Paul Thomas Anderson's Inherent Vice

kvz5

HBIC
Staff member
Reaction score
RDJ is eyeing the lead role:

http://www.deadline.com/2011/02/robert-downey-jr-eyeing-paul-thomas-andersons-inherent-vice/

After dropping out of the Alfonso Cuaron-directed Gravity, word is Robert Downey Jr is eyeing Inherent Vice, an adaptation of the Thomas Pynchon mystery novel. Downey would play Larry "Doc" Sportello, a private eye based in Los Angeles in the late 1960s. He's a believer in the psychedelic free-love era, and his case involves an ex-girlfriend, her real estate billionaire boyfriend and a kidnapping. Downey is next booked to star in Iron Man 3, and has given his blessing to his Kiss Kiss Bang Bang director Shane Black to replace Jon Favreau. Not surprisingly, there was no comment from Downey's camp. CAA will piece together the funding for Anderson's next film, and the director likes to be discreet about them. He had been attached to direct The Master, with his Boogie Nights buddy Phil Seymour Hoffman attached to play a guy who hatches a belief system that mushrooms into a religion, and Jeremy Renner was eyeing the role of his right-hand man. Reese Witherspoon was also in the loop. That project got dropped by Universal, which choked on a $35 million budget, but a combination of Warner Bros and Cross Creek Pictures and another financier was in place to fund a streamlined version of the picture. Stay tuned. Downey just wrapped the Sherlock Holmes sequel at Warner Bros.

As a huge fan of Anderson, Pynchon, and Downey, I up very excited for this. Still I hope Anderson gets around to making The Master soon.

Anyone read the novel? What type of character is RDJ supposed to play? I hope this is against-type casting because I am very rapidly growing tired of the RDJ-persona. In any case, it's Paul Thomas Anderson so I'm looking forward to it. (and of course I should add that I want to see The Master as soon a humanly possible too :p)

His character would be a The Dude-type. The book is like a more (pleasantly) convoluted The Big Sleep crossed with an undercurrent of Crying of Lot 49.

I'm in. I'll never get tired of RDJ.

But I was looking forward to The Master. But anything to get him to make a film again.

'The Master' may still become a reality. Billionaress Megan Ellison (who co-financed 'True Grit') is funding PTA's 'Inherent Vice', but is most likely going to fund 'The Master' as well.

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2011/02/paul_thomas_anderson.html

This woman is amazing. Instead of wasting her money on blow and obscure mini giraffes, she's funding quality movies. Although it is slightly depressing to have someone like Paul Thomas Anderson struggling to lock down financing.

His character would be a The Dude-type. The book is like a more (pleasantly) convoluted The Big Sleep crossed with an undercurrent of Crying of Lot 49.
Sounds interesting. I liked Crying of Lot 49, but it didn't inspire me to read any of his other books. I might have to check that one out.

Hopefully he makes Inherent Vice and The Master back to back. I've been missing PTA.

I was watching Magnolia again a few weeks back. And Jesus, it's not very good. Bunker you were right.

Yeah, it has some redeeming qualities, namely Tom Cruise, but I found the whole thing bloated and pretentious. Boogie Nights is still his best film.

Yeah, Cruise was about the only good part. Bloated and pretentious are probably the best words to describe it, yeah.

I still need to see Boogie Nights. I've like There Will be Blood the best from him. Punch Drunk Love was pretty good too.

Funny how opinions differ. Epic yet intimate are the words I would use to describe Magnolia. I would call Boogie Nights derivative, rambling and pointless. There Will be Blood is my fav. Anderson film.

Punch Drunk Love is my favorite PTA film. Not his best, but it all works for me, the music, the characters, the pacing, etc. Also, best lens flares ever.

I can see why Magnolia could come across as pretentious, especially because of the ending, but I can't help but love the characters. William H. Macy, "I really do have love to give! I just don't know where to put it!" C'mon.:csad::awesome:

John C. Reilly's role makes me want to cry and high five him all that the same time.

As for Boogie Nights, it's the film responsible for the greatest scene I've ever seen: the ten minute Alfred Molina confrontation. Holy **** is that an epic scene.

Boogie Nights is my favourite PTA film, it has so much energy, and is mainly just a fun ride (up untill, you know.. things go wrong)

Magnolia is walking on a wonky line.. with its singalongs, everyone crying, people dying, frogs falling from the sky... In the end it has some great parts, and some not so great parts.

Boogie Nights
There Will Be Blood
Punch-Drunk Love
Magnolia - Hard Eight

I wish he'd do The Master first, but if he really does have some kinks to iron out with the script etc., I'll take what I can get.. He's truly one of my favourite directors.

I love Punch Drunk Love.

I like Magnolia though I realize that it's very polarizing.

Boogie Nights is my fave PTA film as well. I have it on blu-ray and watch it all the time. I think that by having the Diggler character as the main protagonist makes the ensemble work really well.

I like Magnolia and Punch-Drunk Love. I love There Will Be Blood.

Hey guys I wonder if he's ever gonna get around to The Master being made before he makes this.

Gary Oldman needs to be in this one somehow. The guy is amazing and such a wasted talent. Plus he is a huge PTA fan.

Can't believe people hating on Magnolia. Top ten favorite film for me. PTA's most fantastic imo. Haven't seen The Master yet though.

Then again, what most people say is pretentious I often love. Pretentious ftw.

Can't believe people hating on Magnolia. Top ten favorite film for me. PTA's most fantastic imo. Haven't seen The Master yet though.

Magnolia was amazing. You gotta see The Master though. Completely different and better IMO.

Glad to see he's reteaming with Phoenix. Not a fan of RDJ at all.

Magnolia was amazing. You gotta see The Master though. Completely different and better IMO.

Glad to see he's reteaming with Phoenix. Not a fan of RDJ at all.

The Master premiered in my country today, seeing it soon! The trailer for it is amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"