• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Christopher Nolan's "Dunkirk" (July 21, 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Branagh

LRom08E.jpg

reD2Txc.jpg

0kEMFHo.jpg

YYWczx3.jpg

13323726_806383039491692_9001974159153717570_o.jpg

Really interested in what Nolan will do with this material since this is his first movie set in "reality" since... uh, Insomnia?

^ Yeah, I guess it is. And his first based on (or at least set in) true events. I'm fascinated to see how twisty the plot will be. I have a feeling he's trying to move away from that a bit, but I can't back it up.

^ That really annoys me on bluray. Very distracting. I was glad the SW: TFA one just kept the same aspect ratio throughout.

Agreed. It was like someone constantly turning the lights on and off in a room. It gets annoying

It's going to be interesting to see the tweens reactions watching a Nolan movie with Harry Styles in it.

Imagine the outrage if Nolan kills the character.

Imagine the adult outrage is he's the only, or one of the only, major characters who survives till the end. ;)

Oh Nolan, you wily fox.

bats are gonna come out of the other side any time now.

Or vests.

Interested in seeing how this film does in America, as Dunkirk takes place before America enters World War II.

Interested in seeing how this film does in America, as Dunkirk takes place before America enters World War II.

That's a good point. Hadn't thought of that. This is the most British film Nolan has done.

In theatres I'm sure it's a cool effect, but on television screens...

Variable aspect ratio has never bothered me. If a scene was filmed in a certain aspect ratio I want to see it in that ratio or as close as possible. If scenes are filmed in different ratios so be it. The whole point of blu-ray and UHD is preserving and presenting films in as high quality as possible the way the director wants it to be or as close as possible to how they want it to be.

Catching Fire used the shifting aspect ratio brilliantly on the blu-ray. As Katnis is going up the elevator into the arena the aspect expands from 2.35:1 to 1.78:1 and all the arena scenes are 1.78:1. Looks so much better than the cropped 2.35:1 arena scenes on the DVD.

TDKR had a pretty cool moment too when Catwoman and Bats are in the sewers. When Batman walks through the gate onto the catwalk it's 2.35:1. As the gate falls the ratio shifts to 1.78:1. The sound effect of the gate hitting the ground and the downward motion of the gate makes the shift damn near seamless.

But there are some shifts in Nolan's films that aren't as seamless.

Some directors utilize shifting aspect ratios better than others.

Maybe Branagh take role Admiral Bertram Ramsay.

qzK4cqE.jpg

1f6hmTU.jpg

MJ1cN5D.jpg

T02FVWv.jpg

_

Other

2775584.jpg

2775585.jpg

2775586.jpg

2775588.jpg

2775587.jpg

I'd say it's a pretty good bet Branagh is playing Bertram Ramsay. He seems to be wearing an Admiral's uniform, he looks like Ramsay, and Ramsay was one of the major figures involved in the evacuation.

I'd just laugh if Harry Style's character is a traitor and weaselly kills Tom Hardy's character.

Got to give props to Nolan, no way in Hell would I be wearing anything even resembling a suit while filming on a beach in summer, nope.

^ Must've been cold, though, all the other crew members are pretty well rugged up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"