Christian Bale vs. Leonardo DiCaprio

I would have preferred TWBB over NCFOM too but I do enjoy NCFOM. It's kinda one of those situations where I enjoy both so much that I didn't care too much which one ended up winning. 2007 was a weird year though because I was happy for the films that were nominated/won awards but at the same time, how the hell does a great movie like Zodiac completely slip through the cracks with zero nominations? Sigh. :(

That and Sweeney Todd got screwed out of noms that year :down

Though neither would have deserved to win had they been nominated. Given I'm all about TWBB :oldrazz:

That and Sweeney Todd got screwed out of noms that year :down

Though neither would have deserved to win had they been nominated. Given I'm all about TWBB :oldrazz:

I'm not even talking about Best Picture. Zodiac received zero nominations across the board, not even in the technical categories. The film is the definition of well-crafted from a technical standpoint. It just goes to show how the Academy tends to go with movies released later in the year. Zodiac got screwed by Paramount when they decided to move it from fall 2006 to spring 2007.

I think that in 2007 between No Country for Old Men and There Will be Blood, there was no wrong in either one of them winning. I was fine with either.

I'm not even talking about Best Picture. Zodiac received zero nominations across the board, not even in the technical categories. The film is the definition of well-crafted from a technical standpoint. It just goes to show how the Academy tends to go with movies released later in the year. Zodiac got screwed by Paramount when they decided to move it from fall 2006 to spring 2007.

This is very true. Many great films suffer from that. I expect DiCaprio to not get any attention for Shutter Island for this very reason. I think his performance is one that should be at least considered for a nomination, but given the Feb release, I don't see it getting the nom. Which is a shame, IMO.

This is very true. Many great films suffer from that. I expect DiCaprio to not get any attention for Shutter Island for this very reason. I think his performance is one that should be at least considered for a nomination, but given the Feb release, I don't see it getting the nom. Which is a shame, IMO.

Shutter Island, another Paramount release. I smell a conspiracy. :hehe:

I think that in 2007 between No Country for Old Men and There Will be Blood, there was no wrong in either one of them winning. I was fine with either.

But...NCFOM didn't have the milkshake scene :csad:

Shutter Island, another Paramount release. I smell a conspiracy. :hehe:

I think we're on to something! :oldrazz:

So you are saying any actor that would agree to work with Daniel Day-Lewis, Kate Winslet or any oscar winner would ONLY do it for the Oscars? Ok I understand.

:whatever: I never said that but you are content to putting words in my mouth and condense my comments to dumb simplifications. And last I checked I said nothing of Gangs of New York in respect to DDL and DiCaprio. Nor did I say it was an only reason. But if you like to think when the Weinstein Company made Nine, a movie that looked and was marketed exactly like Chicago, which won the 2002 Oscar for best picture, hired the same director, Oscar winning costume designer, cinematographer and a cast of exclusively Oscar winners and nominees (plus Fergie in a cameo) that the thought of awards never crossed the mind of Harvey or anybody involved, then nothing I say will change that. :whatever:

Not that that means Nine was a bad or souless film. It was actually much better I thought than critics gave it credit for and had some obvious love put into it. But if I said Transformers 2 was made to fill Paramount's pockets you would come back and ***** me out for trivalizing LeBeouf's work in that film.

2007 was just a great year for movies, period. I really, really loved Sweeney Todd and The Assassination of Jesse James and was sad both got passed over for best picture (though glad Depp and Casey Affleck got nominated, respectively for those films). They may have been my favorites. Same goes with Zodiac and Into the Wild.

At the same time I thought There Will Be Blood was a masterpiece that becomes more satisfying with each viewing. In retrospect I think that possibly should have won best picture. But NCFOM is a very good movie. And I loved Juno and Atonement as well and I liked Michael Clayton. Really there were just a lot of strong films that year, indeed.

2007 was just a great year for movies, period. I really, really loved Sweeney Todd and The Assassination of Jesse James and was sad both got passed over for best picture (though glad Depp and Casey Affleck got nominated, respectively for those films). They may have been my favorites. Same goes with Zodiac and Into the Wild.

At the same time I thought There Will Be Blood was a masterpiece that becomes more satisfying with each viewing. In retrospect I think that possibly should have won best picture. But NCFOM is a very good movie. And I loved Juno and Atonement as well and I liked Michael Clayton. Really there were just a lot of strong films that year, indeed.

