Christianity and Islam - Building Bridges of Peace and Justice

The Question said:
And yet....

“But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?” James 2:20

The Bible is full of contradiction. I guess I simply subscribe to the passages that aren't pretentious and elitest.
How does that passage disprove me? It doesn't. There are hundreds of passages that back me up. The only path to Heaven is through Jesus Christ.

The Question said:
And, as I said, it was just so damn lucky that the scrptures they deemed false were the ones that threatened their power base. I mean, what are the odds?
A lot of churches have been like this. Putting money and personal gain over the genuine messages God was trying to give us. Take Catholics for example. In England a few centuries ago, people had to pay the priest to confess their sins. That evil practice by the church pretty much said you could buy your way into Heaven. When church and state were one and church ruled the state and was a big governing part of it and its leaders, they tried anything to stay in power, probably even omitting certain things in the Bible. If that ever truly happened, which I don't know, I don't think it would detract from the overall message you are suppose to get out of it.

chaseter said:
A lot of churches have been like this. Putting money and personal gain over the genuine messages God was trying to give us. Take Catholics for example. In England a few centuries ago, people had to pay the priest to confess their sins. That evil practice by the church pretty much said you could buy your way into Heaven. When church and state were one and church ruled the state and was a big governing part of it and its leaders, they tried anything to stay in power, probably even omitting certain things in the Bible. If that ever truly happened, which I don't know, I don't think it would detract from the overall message you are suppose to get out of it.

Nothing was likely omitted. They have copies of scriptures that go back to just a few decades after they were originally written and there aren't any significant changes.

chaseter said:
How does that passage disprove me? It doesn't. There are hundreds of passages that back me up. The only path to Heaven is through Jesus Christ.
There are hundreds that don't.

ShadowBoxing said:
There are hundreds that don't.

Actually no. There is nothing in Biblical scripture to show, in context, that man can work his own way to salvation.

War Lord said:
Actually no. There is nothing in Biblical scripture to show, in context, that man can work his own way to salvation.
No one made that claim. Not even the Question. However the Bible doesn't wholly support that Jesus Christ is the only way to salvation.

However here are a few refuting what you just did claim.

John 5:28-29 "Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice, and shall come forth; they that have done good to the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, to the resurrection of damnation." Says nothing about faith

Romans 2:6-7, Paul writes that God "Who will render to every man according to his deeds: To them who by patient continuance in well doing, seek for glory, and honor, and immortality; eternal life."

James 2:24 says, "Ye see that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only."

James 2:26: "For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also."

James 2:18 "Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works. Show me thy faith without thy works, and I will show thee my faith by my works."

Hebrews 6:11: "And we desire that each one of you may show the same diligence unto the fullness of hope, even unto the end."

James 2:19: "Thou believest there is one God, thou doest well; the demons also believe and tremble." (saying even Demons believe, implying without good works you have the same faith the demons have)

James 2:22 "Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect"

Ephesians 2:9: "Not of works, that no man should glory."

I missed quiet a few...and have a few more pages...although these should be sufficient for now.

This thread should be titled "Christianity and Islam: More Money Than God/Allah/Chuck Norris"

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"