Ronin
Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.comingsoon.net/films.php?id=14997
Release Date: February 22, 2008
Studio: MGM
Director: Jon Poll
Screenwriter: Gustin Nash
Starring: Anton Yelchin, Robert Downey Jr., Hope Davis, Tyler Hilton, Jake Epstein, Lauren Collins, Dylan Taylor, Mark Rendall, Kat Dennings, Derek McGrath
Genre: Comedy
MPAA Rating: R (for language, drug content and brief nudity)

Plot Summary: Among the classic high-school rebels of American movies, there have been truants, delinquents, pranksters and con artists – but there has never been anyone quite like Charlie Bartlett. An optimist, a truth-teller and a fearless schemer, when Charlie slyly positions himself as his new school's resident "psychiatrist," dishing out both honest advice and powerful prescriptions, he has no idea the ways in which he will transform his classmates, the school principal and the potential of his own life.

This is the premise of the provocative, Prozac-era comedy, "Charlie Bartlett," in which a wealthy teenager's foray into bathroom-stall psychiatry becomes a smart, funny and touching one-man battle against the loneliness, angst and hypocrisy of the modern world.

Anton Yelchin ("Alpha Dog") stars as Charlie Bartlett, who has been kicked out of every private school he ever attended. And now that he's moved on to public school, he's simply getting pummeled. But when Charlie discovers that the kids who surround him – the outcast and the popular alike – are secretly in desperate need, his entrepreneurial spirit takes over. Hanging up his shingle in the Boys' restroom, Charlie becomes an underground, not to mention under-aged, shrink who listens to the private confessions of his schoolmates, and makes the imprudent decision to hand out the pills he's proffered from his own psychiatric sessions. Meanwhile, at home, Charlie keeps charming his way out of an inevitable confrontation with his adoring but utterly overwhelmed mother Marilyn (Hope Davis.)

Then, Charlie Bartlett makes his big mistake: falling in love with the beautiful and bold daughter (Kat Dennings) of the school's increasingly disenchanted Principal (Robert Downey, Jr.), who is hot on his trail. As Charlie Bartlett's world and fledgling psychiatric practice unravel, he begins to discover there's a whole lot more to making a difference than handing out pills.

8wjjbk.jpg

Revised Trailer Hi-Res
qtlogo.jpg
(21.8Mb)

I swear this movie already came out last summer. :huh:

^ what he said. i coulda sworn this came out already. :huh:

This looks cute. And it was filmed in my 'hood. Natch.

Holy crap, Kat Dennings has become super hot! She almost has an Eva Green quality to her.

Been anticipating this film for a while. Good to hear that it's apparently still rated R. In my belief, if you want to make a film about high school right- it needs to be R. High School was R. Hollywood Reporter also had a review on line that I read that was very positive. Can't wait. :up:

Weird... yeah, I remember hearing radio spots for this film like crazy last year and then it never came out. Weird that they'd bump a movie after they already started marketing it to that extent.

This reminds me of that Christian Slater movie Pump Up the Volume.

Trailer looks good but the whole year late thing is a bad sign.

This movie was GREAT!!!!

Related to Kip the most.

If I had to state a movie it was similar to it would be 'Pump up the volume'

And it was the first truthful high school/adolescent film in years. :up:

Seeing it again later this week. Favorite movie of the year so far.

10/10

This movie was GREAT!!!!

Related to Kip the most.

If I had to state a movie it was similar to it would be 'Pump up the volume'

And it was the first truthful high school/adolescent film in years
. :up:

Seeing it again later this week. Favorite movie of the year so far.

10/10

yeah, if you want to become popular ......sell drugs. :csad:

The movie is more than drugs, a lot more. They dealt with kids, ALL kids having problems and adults being blind to the world around them and how much easier it is for teens to talk to another teenager about their problems than to their own parents. This explored problems of many characters and many students each with their own unique stories to tell. It's not a drug movie- but the drug element does come into play and so does the adult drug element (alcohol); portrayed brilliantly by Robert Downey Jr.- perhaps using his own past as inspiration for the role. The key is- they all want to escape, for things to get better so they turn to PRESCRIPTION drugs to try to ease their pain.

Mean Girls doesn't come off as truthful, but more of a American Pie for teenage girls. But, hey- don't know anything about their world so can't say.

Superbad was good, but it was more of a realistic American Pie and didn't deal with many teenagers. Dealt with a couple of teenagers going out to try to score alcohol for a party where they are hoping to get laid for the first time.

Charlie Bartlett is a film that examines multiple high school students and the pains of going through the teenage wasteland. From being a depressed loner afraid to tell his parents, Kip, the character I related to most. To the depth of discovering what made and makes the school bully tick. Even the high school quarterback and school **** has problems. This deals with numerous students and fully explores the teenage wasteland no bars held; according to the director it was a "dangerous" film to make and rated R because it speaks about how it is.

It's not a film about dating, it's not a film about losing virginity. It's a film about students for students navigating through the teenage wasteland.

Hope all of the above makes sense. Anyways, gotta sign off- got work to attend to.

Mean Girls doesn't come off as truthful, but more of a American Pie for teenage girls. But, hey- don't know anything about their world so can't say.

Mean Girls was spot on when it came to HS cliques.

Superbad was good, but it was more of a realistic American Pie and didn't deal with many teenagers. Dealt with a couple of teenagers going out to try to score alcohol for a party where they are hoping to get laid for the first time.

Isn't that what most of your Friday and Saturday nights revolved around during HS?

“...And these children that you spit on as they try to change their worlds, they are immune to your consultations, they're quite aware of what they're going through...”

I watched this movie online perfect dvd quality like a month ago. I was having major Deja Vu when I saw it online, because I thought it already came out on dvd. LOL.
Good movie, loved it.

Isn't that what most of your Friday and Saturday nights revolved around during HS?

Some people, but definitely not me dude. I was like Kip in this film as described previously- the depressed LONER. That means eat alone, do things alone and very little to no friends and no party life at all. So, no the film (Super Bad) left out kids like me. But, know that film to be accurate because one of the friends I did have was invited to parties. I was the outcast. Kinda a Peter Parker and Harry Osborn thing.

This movie features MANY different types of teenagers which is the aspect that I liked a lot and distinguishes it from the rest.

The movie is more than drugs, a lot more. They dealt with kids, ALL kids having problems and adults being blind to the world around them and how much easier it is for teens to talk to another teenager about their problems than to their own parents. This explored problems of many characters and many students each with their own unique stories to tell. It's not a drug movie- but the drug element does come into play and so does the adult drug element (alcohol); portrayed brilliantly by Robert Downey Jr.- perhaps using his own past as inspiration for the role. The key is- they all want to escape, for things to get better so they turn to PRESCRIPTION drugs to try to ease their pain.

well true in that every teenager has their problems. it isn't realistic that the whole high school class talk to one particular teenager in the bathroom stall to discuss about their problems. usually they'll talk to their closest friends, not just the person who can get them drugs. :whatever:

That part is unrealistic, but the rest is accurate in the way it presents the students themselves. Let's put it this way, most realistic high school movie ever. If it was completely realistic it would be a documentary and not a film.

Is this a limited release?
I haven't seen any TV spots.

I don't think it's limited, check Fandango. It is independent, but think it's a wide independent though so it might be up. Just check fandango- that's ur best bet. :up:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"