China Rich Girlfriend | Sequel To Crazy Rich Asians

Well that’s really disappointing that even with movies that feature a completely Asian cast, studios still prioritize white guys behind the scenes. And sure, the studio would argue that he’s the one with the bigger resume, but like she pointed out, that may only be because as a woman of color, she hasn’t been given the opportunities that he has except in instances where she’s asked to inject some culture into a script. Hopefully the sequels turn out okay but it sounds like it’s becoming difficult to manage, especially with three of the main cast members becoming superheroes.

Last edited:
Well that’s really disappointing that even with movies that feature a completely Asian cast, studios still prioritize white guys behind the scenes. And sure, the studio would argue that he’s the best me with the bigger resume, but like she pointed out, that may only be because as a woman of color, she hasn’t been given the opportunities that he has except in instances where she’s asked to inject some culture into a script. Hopefully the sequels turn out okay but it sounds like it’s becoming difficult to manage, especially with three of the main cast members becoming superheroes.
That's the dumbest thing about it. He had one screenplay writing credit before Crazy Rich Asians. She had spent nearly two decades writing and producing for television.

That's the dumbest thing about it. He had one screenplay writing credit before Crazy Rich Asians. She had spent nearly two decades writing and producing for television.
Sure, she has more 'experience', like experience matters any, but he's a white guy, so. :o

Oh dear. What a shame.

I think the second book would make an even better movie than the first

Blame the agents too. Didn’t an executive say that if in negotiations one actor’s agent pushes for more money and the other doesn’t, it’s not like they’re going to tell the other about how much more the other one negotiated.

A studio will pay you less if they can no matter who you are.

Oh wow, I didn't look it up but that doesn't surprise me either. Because he wrote a screenplay for a modest hit movie a decade ago that no one even remembers, he gets the bigger paycheck.

Blame the agents too. Didn’t an executive say that if in negotiations one actor’s agent pushes for more money and the other doesn’t, it’s not like they’re going to tell the other about how much more the other one negotiated.

A studio will pay you less if they can no matter who you are.

Yeah, very true. It's such a difficult industry to navigate. You don't want to ask for too much or else your client will get a bad rep but you also don't want to ask for too little and then wind up in this situation.

I'm surprised they low-low-low-balled her like that. The pay discrepancy isn't even modest, it is severe. They royally ****ed up that because now everyone sees how poorly they pay non-white guys.

This was a similar thing to Grace Park and Daniel Dae Kim leaving Hawaii Five-0 over a pay disparity. Then it was argued that O'Loughlin and Caan were the leads, and the other two were supporting. But here it's a co-writer and the film is about Asians. So she can't just be a supporting writer.

Well that’s really disappointing that even with movies that feature a completely Asian cast, studios still prioritize white guys behind the scenes. And sure, the studio would argue that he’s the one with the bigger resume, but like she pointed out, that may only be because as a woman of color, she hasn’t been given the opportunities that he has except in instances where she’s asked to inject some culture into a script. Hopefully the sequels turn out okay but it sounds like it’s becoming difficult to manage, especially with three of the main cast members becoming superheroes.

3 of the cast? Gemma Chan, Awkwafina and...?

Golding is Snake Eyes in the GI Joe spin-off film.
tXBukuI.gif

I get there's legalities but I imagine WB could've found there way around it to pay her more. That's ridiculous.

I don't know what legalities prevent them from paying her an equal amount. I do know setting the precedent means they would have to actually keep paying equally to women and especially minority women in the future though.

The Youtube videos even have white dudes actively defending her decision, so you know it must be pretty ****ed.

If there happens to be one white actor in the cast this time round, he or she better not get paid more than everyone else and get top billing.

If there happens to be one white actor in the cast this time round, he or she better not get paid more than everyone else and get top billing.

Oh, you know he totally will. You gotta pay these dudes more to get the big box office draw of A-listers like Jim Sturgess and Billy Magnussen on your project.

I feel like every company is going to pay an employee the lowest they can get away with. It's up to the employee or the employee's representation to fight for more. It's unfortunate, but that's the situation.

That said, the pay discrepancy is so egregious that it makes me wonder how WB could've thought it would go undetected. In your movie about Asians, and Asian women specifically, you grossly underpay the Asian woman writing said movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"