The Dark Knight Rises Christopher Nolan's Goodbye To The Batman Trilogy

Christopher-Nolan-The-Dark-Knight-Rises-poster.jpg

That totally needs to say VEST at the top.

I think we should come up with something really neat and classy to do as a fanbase to thank him or something. The man took a lot of risks in inviting us to share his vision of Batman. Not all of it was what we wanted to see, necessarily, or how some of us may have done it, but it was damn good storytelling. I think about that every time I don't like something. It may not be exact, but he gave us enough of the right details and absolutely nailed the essence of everything (individually and collectively). We can criticize, and we can have constructive discussions, but we have no right to deride and complain as so many have stooped to do.

That totally needs to say VEST at the top.

I think we should come up with something really neat and classy to do as a fanbase to thank him or something. The man took a lot of risks in inviting us to share his vision of Batman. Not all of it was what we wanted to see, necessarily, or how some of us may have done it, but it was damn good storytelling. I think about that every time I don't like something. It may not be exact, but he gave us enough of the right details and absolutely nailed the essence of everything (individually and collectively). We can criticize, and we can have constructive discussions, but we have no right to deride and complain as so many have stooped to do.

Absolutely money post!

We have to give it up for the man who has put toghether arguable one of the best trilogies of all time and definitely the best superhero trilogy. Just look at where the batman franchise was left off before he arrived.

It's a bit sad this is it for him and Batman but he's done a hell of a job and brought a new level of respect to the superhero genre in general. Hats off to Chris Nolan.

Christopher-Nolan-The-Dark-Knight-Rises-poster.jpg

That is one epic image!

:waa: I caught an extract of this yesterday, made me real emotional. Goodbye Chris :hrt: Sorry I wasn't in love with TDKR but you're still a personal hero of mine. Thanks Kvz5 for yet another brilliant thread.

made me order the book on amazon.

he keeps those coins flowing in....

haha seriously though, massive congrats (claps enthusuastically)

I appreciate what Nolan is done with Batman. He's made some very good films. Has he raised the bar? To a point. He's also just scratched the surface of the Batman mythology, of what Batman can be. He's basically explored...well, the very basics. There is certainly room for improvement, and while I appreciate his work with the character and mythology, its time for someone else to get a shot at proving that. And I think his last line indicates just that. Also, I don't really buy the whole "We never thought we'd do a second or third" bit. At all.

I have to thank Chris for not only an unbelievably engaging and thrilling trilogy, but for also where he brought Bruce on his journey. This journey went beyond the comic book realm and mirrors, I believe, what we as human beings struggle with every day of our lives.

Pain. Loss. Grief. Making mistakes. But through these films you've emphasised the importance of moving on and being happy, because at the end of the day, no-one is going to live our lives for us but us. We have to be happy in ourselves.

A simple message, but an unbelievably powerful one.

This was from the foreword of the The Art and Making of The Dark Knight Trilogy book:

Alfred. Gordon. Lucius. Bruce . . . Wayne. Names that have come to mean so much to me. Today, I’m three weeks from saying a final good-bye to these characters and their world. It’s my son’s ninth birthday. He was born as the Tumbler was being glued together in my garage from random parts of model kits. Much time, many changes. A shift from sets where some gunplay or a helicopter were extraordinary events to working days where crowds of extras, building demolitions, or mayhem thousands of feet in the air have become familiar.

People ask if we’d always planned a trilogy. This is like being asked whether you had planned on growing up, getting married, having kids. The answer is complicated. When David and I first started cracking open Bruce’s story, we flirted with what might come after, then backed away, not wanting to look too deep into the future. I didn’t want to know everything that Bruce couldn’t; I wanted to live it with him. I told David and Jonah to put everything they knew into each film as we made it. The entire cast and crew put all they had into the first film. Nothing held back. Nothing saved for next time. They built an entire city. Then Christian and Michael and Gary and Morgan and Liam and Cillian started living in it. Christian bit off a big chunk of Bruce Wayne’s life and made it utterly compelling. He took us into a pop icon’s mind and never let us notice for an instant the fanciful nature of Bruce’s methods.

I never thought we’d do a second—how many good sequels are there? Why roll those dice? But once I knew where it would take Bruce, and when I started to see glimpses of the antagonist, it became essential. We re-assembled the team and went back to Gotham. It had changed in three years. Bigger. More real. More modern. And a new force of chaos was coming to the fore. The ultimate scary clown, as brought to terrifying life by Heath. We’d held nothing back, but there were things we hadn’t been able to do the first time out—a Batsuit with a flexible neck, shooting on Imax. And things we’d chickened out on—destroying the Batmobile, burning up the villain’s blood money to show a complete disregard for conventional motivation. We took the supposed security of a sequel as license to throw caution to the wind and headed for the darkest corners of Gotham.

I never thought we’d do a third—are there any great second sequels? But I kept wondering about the end of Bruce’s journey, and once David and I discovered it, I had to see it for myself. We had come back to what we had barely dared whisper about in those first days in my garage. We had been making a trilogy. I called everyone back together for another tour of Gotham. Four years later, it was still there. It even seemed a little cleaner, a little more polished. Wayne Manor had been rebuilt. Familiar faces were back—a little older, a little wiser . . . but not all was as it seemed.

Gotham was rotting away at its foundations. A new evil bubbling up from beneath. Bruce had thought Batman was not needed anymore, but Bruce was wrong, just as I had been wrong. The Batman had to come back. I suppose he always will.

