Clint Eastwood's Captain Sully

Honestly, I feel like the meat of it could be done in like 20 mins..do we really need to see family issues, etc, that lead up to it?

They basically stretched it out like Flight. The drama leading up to and the aftermath is the filler. I did hear that the CG regarding the actual crash scene is very well done.

I'm more interested in the character legal drama and analysis of it than the actual crash spectacle itself.

They basically stretched it out like Flight. The drama leading up to and the aftermath is the filler. I did hear that the CG regarding the actual crash scene is very well done.

While the plane crash in Flight was exhilarating, the character stuff and the main character's arc was the meat of that story. I wouldnt call that filler. Films are much more than a singular action set piece. Same with Sully. An action set piece is worthless if you dont care about the main characters that are involved.

The drama and tension in the film felt very forced. I thought Tom Hanks was good in the film, but he never really disappeared into the role as Sully. It felt like Tom Hanks playing Tom hanks.

It doesn't have a real ending either. It's weird because the movie already felt heavily padded at about 96 minutes and yet it seems to be missing an actual ending.

A lot of it does feel like a stripped down version of the 2012 Flight, except the pilot is a standup guy and not a degenerate drunk and drug addict. And the NTSB are the dastardly, demonic evil antagonists.

Marvolo, exactly.

Vile, what would you rate Flight out of 10 and what would you rate Sully out of 10 (on their own terms, regardless of which came out first)?

Flight I consider about a 7.5 to 8 out of 10. Sully was closer to a six or 6.5 out of 10 for me.

The drama and tension in the film felt very forced. I thought Tom Hanks was good in the film, but he never really disappeared into the role as Sully. It felt like Tom Hanks playing Tom hanks.

It doesn't have a real ending either. It's weird because the movie already felt heavily padded at about 96 minutes and yet it seems to be missing an actual ending.

A lot of it does feel like a stripped down version of the 2012 Flight, except the pilot is a standup guy and not a degenerate drunk and drug addict. And the NTSB are the dastardly, demonic evil antagonists.

This is what I was fearing the most,still hope to see it

Well it's got good reviews and i s certified fresh on RT at 83%. If you're into RT scores.

The weekend estimates are climbing for Sully. After being pegged for a $25M+ bow, Sully is outperforming estimates for $30M+.

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/box-office-sully-when-the-bough-breaks-wild-life-1201856193/

I think the short running time also helps, in addition to the reviews. I think it could hit $40M if business is more robust tomorrow and Sunday.

would be Eastwood's biggest opening weekend film yet, I dont think it does that much I suspect around 27-31Mil

I don't expect it to wildly overperform like Eastwood's previous film, American Sniper, did back in January 2015.

Still, a $30M+ opening is good for potential Oscar bait. The reviews will keep it afloat for a while and get it to a possible $90M-$110M cume.

Saw it yesterday, good movie. Saying Tom hanks is playing Tom hanks is a lazy and simply a poor excuse of a critique

Heading for 35 mil and I bet Sunday doesn't fall as much as some are expecting because the target demo isn't going to care as much about the NFL

Tom Hanks in the past few years has not been given enough ****ing credit for his performances. Bridge of Spies and Captain Phillips man. Holy ****. He's too good at being understated. Hence why he never got nominated for Best Actor Oscars.

Great movie 8/10. I'd say it's better than 'Flight' in that the fact that it was true intrigued me more in what was going on in it.

Box Office Mojo
@boxofficemojo

'@SullyMovie's $4.58m Tues was the largest Tues in Sept ever by $953,499 over The Equalizer

I saw it today and liked it too. I'd give it 8/10.

I saw this last night and enjoyed it quite a bit, actually. Hanks is great and Eastwood is on point. Eckhart was really good, too. 8/10, tempted to give it an 8.5, but it is a bit contrived and sentimental at times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"