Christian Bale vs. Leonardo DiCaprio

They are two of my favorite actors... Both have had brilliant performances, and each has appeared in a few bad films. I guess I'd give Bale the edge as far as being more versatile... I really believe he could play damn near anything. Leo is also versatile but I guess of the two, Bale is slightly better in that regard. However, Leo does have that megastar quality that very few actors can tap into. He's like a Cary Grant or Humphrey Bogart for the modern era. One of those guys that I think will be remembered forever. Sure, some ignorant people say he sucks because their girlfriends or wives dragged them to see Titanic, but he's more than proven himself to be a true talent since the "Leomania" days.

After seeing The Fighter, Bale passed DiCaprio for me.

Reading old threads always cracks me up. This thread from back in 2009 was hilarious too specially when reading now.

I've seen the Bale/Di Caprio acting comparisons often at online boards but I never understood why those two are always compared? Is it because they're really close in age? Or the way their lines crossed in certain roles (Jack Kelly, Patrick Batemen)?

I personally prefer Bale because I can't envision a character yet that he can't portray. He is fearless.

There's absolutely no doubt though that both Bale and Di Caprio belong to the top tier of actors of their generation when it comes to acting. Any movie involving these 2 excites me and is an automatic watch for me. Better yet, I'd love to see them in a movie together. Let's add RDJ too while we're at it. :woot:

I think it's because they are two very good actors from the same generation without any stretches. I mean, I consider they don't belong to the same generation as Depp or DDL. A five year or more - I don't really know - it's not the same generation for me. Besides, they have been considered for the same roles a few times.

The one it surprised me to know was Titanic. I have read more than once that Bale only did not get the role because Cameron was set on Winslet and some people around the production considered unfair the two main American characters were played by two Brits.

As long as the debate goes, I can't choose because I don't think it's possible to choose when you are dealing with top excellence. I'm a huge fan of both of them. They have chosen different paths in their careers. They have very different styles.

I love DiCaprio because of his ability to show the vulnerability of his characters. They cry a lot his characters and that impresses people, you know, the courage to expose such deep feelings.

I love Bale because he also shows deep emotions but he does so in a more subtle way. Sometimes, it is one muscle on his face that gives away his character's feelings (something that makes him perfect for Batman). He has wide range, he can play any kind of character. He transforms.

I really can't choose. I hope they are both remembered in the future as great ones. I hope the fact that the fact that DiCaprio has starred in more famous films do not bias people.

P.S. I don't think Depp is as good as DDL. DDL is in the same level as the titans: Brando, Streep, De Niro, Pacino, Nicholson. Depp is a demi-titan in my opinion. I think he should have played more ordinary people than he has.

^ Hah! I just realized that I said Jack Kelly instead of Jack Dawson but you got that I meant the Titanic role so it's all good. What makes it all the more interesting is that those two roles (arguably) defined their careers (Dawson for Di Caprio, Bateman for Bale) so who knows what might've happened if the other one got the role. It'll worked out for the best in the end though.

The day Nolan decides to pit them against each other in a film or as co-protagonists will have orgasms being heard all over the planet.

If this happens I will need a new change of pants, wear them, then ask for a pair again.

I think Dicaprio needs to stop doing movies with females and Bale should start doing more with them.

Look at Dicaprio's two best: Shutter Island and The Departed. Coincidence that female roles were at a bare minimum?

Look at Bale's best: American Pycho(even though they were just his victims) is what happens when Bale works closer with female characters.

We should just go back to the days where women weren't allowed out of the bedroom except to go to the kitchen, and men played all roles with wigs and a falsetto voice.

Bale is in far more movies that I like, but with a couple of exceptions I don't like the movies because of him.

People say he's versatile, but to me it just seems like really he has a good personal trainer. Starving yourself and building a ton of muscle all within the span of a year was a great, blinding trick once, but now that he's done it three times it seems pretty stale and like that's one of the only things he knows how to do. Despite putting his body through massive physical changes, he's never brought much unique physicality to any role outside of the most basic surface looks.

I dig the Batman movies, Reign of Fire(because dragons are awesome), The Machinist, and The Prestige is brilliant. Yet in none of these films does he do anything for me- it's always the other elements, some of the other actors, and he just happens to be one of the stars.

The only films where I go, oh ****, Bale! are American Psycho and Equilibrium.

Leo's only in a couple of films I downright love- The Departed and The Quick & The Dead, but he's always a very bright spot in other films even if they aren't some of my favorite films.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. People can have their opinions, but quotes like these need to be explained. Dicaprio is better "hands down"?

