Chatwing Interview in Australia

Radamantis

Civilian
Reaction score
http://www.dblegends.com/2009/03/cast-and-crew-interviews/

I was a bit stressed for time when I typed this out so sorry if I made any mistakes. This comes from the Australian magazine TV Week.

Awaken The Dragon

Justin Chatwin reveals what it's like bringing manga hero Goku to life in Dragonball: Evolution.

Adapting an iconic phenonomon like Japanese manga series Dragon Ball for the big screen is fraught with difficulty. Not only is there almost too much spurce material to draw from, there's the inevitable risk that diehard fans won't approve of the end result. While Justin Chatwin - the star of Dragonball: Evolution - is anticipating fan feedback, he hopes it's all positive. Justin tells us what to expect from his take on Goku.

How is Dragonball: Evolution different from the manga comics and anime cartoons?
It's not about Goku, the warrior - he starts out as an everyday guy, a kid who's trying to fit in at school and isn't hugely accepted. The only thing he's even remotely good
at is fighting, so when his grandfather is murdered, Goku sets out on an epic journey with a few other crusaders to avenge his grandfather's death and fulfill his wishes of finding the seven dragonballs before the eclipse. I haven't seen the movie yet, but it's one of the most fun films I've done. I felt like a kid again, playing ninja in the front yard with my friends.

Were you familiar with the cartoon series?
I wasn't raised on it, but I got to watch them. A lot of my ideas about Goku's value system and who this character is definitely came from me studying the cartoons. He's
ultimately a symbol of moral good - he's not completely different from someone like Luke Skywalker.

Did you know James Marsters, who plays Lord Piccolo, from other roles?
No, and I'd only ever seen him in his mask, so I didn't know what he looked like. When this guy came up to me[on set] and started talking like I knew him, I was like "Dude, who are you?" James was awesome to work with, as he's so into it. He's a huge fan of the video games and manga - and his son's a fanatic too.

How was it shooting your fight scenes together?
We both got really into it, man! We'd slam down a few energy drinks, then push each other around. It was a little dangerous - and I think I got a fist to the nose and he had a jab to the jaw a few times.

Did James's fights in Buffy and Torchwood help him?

Yeah, but his outfit was so restricting. We both had on giant padded outfits and were harnessed in wires, hanging there flying, so it was quite tough.

Last edited:
Did you know James Marsters, who plays Lord Piccolo, from other roles?
No, and I'd only ever seen him in his mask, so I didn't know what he looked like. When this guy came up to me[on set] and started talking like I knew him, I was like "Dude, who are you?" James was awesome to work with, as he's so into it. He's a huge fan of the video games and manga - and his son's a fanatic too.
no rehersals. no time for actors to meet before filming.
this was so rushed that Chatwin didnt even see Masters without make up.

or am i wrong?

james masters is green and has a head shaped like an egg?

no rehersals. no time for actors to meet before filming.
this was so rushed that Chatwin didnt even see Masters without make up.

or am i wrong?

Writers strike make Fox take a 2002 Ramsey script, and use it in a rush, remember the movie was program for 2008 august?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"