Michael, Morgan, Gary, Cillian, Liam, Heath, Christian . . . Bale. Names that have come to mean so much to me. My time in Gotham, looking after one of the greatest and most enduring figures in pop culture, has been the most challenging and rewarding experience a filmmaker could hope for. I will miss the Batman. I like to think that he’ll miss me, but he’s never been particularly sentimental.

I don't know about Batman since you are correct about Batman not really being too sentimental, but we the fans will certainly miss you Christopher Nolan :up:

Thanks Chris for everything you've done for Batman. You made him cool again. You gave us a trilogy that we will treasure forever. I can't wait to get Rises on Blu-Ray and enjoy it all over again. As a lifelong Batman fan, I couldn't be happier with what you've given us. Thanks to all the cast and crew for reviving Batman on the big screen. Goodbye Chris. We will miss you.

Thank you Chris Nolan for bringing back Batman from the dead Goodbye from Gotham. I thank the cast and crew for making the best trilorgy.

What a gracious, eloquent farewell from Christopher Nolan. Batman Begins reignited not just my love of Batman, but my love of comics, arguably setting me onto the path of writing comics that I'm currently headed down. The Dark Knight is my favourite movie, the Batman film I've always wanted. And The Dark Knight Rises caps it: breaking the superhero threequel curse and giving us a definitive film trilogy for this generation.

Christopher Nolan - and all the others involved in this series - have given so much to Batman and his fans. And, of course, Batman has given plenty to Nolan too, the success of those movies giving him essentially carte blanche to do whatever he wants and operate on whatever scale he wants in future films going forward. It's been a mutually beneficial relationship, and the real winners have been us, the fans. Yes, there'll be more Batman movies - hopefully, more great Batman movies - but for me, Nolan's trilogy will always be MY Batman movies.

Thank you, Christopher Nolan.

It's really pretty amazing... the journey Batman has taken on film. When Schumacher ran the series into the ground, Batman was considered the anthrax of superheroes for a while. Whenever anyone discussed a potential Batman movie again, you'd hear a lot of nipple and codpiece jokes. And rightfully so... Schumacher RUINED Batman and WB just went ahead and LET him.

But then they decided to give it another shot and probably some people were skeptical because even those who had seen Memento weren't totally sure what kind of Batman movie Christopher Nolan would give us. But once he started casting the roles and he gave some interviews on it, I think a lot of us were like, "Yeah. This is him. This is the right guy."

And Batman Begins proved that. While it might forever live in the shadow of The Dark Knight, I don't think we should downplay just how much of a milestone that film was, because it was the first Batman film EVER that truly explored Bruce Wayne and Batman as a character. Burton tried a little bit in Batman '89, but he clearly was more interested in the Joker and pandering to Nicholson's ego (and don't give me that crap about how he was "brilliantly decentralizing the hero").

Then of course came TDK and what an amazing film it was. Anyone who wasn't on board before that one certainly was afterward. And now TDKR is an amazing conclusion and possibly (at least to some of us) the best film in the series.

And now, here we are, in the golden age of comic book movies. And while I loved The Avengers, Captain America, X-Men: First Class and plenty of other films in the genre... there's really only one series that reigns supreme, and that's Batman. We can criticize DC and WB all we want for their missteps over the years, but we should also be happy that they let Nolan do his thing and create the greatest superhero trilogy of all time.

You'll be missed, Mr. Nolan. Can't wait to see what you do next.
Amen, man.

And I agree that Marvel's films opened the doorways for successful superhero movies every Summer it's Nolan's Batman that really showed that comicbook movies don't all have to be light and fluffy.

Don't know if it would ever happen, but it'd also be cool if Nolan shared his thoughts on specific Batman comics/graphic novels that he and his writers drew from, what he liked about them, what he wanted to do differently, etc.

It's really pretty amazing... the journey Batman has taken on film. When Schumacher ran the series into the ground, Batman was considered the anthrax of superheroes for a while. Whenever anyone discussed a potential Batman movie again, you'd hear a lot of nipple and codpiece jokes. And rightfully so... Schumacher RUINED Batman and WB just went ahead and LET him.

But then they decided to give it another shot and probably some people were skeptical because even those who had seen Memento weren't totally sure what kind of Batman movie Christopher Nolan would give us. But once he started casting the roles and he gave some interviews on it, I think a lot of us were like, "Yeah. This is him. This is the right guy."

And Batman Begins proved that. While it might forever live in the shadow of The Dark Knight, I don't think we should downplay just how much of a milestone that film was, because it was the first Batman film EVER that truly explored Bruce Wayne and Batman as a character. Burton tried a little bit in Batman '89, but he clearly was more interested in the Joker and pandering to Nicholson's ego (and don't give me that crap about how he was "brilliantly decentralizing the hero").

Then of course came TDK and what an amazing film it was. Anyone who wasn't on board before that one certainly was afterward. And now TDKR is an amazing conclusion and possibly (at least to some of us) the best film in the series.

And now, here we are, in the golden age of comic book movies. And while I loved The Avengers, Captain America, X-Men: First Class and plenty of other films in the genre... there's really only one series that reigns supreme, and that's Batman. We can criticize DC and WB all we want for their missteps over the years, but we should also be happy that they let Nolan do his thing and create the greatest superhero trilogy of all time.

You'll be missed, Mr. Nolan. Can't wait to see what you do next.

You Sir Hit The Nail On The Head

That was very touching. Thank you, Chris Nolan, for what you've given the Batfans of the world.

Well put. Well put indeed. Greatest superhero trilogy ever and only the LOTR trilogy can be in discussion as one of the best movie trilogies ever!

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"