Paul Thomas Anderson's Inherent Vice

I wanted to like this movie.

I suspect it was interesting somehow, but i had a very hard time following. A lot of the actors either whispered or mumbled their dialogue or spoke with a thick accent, and sometimes the (annoying) music was louder than the dialogue. I got a few of the jokes and some summary of the plot that would fail a second grade book review homework assignments, not much else.

Jena Malone showed up which is nice.

A whole lot of people walked out of the movie theatre, and i heard complaints from the remaining people at the end.

I may try it again later ... But from the comfort of home, where i can turn on the subtitles.

ETA: If there had been this much male gaze in a michael bay the self-righteous taliban on this forum and elsewhere would never stop letting us know about it.

Toward the end of the movie, Shasta is walking around naked and Doc lets out two puffs of smoke. The first smoke cloud highlites her ass, the second highlites her breasts, lol.

ETA #2: The nose picking joke, what was funny about it?

This. First viewing I did in theaters the movie was too incoherent for me. I'll give it a second viewing at home to see if it opens up more for me.

This was pretty meandering... the cinematography, acting, and setting were all great but nothing intrigued me. I love Pynchon (Gravity's Rainbow being a top 20 for me) but haven't read this one. I don't know, it just didn't make me care about a solution or the journey.

I will say Bigfoot was the standout, Brolin brought it hard. I also really enjoyed a very realistic and lived-in 60's world, when most films usually over do-it in that department; especially for the 60's.

Lots of interesting characters but in the end I didn't see why anyone them did anything... The Master didn't have any of the above and was super meandering and boring. At least PTA got back to some style in this one.

There Will Be Blood and Magnolia still reign at the top for me.

I loved the movie, if you were looking for some big deep mystery you were missing the point. It was atmospheric, beautiful, well acted, intriguing, sexy and hilarious. Definitely worthy of PTA's filmography. The best part? Saw it at an advanced screening where most people didn't know what they were getting into it - hearing them complain about how it didn't make sense on the way to the bathroom was hilarious to me. I knew it was going to be a weird, confusing film and it was, amazingly so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"