I have nothing against Dicaprio--I like him just fine--but Christian Bale is one of the best actors of all time. I repeat: OF... ALL... TIME! And I'm not an "internetian" who has only seen the two Batman films and Terminator and thinks that the "Bale voice" is "awesome." I'm actually a film director and I have been spellbound by Christian Bale's career long before Batman. In fact, his newfound A-list status has unfortunately decreased the quality of his roles in terms of creative curiosity, challenging himself, and pure performance level. I'm intensely dissapionted in the mainstream direction his career has gone because it's unadventurous and just plain repetitive.

That being said, anyone who says anything even close to "Leonardo Dicaprio is a better actor than Christian Bale" has not seen Bale's pre-Batman films. Either that or they have no grasp on quality acting when it's staring them in the face. I've seen every Christian Bale film and the body of work that he created between Empire of the Sun and Harsh Times (basically his "non-movie star" years) is one of the most impressive in film history. The reason is this:

Bale is a chameleon, a true film acting artist. He is nearly unrecognizable from film to film, portraying (amongst others) a reserved middle-class husband, an abused dim-witted innocent, a charming boy-next-door, an LA street thug, a stalwart leader of a rebellion, a psychotic serial killer, the son of God, a racist petty criminal, an introverted musician, and a gaunt insomniac.

The key to this admittedly superficial summary is that Bale not only obviously creates a massive variety of characters with varying traits and psychological backgrounds, but that he transforms into each one differently, changing his appearnace, voice tone, speech pattern, and physical mannerisms and then brings them to life with a flair for creativity that is practically unparalleled. THAT is what makes Christian Bale so great, the absolute authority over these roles--the ability to dissapear inside of them effortlessly when, in truth, every movement and vocal sound that he's making is a choice--and then the level of creativity that is displayed within those choices. This is an actor who completely turns his body into the instrument of his expression.

Dicaprio won't transform, he won't dazzle, he won't give you splendidly creative line readings or physical choices that jump off the screen. He can't make you forget that he's Leonardo Dicaprio. Christian Bale does all of these things with authority. He is in the highest echelon of modern actors, the very definition of greatness: a chameleon who creates every role from the ground up... capable of anything. He may have lost his way and become too much of a movie star for his own good, but he'll always be great, with the next jaw-dropping performance waiting in his back pocket.

Close thread.
Amazing post! Very well put.
icon14.gif

While I don't hate DiCaprio and I don't think that he is talentless or something, I still think comparing him to Bale is a mistake. American Psycho, Equilibrium, Empire Of The Sun, Harsh Times, The Machinist, The Prestige, 3:10 To Yuma etc showed how amazing this guy is as an actor and if there was any doubt for some, The Fighter just managed to prove once again how brilliant he is!

We should just go back to the days where women weren't allowed out of the bedroom except to go to the kitchen, and men played all roles with wigs and a falsetto voice.

I'm not quite sure of these 'days' to which you are referring. Is it a special club or something? Do you have a membership?:huh:

For me, there is no question whatsoever: Leonardo DiCaprio.

Let's just look at this logically from the movies that I felt the actor was great in, to what I felt they were mediocre in.

Leo great:

-What's Eating Gilbert Grape
-The Quick and The Dead
-The Basketball Diaries
-Romeo+Juliet
-Gangs of New York
-Titanic
-Catch Me if You Can
-The Aviator
-The Departed
-Blood Diamond
-Body of Lies
-Shutter Island
-Inception

Leo's mediocre:

-The Man in the Iron Mask
-The Beach

Bales great:

-American Psycho
-Batman Begins
-Harsh Times
-Rescue Dawn
-3:10 to Yuma
-The Fighter
-The Prestige

Bales mediocre:

-The Machinist(Yes, while he transformed his body, I thought his role was beyond mediocre)
-The New World(borderline bad performance)
-Newsies
-I'm Not There
-The Dark Knight(HATED his Bat-voice, and felt like his Wayne was wooden compared to BB)
-Terminator Salvation
-Public Enemies

Bales HORRIBLE movie:

-Reign of Fire
-Laurel Canyon(I don't remember if it was his performance, cause I watched it a long time ago, but I remember the movie being doo-doo. I may have to rewatch, but I don't remember it being a good/great performance)
-Mary, Mother of Jesus(laughably bad! You can stream it on Netflix)

Now if I tally everything, Leo has 13, while Bale only has 7. As for mediocre, Leo has 2, and Bale has 7. And as far as bad performances go, I haven't seen one from Leo yet(even in Growing Pains), and have seen 3 from Bale. But I will say this, both are great actors, but Bale needs to get better at his accents, because Leo TRUMPS him in that department.

What about Equilibrium and Empire of the Sun?
I did forget Equilibrium. I would put that at mediocre. As for Empire of the Sun, I haven't seen that yet. I'll add it to my Netflix queue. :cwink:

Yeah, after just watching it today, even at a young age, Bale is incredible. No doubt the best actor at that age.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"