The Dark Knight Rises Characters that may have comic counterparts

TheRegSays

Civilian
Reaction score
With all the bruhaha that John Blake may be Dick Grayson/Robin/Nightwing, it got me to thinking that Chris Nolan does like to take liberties when it comes to his characters. Meaning, he likes to create characters that do not exist in the comics. I thought to myself if it would be more meaningful to us comic fans if he used more comic characters, even if they had minor roles? Like Zsaz. I was very happy that he was included even for such a small role.

For example, the cop that was guarding Joker in the interrogation room. I've heard people say he would make a good Sgt. Bullock (I'm not sure if he had a name in the movie). I also remember thinking why Ramirez isn't Montoya (but I understood in the end why).

Rachel Dawes. I think I could have cared more too if it was an existing character. Could they have named her Silver St. Cloud? Maybe the name was too ridiculous for a movie. First love Julie Madison? I would've even appreciated a Gilda... anticipating her ending up with Harvey. Any other suggestions?

Others that come to mind:

The prisoner in the boat who threw out the detonator = I would have loved a "W. Jones" on his chest.

Earle? Rupert Thorne.

Things like that. Little easter eggs for fanboys that really wouldn't matter to the casual fan. What do you guys think?

With all the bruhaha that John Blake may be Dick Grayson/Robin/Nightwing, it got me to thinking that Chris Nolan does like to take liberties when it comes to his characters. Meaning, he likes to create characters that do not exist in the comics. I thought to myself if it would be more meaningful to us comic fans if he used more comic characters, even if they had minor roles? Like Zsaz. I was very happy that he was included even for such a small role.

For example, the cop that was guarding Joker in the interrogation room. I've heard people say he would make a good Sgt. Bullock (I'm not sure if he had a name in the movie). I also remember thinking why Ramirez isn't Montoya (but I understood in the end why).

Rachel Dawes. I think I could have cared more too if it was an existing character. Could they have named her Silver St. Cloud? Maybe the name was too ridiculous for a movie. First love Julie Madison? I would've even appreciated a Gilda... anticipating her ending up with Harvey. Any other suggestions?

Others that come to mind:

The prisoner in the boat who threw out the detonator = I would have loved a "W. Jones" on his chest.

Earle? Rupert Thorne.

Things like that. Little easter eggs for fanboys that really wouldn't matter to the casual fan. What do you guys think?

I like what your saying. Some little thing like that would have been good.

Detective Flass - the bad side of Detective Bullock

Detective Stephens - more of a build of the comics' version of Flass, but also the good side of Detective Bullock

Detective Ramirez - Renee Montoya in many aspects

Coleman Reese - HAS to be a nod to Riddler in some way

Barsad - a nod to Deadshot

Rachel Dawes - reminded me of a Gilda Dent in The Dark Knight, could've had inspirations of one of Bruce Wayne's love interests in the comics as well

Not really a nod but Alfred J. Pennyworth...the middle initial said at the end of TDKR could be a nod to Alfred's father, Jarvis

Most of these are a bit of a stretch, but it is possible they were inspired by several characters. I'm fine with movies making new characters though.

I think a few more nods would have been fine, so long as they were written with a fair amount of subtlety. The 'Robin' John Blake wasn't, it was so jarring.

I'd say Earle is a little closer to Lew Moxon than Rupert Thorne.

Daggett was already a nod to the animated series. 'Jen' was clearly Holly.

Then you would see people complaining ad nauseam that they weren't completely true to the characters. :funny:

Daggett was already a nod to the animated series. 'Jen' was clearly Holly.

Right up until the film was released I was under the impression that Juno Temple was playing Holly. I wonder why the name change

Guys. Dig around Chris's Batman site. An older plot summary for TDKR--supposedly one of the many fakes that was put out--involves Sionis and Talia. The Bat is also mentioned. I submit that Dagget was meant to be a reference to Black Mask and his BTAS counterpart.

Every time I watch the film I think of the Barsad as TDKR's version of Bird, 'the child's protector' as Trogg and the prison doctor as Zombie.

Last edited:
Right up until the film was released I was under the impression that Juno Temple was playing Holly. I wonder why the name change

Much as how Rachel Dawes was used and not Harvey Dent in Batman Begins, Holly wouldn't have been represented correctly with the way the character was used in TDKR, so giving her a different identity of Jen is the best way to go.

If they wanted to go for Holly Robinson, one would expect her to have a worthwhile storyline in which 'Jen' did not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"