Crazy Rich Asians - from the producer of The Hunger Games

The film itself isn't aimed for a Chinese or Singaporean audience, so I doubt there would be much criticism in that aspect at all. The whole idea is to promote Asian Americans in the states, and I think it's doing a good job of that so far, as much as I don't like the way it's going about it.

Like I said above, it's acknowledged by the critics in Singapore that the movie foremost is an Asian American project. Just that it has a blind spot in the way Singapore is presented. Not a biggie.

Last edited:
According to the latest estimates, CRA dropped just 12.7% on Sunday w.r.t Saturday and it's 5 day weekend nao stands at 35.3m.

This is pretty frickin massive. 100m+ is locked with this OW. Also, this is exactly what I would call a CRAZY RICH OPENING WEEKEND.
2nLCBtVR_o.png

You people and these puns. :cmad:

According to the latest estimates, CRA dropped just 12.7% on Sunday w.r.t Saturday and it's 5 day weekend nao stands at 35.3m.

This is pretty frickin massive. 100m+ is locked with this OW. Also, this is exactly what I would call a CRAZY RICH OPENING WEEKEND.
2nLCBtVR_o.png

Bring on Scarjo for the sequel....:oldrazz:

Yeah if they want the movie to open to 18.7M on a 110M budget like Ghost in the Shell.

I know the book sequel has a title but the movie sequel should be called Crazier and Richer: A2ians

Do those two things go together?

Bring on Scarjo for the sequel....:oldrazz:

Scarjo, Emma Stone, Jim Sturgess and Billy Magnussen. I guarantee you that only half that list will generate "outrage."

Speaking of Jim Sturgess. Anyone remember Cloud Atlas? How did trying to make Jim Sturgess and James D'arcy look Asian in that movie not spark massive outrage? Maybe it's just because no one bothered to see it, lol.

Speaking of Jim Sturgess. Anyone remember Cloud Atlas? How did trying to make Jim Sturgess and James D'arcy look Asian in that movie not spark massive outrage? Maybe it's just because no one bothered to see it, lol.

Oddly enough, I don't really have a problem with Cloud Atlas. I don't have a problem with whitewashing (or the reverse) in principle, by itself, just don't try to justify it in a stupid way.

Early estimates has CRA dropping just 5.7% this weekend with 25m. Nao that's a CRAZY RICH 2nd weekend.

CRA will have nice, long LEGS
%40alexdeanphoto459A1199.gif

I saw this last weekend. It was a nice charming little movie. I usually dont watch romantic comedies but this was a good one. A little cheesy but that comes with the territory. Happy its doing very well at the BO. Although, I felt that this was a pretty finite story. Not sure what the sequel will be about.

Family drama never ends.

This film is playing like My Big Fat Greek Wedding, another cultural romantic comedy. It's just bringing out the whole family at the box office.

CRA has the best 2nd weekend hold for any movie (probably ever) in saturated release (without theater count/location expansion). Movies with a holiday in it's sophomore frame shouldn't be considered since it's easier to manage a good percentage retention under these special circumstances.

Smart that they turned Netflix down and went for a theatrical release.

They specifically said they wanted the box office to speak for itself and send a message, good or bad. Netflix would never have gotten the word out like this.

I saw this last weekend. It was a nice charming little movie. I usually dont watch romantic comedies but this was a good one. A little cheesy but that comes with the territory. Happy its doing very well at the BO. Although, I felt that this was a pretty finite story. Not sure what the sequel will be about.

It’s based on a trilogy of novels.
Two more books to go.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-et-mn-crazy-rich-asians-jon-chu-projects-20180820-story.html

According to a USC Annenberg study of the top 100 films of 2017, only 4.8% featured a character of Asian descent with a speaking role. But the "Crazy Rich Asians" effect is real, according to industry creators. At a post-screening Q&A last week hosted by the L.A. chapter of the Asian American Journalists Assn., co-screenwriter Adele Lim relayed a recent meeting she'd had in which an exec noted they were waiting to see how "Crazy Rich Asians" performed before greenlighting similarly diverse projects.

On Twitter, "Sleepy Hollow" executive producer Albert Kim revealed that the wheels of progress are already in motion: "In the last week, two network pilots were sold that feature all-Asian casts. I also know of three cable projects, all in active development, that mostly feature Asian and Asian American characters. It's going to happen, the momentum is there."

https://twitter.com/lcshorten/status/1034180341727019008

Lee Shorten
@lcshorten

Word on the street is that ever since #CrazyRichAsians dropped. Casting have been asking for more Asians.

It’s almost like things that make money get adopted or something weird...

So is this actually good on its own terms, taking out all of the "firsts" with the casting? Kinda looked like your average generic romantic comedy from the trailer I saw with Fallout. *Shrugs*

Wu's really funny on Fresh Off The Boat though, and obviously Jimmy Yang's awesome on Silicon Valley. Might be worth checking out just for them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"