Christopher Nolan's "Dunkirk" (July 21, 2017) - Part 3

Memento was ahead of its time, and 2000 was a strong year. I think had it been released in 2001, a much weaker year, he would have been in the running.

It competed in 2002 Oscar btw.

It competed in 2002 Oscar btw.

Did it? I said 2000 because my research said it was a 2000 movie. But if that is the case, upon research of 2002, then yes it deserved more attention. I mean, Chicago WON that year. It was weak, LOL

Did it? I said 2000 because my research said it was a 2000 movie. But if that is the case, upon research of 2002, then yes it deserved more attention. I mean, Chicago WON that year. It was weak, LOL

Erm, Chicago won Oscars and awards in 2003. It's a 2002 film.

Memento is a 2000 film compete in 2002 Oscar.

Not sure which year you're talking about.

Erm, Chicago won Oscars and awards in 2003. It's a 2002 film.

Memento is a 2000 film compete in 2002 Oscar.

Not sure which year you're talking about.

You're phrasing made me think it competed against 2002 films, not the 2002 awards. For future, guess has to be more specific, lol

I looked at the 2001 awards, and yeah...not a good excuse. That was a weak group.

Last edited:
Memento is a 2000 film competed in 2002 Oscars.

It would have competed in the 2001 ceremonies. Nominated films must have been released in the previous calendar year.

It would have competed in the 2001 ceremonies. Nominated films must have been released in the previous calendar year.

IMDB confirms it competed in the 2002 awards. Not sure why, but it did. It was only nominated for Editing and Screenplay. Yeah it deserved more, LOL

Memento didn't get a release in the US until 2001, which is why it competed in the 2002 Academy Awards.

Memento didn't get a release in the US until 2001, which is why it competed in the 2002 Academy Awards.

Yes, I stand corrected. I was just going by the 2000 release year cited in the post. And normally, that would mean the 2001 ceremonies. But though Memento premiered at the Venice International Film Festival in 2000, it was only released in the US (as you say) in 2001. And I guess that’s the relevant date as far Oscar eligibility is concerned.

Nolan's fan website has gone full reactionary. Blaming sjw's, liberals, virtue signaling and the oppression of the white man. Why am I not surprised that nolanites are primed for this kind of thing.

Nolan's fan website has gone full reactionary. Blaming sjw's, liberals, virtue signaling and the oppression of the white man. Why am I not surprised that nolanites are primed for this kind of thing.

Not going to lie, my first reaction was Nolan has a fan website? LOL!

It got the Oscars i thought it should....

giphy.gif

Love this. :yay:

Nolan is kind of like Spielberg was in the 1970s-early 1980s. Definitely a gifted and successful filmmaker, but only really beginning to show us what he can really do in terms of infusing his incredible work with more gravitas to garner more critical praise.

These guys need to stop getting behind things that I like.

Leave Nolan alone. Throw those ****fits at ABC for cancelling Tim Allen's show or something. :o

Nolan is kind of like Spielberg was in the 1970s-early 1980s. Definitely a gifted and successful filmmaker, but only really beginning to show us what he can really do in terms of infusing his incredible work with more gravitas to garner more critical praise.

Nolan ticked someone off in a high place somewhere, LOL!!! But yeah, his career is very much like Spielberg's in terms of trajectory to this point. Not so much in feel as Spileberg's movies were always more rooted in the magic of cinema, while Nolan's tend to be more intellectual. But the trajectory itself is the same.

Question is, when will he get his Schindler's List?

Question is, when will he get his Schindler's List?

Nolan has to find his own Schindler's List. Spielberg's journey as a creator to Schindler's List happened over time, with him taking on projects with increasing emotional depth. Nolan is one of the few directors active right now who almost gets to name his own ticket, so it's up to him, really.

Personally, I thought Dunkirk was like his Private Ryan/Schindler's List all rolled in one. Huge in scale, yet intimate. Felt like something his career had been building towards, yet totally different than anything he's done before. And an incredibly human story at the core. It was something very personal to him just like Schindler's List was for Spielberg. I thought it was extremely touching and powerful, the ending in particular of course. But I could see its constant intensity having a numbing effect on some.

I hope that's true. Dunkirk definitely felt like a turning point where he converted a lot of his doubters. And hey, it got him his first nomination.

At the same time, I don't know...with everything going on at in the industry at this point, he's in sort of the awkward position of being a straight white male who generally makes movies starring straight white males.

Please nobody misinterpret that as me saying "liburl Hollywood is oppressing teh white man". It's not that, believe me, I'm very happy about the increased representation we're seeing and all the positive social change taking place... and generally happy about anything that would make Donald Trump angry. But just calling a spade a spade-- it puts him in a bit of an awkward spot. Especially because the director's chair is symbolic of the ultimate "power role" in Hollywood. And in a sense, he IS the most powerful director in Hollywood right now in terms of being able to write his own ticket. There's a jealousy factor there because of that, regardless of any of the race/gender stuff. Cause the snubbing stuff is nothing new, everyone has noticed it happening to him for a while now, even when most of his competition were other straight white males. So it is what it is. He makes films for a broad audience, but there's always been a portion of the audience he doesn't connect with and that clearly extends to within the industry too.

Thing is- I love Nolan because I think he strikes the art/commercial balance better than anyone working today and he does it in his own, uncompromising, non-pandering sort of way. So even though as a fan I'd like to see him get the validation from his peers- he's doing pretty okay without it, and I think his body of work will speak for itself.

As far as the gender equality aspect goes, I hope it at least earns him some brownie points in the future that his wife is such a key collaborator for him. She's another reason I'd be happy to see one of his films win BP someday, it would be just as big (and deserved) of an accomplishment for her as it would be for him.

Part of the problem is the inflated value people put on the Oscars. Sure it would be nice for Nolan to win one, but him not doesn't change the fact that he's one of the biggest directors on earth and has complete impunity to make whatever he wants on the scale that he wants. It's not that big of a deal.

But I thought the Nolanites had gone away once the Zaddy Lovers took over? It's all about Batman after all.

Dunkirk was good, but only The Dark Knight should've won Best Picture.

Coco was the best movie of 2017, and it only got considered for Best Animated Feature...so...just saying.

His Schinder's list ? More like his "The Color Purple"

And yes his career up to this point has been extremely alike Spielberg's. Here's my quote in the Nolanfans Forum:
Yes, Nolan's films are mostly blockbusters.

I think he should stop making blockbuster to focus on smaller, more subtle and deep projects so that he can be more likely to get an Oscar, then he can continued with blockbusters.

His career has been extremely like Steven Spielberg's. Spielberg be came famous for his fantastic, iconic blockbusters, then he moved to smaller projects and started sweeping Oscars. After that, he came back to big films.

Nolan has had his "Raiders of The Lost Ark", what he needs now is his own "The Color Purple:.

No, I dont mean that he should stop doing blockbusters for awhile to get Oscar.

As much as I love his films, I have to admit that they lack some kind of deep meaning. Sure his writing is awesome, complex as hell and his directing is fantastic but I wanna see a more hearted, deep with subtle meaning movie from him. Steven Spielberg used to create magical from Blockbusters, but then he moved too other project like "The Color Purple" or "Schinder's List" and that's when he shined.

It's so weird. What does Nolan winning an Oscar do for their lives?

Nolan is making the films he wants to make. Isn't that what's important?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
japanorsomewher
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"