2007 was definitely an incredible year in film. I'd have to say it was the best year of the decade in film. The difference between TWBB and NCFOM is that NCFOM is more entertaining, but TWBB has better themes. Like you said, it's one of those things where it becomes more clear with repeat viewings that TWBB probably should have won. It's just that it is so much of a character study instead of plot-driven that an exciting and well-crafted film with strong themes in its own right seemed like the more obvious choice.

I'm loving the Sweeney Todd love in this thread. It maybe Burton's best for me, that or Edward Scissorhands.

Ed Wood tops the list for me as far as Burton goes.

That's a darn good one too. Probably my top three right there. Add in Big Fish (which showed me a film of his could be more than fantasy and have tons of heart) and there's my top 4 of his. Everything else is in a dog fight for #5. Probably Beetlejuice at #5.

That's a darn good one too. Probably my top three right there. Add in Big Fish (which showed me a film of his could be more than fantasy and have tons of heart) and there's my top 4 of his. Everything else is in a dog fight for #5. Probably Beetlejuice at #5.

I grew up with Batman and Batman Returns so they are tied for #2 on my Burton list. Heck, they were practically babysitters for me (I was 3 years old when B89 came out and my parents took me to see it...it is the reason I am a Batman fan today). #3 I would probably go with Beetlejuice. #4 Edward Scissorhands. #5...drum roll please...Sleepy Hollow. Guilty pleasure. :woot:

I'm one of those people whose opinion on His Batman films has gone down over the years, so they used to be my top 5. Sleepy Hollow whooped butt!

I'm loving the Sweeney Todd love in this thread. It maybe Burton's best for me, that or Edward Scissorhands.

I absolutely love Sweeney Todd. It works so well on so many levels. It is both a tragedy and a comedy. A horror film that is also a musical. It is really ****ing brilliant. I think what really endears me to the movie that it is the closest we have gotten to that old Universal gothic horror of the 1920s and 1930s. Moreso than the Wolfman remake even. If you took out the blood and singing, that script and story could have been done with Boris Karloff or Peter Lorre in the 1930s! James Whale would have loved the Mrs. Lovett character as envisioned here. I love it so much. And the music is so movingly sad.

It makes you laugh and cry. That is why it is my favorite film of 2007 and my second favorite Burton movie. It also got me really into the musical (I've since seen two different stage productions of it and own the original cast recording with about 1 hour more of music).

Anyway my favorite Burton films:

1. Ed Wood
2. Sweeney Todd
3. Big Fish
4. Edward Scissorhands
5. Beetlejuice

I like his Batman movies and Sleepy Hollow, but those five films were freaking great. They all have so much heart and are so eccentrically and lovingly crafted. You can just watch them again and again. The fact the first three were ignored at the Oscars for the most part (though Ed Wood did win for supporting actor) makes me sad.

I absolutely love Sweeney Todd. It works so well on so many levels. It is both a tragedy and a comedy. A horror film that is also a musical. It is really ****ing brilliant. I think what really endears me to the movie that it is the closest we have gotten to that old Universal gothic horror of the 1920s and 1930s. Moreso than the Wolfman remake even. If you took out the blood and singing, that script and story could have been done with Boris Karloff or Peter Lorre in the 1930s! James Whale would have loved the Mrs. Lovett character as envisioned here. I love it so much. And the music is so movingly sad.

It makes you laugh and cry. That is why it is my favorite film of 2007 and my second favorite Burton movie. It also got me really into the musical (I've since seen two different stage productions of it and own the original cast recording with about 1 hour more of music).

Anyway my favorite Burton films:

1. Ed Wood
2. Sweeney Todd
3. Big Fish
4. Edward Scissorhands
5. Beetlejuice

I like his Batman movies and Sleepy Hollow, but those five films were freaking great. They all have so much heart and are so eccentrically and lovingly crafted. You can just watch them again and again. The fact the first three were ignored at the Oscars for the most part (though Ed Wood did win for supporting actor) makes me sad.

Ironically enough, Landau had no business winning that Supporting Actor award. I loved his work in Ed Wood, but c'mon...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPHuE5pDlEs

Landau was great as Bella in Ed Wood, but I probably would have given the BSA award to Gary Sinese as Lt. Dan. Even over Freeman as Red.

