a lot of you are focusing on appearances. The important thing is to get the most talented people available. Choosing someone like The Rock (who has actually been okay in a couple things) because hes built like a comic book character is foolish. Better to pick young talented actors who have been impressive in non-action dramatic character pieces. Trainers and gym memberships and steroids will do the rest if necessary.

When you have a cgi heavy project like this, its imperative that you have great actors who can emote under such conditions. Muscles and pretty faces are far less important.

I do like the McShane idea. Hells yeah. But theres no way anyone from the JC debacle will be in this movie. Lol why would they jinx it before it even goes into production? Yeesh.

Chris Pine could work as Star Lord. But he may want to stay away from the space related rolls for obvious reasons. If you want to go a bit older, Tim "crazy eyes" Olyphaunt could work as Drax. Hes got that pissed off "im gonna kill some mother ****ers" look down pat. Hell have to bulk up tho.

Gosling could also work for SL as well as John Hamm.

Last edited:
Drax, Groot, and Rocket Raccoon should all be done CGI. All you need to find are the perfect voices and attitudes.. For Star-Lord they need a decent looking, but rough looking star. Someone that you would believe has gone thru some major battles. I think Aaron Eckhart wouldnt be a bad choice.. And Gamora above all else needs to be a BAD-ASS.

Not choosing the Rock because he's built like the comic book character. There are dozens of other similarly built actors who could be chosen based on said criteria. Choosing the Rock because he's hugely charismatic and is great when the script allows him to be. Also it doesn't hurt that he's built like a tank.
But theres no way anyone from the JC debacle will be in this movie. Lol why would they jinx it before it even goes into production? Yeesh.
So none of the actors from John Carter will ever work again?

If you actually watched it Collins was terrific. Even the critics who (deservedly) tore the movie to pieces acknowledged that.

I actually liked John Carter and thought everyone did a great job; Kitsch included.

Collins was probably the best part of it, though.

Come on Hype! This has a release date, this needs to have it's own forum section.

Move over Sam Jackson! Rocket Raccoon is not the M***** F**** BAD A** of the Marvel Cinematic Universe!

I hope RR says a curse word in every sentence. Or at least 10 times total in the movie.

Although Rocket Raccoon will probably be CGI, I'd like them to cast a real raccoon for some scenes, just as i'd like to see a real tree for Groot.

Lynn Collins needs to be in a comic movie.

I've admittedly always sucked at casting, but right now I like Gemma Arterton (Quantum of Solace, Prince of Persia) as Gamora.

135951-34475-gamora_large.jpg

Gemma+Arterton+GQ+Men+Year+Awards+2010+Outside+5BNad64CVGkl.jpg

I'm too lazy to post pics for everyone, and for the most part given masks, cgi etc...the pics don't matter as much. Just had to get the attractive female role out of the way...

For Star-Lord, I like Timothy Olyphant (Justified, Hitman.) He has a great deadpan sense of humor and comedic timing that works for the character, while being able to play a legit bad ass.

Rocket Raccoon is tough. For a full performance, I'd say Peter Dinklage (Game of Thrones) pulling mocap duty and voicing the character. But in terms of just voicing? John Kassir, most famous for voicing the Crypt Keeper in Tales of the Crypt, but also Rocket's own voice in Marvel vs. Capcom 3, works just fine.

Drax falls into that body builder/ big guy pit fall that Thor, He-Man, Superman, and so many comic book characters do. In addition to needing to be incredibly muscular, he should be a little older, given that he has an adult daughter (Moondragon) who may show up in future sequels. I'm still working on him...

Groot...is Groot. Doug Jones maybe. or Andy Serkis. More about Mocap than anything.

Last edited:
Seriously what more needs to be done to have a dedicated forum for GOTG? This thing is way further along than Justice League, and they got one just because they hired someone to start writing a script. No release date, no promo art, etc.

Seriously what more needs to be done to have a dedicated forum for GOTG? This thing is way further along than Justice League, and they got one just because they hired someone to start writing a script. No release date, no promo art, etc.

This.

I hope Gamora is featured in that sexy costume above (reposted here):

135951-34475-gamora_large.jpg

Since she is an alien, she doesn't need to care about dressing to cover up. Hopefully she can look like an Orion Slave Girl.

Ray Winstone for Rocket Raccoon.

Andy Serkis for Rocket racoon. Easy casting. King of motion capture.

Here's a little cast list I put together:
2dkyecm.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back