Christopher Nolan's "Dunkirk" (July 21, 2017) - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Teasers for Nolan's films are generally underwhelming so I'm not expecting much until we get a proper trailer.

I disagree. I've loved most of his teasers, particularly because they hold back so much.

Screen goes black/

Chris Nolan walks to the screen (in imax), takes a drink of tea and says;

"I made The Dark Knight, see you in 2017."

teaser ends/

I would definitely want to hear how Nolan sipping tea sounds like with IMAX surround sound systems.

Harry Styles

Dunkirk.jpg

CoPOtNVXEAAb84j.jpg

Out of the loop..but did we get a trailer at the comic con?

Out of the loop..but did we get a trailer at the comic con?
Negative. Either with Jason Bourne or Suicide Squad.

We should get it online earlier, though.

Negative. Either with Jason Bourne or Suicide Squad.

We should get it online earlier, though.

Trailers for Nolan's films tend to premiere in theaters on a friday and premiere online the following Monday.

Nolan don't tolerate that leak ****, haha.

Nolan don't tolerate that leak ****, haha.

Yet ironically, every one of his trailers have leaked for the past 8 years, lol.

Just give the people the goods. The whole "leak" thing has gotten silly. We're going to get it whether you like it or not... might as well be in 1080p. Stop hiding stuff that you're going to give us in 6 months anyway.

I assume Nolan prefers his trailers to be seen on the big screen by as many people as possible. The same way he prefers his films to be seem in theaters. So his trailers come out in theaters a few days before they are released online. Home viewing movies and trailers seems to be an after-thought for him. He's focused on the theatrical experience.

But, Rocketman, is right. A leak will happen and people will watch it that way. Whether Nolan is clueless about this or ignores it IDK.

I assume Nolan prefers his trailers to be seen on the big screen by as many people as possible. The same way he prefers his films to be seem in theaters. So his trailers come out in theaters a few days before they are released online. Home viewing movies and trailers seems to be an after-thought for him. He's focused on the theatrical experience.

But, Rocketman, is right. A leak will happen and people will watch it that way. Whether Nolan is clueless about this or ignores it IDK.

We were supposedly getting a trailer today according to some very reliable people on NolanFans.

But relating to my disagreement of his view on leaked trailers... I'm also starting to change my tune in agreeing with him on the film vs. digital debate.

Digital has clearly made some incredible improvements in the past few years. Fincher's work on Gone Girl is an older example, but most of the stuff we're getting in theaters now is digitally filmed and it doesn't look much different from film anymore. The Shallows, The Martian, Straight Outta Compton, and Money Monster were all shot on the RED and they look fantastic.

We were supposedly getting a trailer today according to some very reliable people on NolanFans.

But relating to my disagreement of his view on leaked trailers... I'm also starting to change my tune in agreeing with him on the film vs. digital debate.

Digital has clearly made some incredible improvements in the past few years. Fincher's work on Gone Girl is an older example, but most of the stuff we're getting in theaters now is digitally filmed and it doesn't look much different from film anymore. The Shallows, The Martian, Straight Outta Compton, and Money Monster were all shot on the RED and they look fantastic.

Films shot with the Arri Alexa cameras (Sicario, Skyfall, Mad Max:Fury Road)are visually captivating as well. I agree that the gap in picture quality between digital and film has significantly decreased.

Films shot with the Arri Alexa cameras (Sicario, Skyfall, Mad Max:Fury Road)are visually captivating as well. I agree that the gap in picture quality between digital and film has significantly decreased.

Completely agreed, and I'd also argue that shooting on film doesn't hold much value now for theatrical viewing. In my experience, digital projection doesn't do many favors for movies shot on film - they usually look pixelated, notably desaturated, and flat.

This isn't the case for several premium theaters pocketed around California throughout America, for sure. But the great majority of American audiences don't get to see or appreciate the efforts of Tarantino, Nolan, PTA, etc. for sticking with film.

A lot of this can occur simply because theater chains don't invest in good projection devices. All movies I've seen at several Carmike Cinemas locations have honestly looked no better than a DVD blown up. More recently, I caught Star Trek Beyond in XD, a supposedly premiere format at Cinemark theaters, and the picture quality was very underwhelming (huge loss of color - even ads on Youtube looked much more sharp). Substandard IMAX locations are another example.

I agree. Stranger Things was shot on Red Epic and it totally mimics that 80's look perfectly.

One-minute teaser confirmed to be attached to SS.

Completely agreed, and I'd also argue that shooting on film doesn't hold much value now for theatrical viewing. In my experience, digital projection doesn't do many favors for movies shot on film - they usually look pixelated, notably desaturated, and flat.

This isn't the case for several premium theaters pocketed around California throughout America, for sure. But the great majority of American audiences don't get to see or appreciate the efforts of Tarantino, Nolan, PTA, etc. for sticking with film.

A lot of this can occur simply because theater chains don't invest in good projection devices. All movies I've seen at several Carmike Cinemas locations have honestly looked no better than a DVD blown up. More recently, I caught Star Trek Beyond in XD, a supposedly premiere format at Cinemark theaters, and the picture quality was very underwhelming (huge loss of color - even ads on Youtube looked much more sharp). Substandard IMAX locations are another example.

Yea, I'll be totally honest. My wife and I won't go out to a theater unless we have passes, enough AMC/Regal credits for free tickets, or seriously game the GoFoBo.com / AdvanceScreenings.com system. If you haven't discovered the latter, it's awesome. We've seen most of the big releases this year through Advance Screenings.

There's a noticeable lack of quality in video and audio that we're just saying no a lot more often, especially when stacked on top of how many incidents were having with crowds. It didn't occur to me that studios might be giving the chains an option to show a lower resolution copy for a lower cut of the proceeds.

At least some of the trailer has leaked, but this time I'm avoiding it until the official version.

Just based on those 30 seconds (which is not enough for a proper judgment call obviously), it looks like Nolan has adopted an entirely different style of filmmaking. Everything is static and not handheld, bigger landscapes instead of close-ups, and more in the frame. It looks like a sweeping epic of the old days as opposed to his more modern approach.

This is looking more and more like the least Nolany Nolan film we've ever gotten, which I'm on the fence about. Zimmer's music is on point, though. As is the Arial Black title font.

I'm assuming this won't be online until Monday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"