As for Burton films, Edward Scissorhands tops the list for me. That is a beautifully made film :up:

Whoa, whoa, whoa. People can have their opinions, but quotes like these need to be explained. Dicaprio is better "hands down"?

I have nothing against Dicaprio--I like him just fine--but Christian Bale is one of the best actors of all time. I repeat: OF... ALL... TIME! And I'm not an "internetian" who has only seen the two Batman films and Terminator and thinks that the "Bale voice" is "awesome." I'm actually a film director and I have been spellbound by Christian Bale's career long before Batman. In fact, his newfound A-list status has unfortunately decreased the quality of his roles in terms of creative curiosity, challenging himself, and pure performance level. I'm intensely dissapionted in the mainstream direction his career has gone because it's unadventurous and just plain repetitive.

That being said, anyone who says anything even close to "Leonardo Dicaprio is a better actor than Christian Bale" has not seen Bale's pre-Batman films. Either that or they have no grasp on quality acting when it's staring them in the face. I've seen every Christian Bale film and the body of work that he created between Empire of the Sun and Harsh Times (basically his "non-movie star" years) is one of the most impressive in film history. The reason is this:

Bale is a chameleon, a true film acting artist. He is nearly unrecognizable from film to film, portraying (amongst others) a reserved middle-class husband, an abused dim-witted innocent, a charming boy-next-door, an LA street thug, a stalwart leader of a rebellion, a psychotic serial killer, the son of God, a racist petty criminal, an introverted musician, and a gaunt insomniac.

The key to this admittedly superficial summary is that Bale not only obviously creates a massive variety of characters with varying traits and psychological backgrounds, but that he transforms into each one differently, changing his appearnace, voice tone, speech pattern, and physical mannerisms and then brings them to life with a flair for creativity that is practically unparalleled. THAT is what makes Christian Bale so great, the absolute authority over these roles--the ability to dissapear inside of them effortlessly when, in truth, every movement and vocal sound that he's making is a choice--and then the level of creativity that is displayed within those choices. This is an actor who completely turns his body into the instrument of his expression.

Dicaprio won't transform, he won't dazzle, he won't give you splendidly creative line readings or physical choices that jump off the screen. He can't make you forget that he's Leonardo Dicaprio. Christian Bale does all of these things with authority. He is in the highest echelon of modern actors, the very definition of greatness: a chameleon who creates every role from the ground up... capable of anything. He may have lost his way and become too much of a movie star for his own good, but he'll always be great, with the next jaw-dropping performance waiting in his back pocket.

Close thread.

Ha! Amazing post considering it was written over a year ago, before The Fighter was ever shot (I think) and certainly before even a trailer. I think The Fighter has shown mainstream audiences Christian Bale's astonishing chameleon-like ability. It matches to a tee your description of his abilities. Leonardo DiCaprio will never give a performance like that in his entire life.

Bale and Leo are in my top five. I love them both.

1. Hanks
2. Ford
3. Downey Jr.
4. Bale
5. DiCaprio

It's so hard to pick one over the other. They could be interchangeable for me.

Reading old threads always cracks me up. This thread from back in 2009 was hilarious too specially when reading now.

I've seen the Bale/Di Caprio acting comparisons often at online boards but I never understood why those two are always compared? Is it because they're really close in age? Or the way their lines crossed in certain roles (Jack Dawson, Patrick Bateman)?

I personally prefer Bale because I can't envision a character yet that he can't portray. He is fearless.

There's absolutely no doubt though that both Bale and Di Caprio belong to the top tier of actors of their generation when it comes to acting. Any movie involving these 2 excites me and is an automatic watch for me. Better yet, I'd love to see them in a movie together. Let's add RDJ too while we're at it. :woot:

Last edited:
DiCaprio is better actor, no doubt. Bale is great, but Leo is one of the best in the world side my side with Depp and Day-Lewis.

The day Nolan decides to pit them against each other in a film or as co-protagonists will have orgasms being heard all over the planet.

Regarding the actual thread, I am a Bale fan but Leo edges him out for me on the sheer fact that he is this generation's Brando. And I don't feel that is an exaggeration.

The day Nolan decides to pit them against each other in a film or as co-protagonists will have orgasms being heard all over the planet.

Regarding the actual thread, I am a Bale fan but Leo edges him out for me on the sheer fact that he is this generation's Brando. And I don't feel that is an exaggeration.
When they are in the same film, I will crap my pants.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"