Cinematography

Invader Joker

Superhero
Reaction score
After seeing that Joker trailer I realized how important cinematography truly is and how much I wish this movie to have a great and memorable sense of cinematography, so, which cinematographer would you like Reeves to hire, what influences would you like it to have, and how would you like the look, colors, etc of the film to be?

My default is Roger Deakins lol.

John Mathieson's work on Hannibal (2001) is always something I wanted to see in a Batman film. I see he also shot Logan. Dark yet clear and gorgeous. I don't need whacky camera angles, so a humble eye that just knows how to crop a lone figure works better for me. Wide aspect ratio too.

How about Michael Seresin? He's worked with Matt Reeves before and did some stunning work on Dawn of the Planet of the Apes and especially War for the Planet of the Apes.

I have a feeling the cinematographer is gonna be one of these 4:
-Roger Deakins (Blade Runner 2049, No Country for Old Men)
-Michael Seresin (Rise and War of the Planet of the Apes)
-Greig Faser (Let Me In, Vice, Zero Dark Thirty, Oscar Winner because of Lion.)
-Lawrence Sher (Joker)

Pawel Pogorzelski (Hereditary)
Jarin Blaschke (The Witch)
Thomas Townend (You Were Never Really Here).

How about Michael Seresin? He's worked with Matt Reeves before and did some stunning work on Dawn of the Planet of the Apes and especially War for the Planet of the Apes.

Yeah, it’s probably a done deal. Was it ever confirmed that they wanted this to be more outright and classically noir-ish than previous franchise entries? I’ve half joked about a black and white Batman movie before...

Yeah, it’s probably a done deal. Was it ever confirmed that they wanted this to be more outright and classically noir-ish than previous franchise entries? I’ve half joked about a black and white Batman movie before...
Everytime Reeves talks about the movie he mentions the word noir so yeah

I doubt they will go black and white, but something like Godfather cinematography with deep blacks and warm palette - maybe. Even though it was done in Batman Begins.

If they go for old-fashioned looking, I want the film to look similarly to Once Upon a Time in America:

onceuponatimeinamerica16.jpg

Once%2BUpon%2Ba%2BTime%2Bin%2BAmerica%2B26.jpg

Once+Upon+a+Time+in+America+15.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Once-Upon-a-Time-in-America-301.jpg

Something sweeping and grand. Utilize space and scale of sets, filming locations. But chances of it happening are slim to none. Movies have changed. They barely do this kind of stuff anymore. Only Nolan comes to mind.

That last street wide shot from Once Upon Time in America is one of my favourite shots of all time.

I kinda want Reeves to play with visuals when it comes to representing the duality of Bruce's life. There's a lot of interesting stuff you can do with the contrast of the billionaire and glamurous life Bruce Wayne has to be upon during the day vs the dark, miserable and poor environments Batman has to step upon during the night.

Nolan didn't really did anything as... visually powerful to represent that and Burton made everything seem equally miserable

Bashing two guys who made the most visually impressive CBMs?

Bashing two guys who made the most visually impressive CBMs?
Oh Im not bashing them at all, Im just talking about things Matt Reeves could do visually that they didn't do, missed opportunities, thats all. I'm still very fond of their products.

That Joker trailer really does just look a ****-ton better than any of the DCEU or MCU movies, seriously.

Getting really sick of that glossy CG-sheen both companies have to everything now, amazing what difference something looking like an actual movie can make. The Singer-verse X-Men stuff, for all their faults, look like honest-to-god movies (mostly the earlier stuff, admittedly), Logan looked like a movie. The Nolan stuff looks like a movie. This looks like a movie.

Hopefully they're not averse to just not tying Reeves too closely to the wider asthetic of all the other stuff, just let him do something more "him". Yeah, this is different to the Joker flick in that it's not an "elseworlds" thing, but hope they can still find it in themselves to let him branch out a bit from the other stuff. Like, Wonder Woman's a great looking flick, but it's still pretty much in the "house style" established with the Snyder stuff. The MCU's really guilty of that too, pretty much everything now (Ragnarok aside I guess) looks like some general riff/twist on a Russos movie, similar color grading and stuff. That didn't seem to be the case with Phase 1 where everything had a bit more of each director's trademark vibes.

Jeff Cronenweth

What's wrong with Michael Seresin?

Roger Deakins is my top choice, but I'm sure there's many other great choices too

in my opinion i think they should use good cameras to film the movie

That's a bold choice, but I could get behind it.

Please shoot it on film. A Batman movie should never be shot digitally.

That Joker trailer really does just look a ****-ton better than any of the DCEU or MCU movies, seriously.

Getting really sick of that glossy CG-sheen both companies have to everything now, amazing what difference something looking like an actual movie can make. The Singer-verse X-Men stuff, for all their faults, look like honest-to-god movies (mostly the earlier stuff, admittedly), Logan looked like a movie. The Nolan stuff looks like a movie. This looks like a movie.

Hopefully they're not averse to just not tying Reeves too closely to the wider asthetic of all the other stuff, just let him do something more "him". Yeah, this is different to the Joker flick in that it's not an "elseworlds" thing, but hope they can still find it in themselves to let him branch out a bit from the other stuff. Like, Wonder Woman's a great looking flick, but it's still pretty much in the "house style" established with the Snyder stuff. The MCU's really guilty of that too, pretty much everything now (Ragnarok aside I guess) looks like some general riff/twist on a Russos movie, similar color grading and stuff. That didn't seem to be the case with Phase 1 where everything had a bit more of each director's trademark vibes.
All of this!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"