Clint Eastwood directing "The 15:17 To Paris"

Webfoot Hero

West Coaster
Reaction score
Clint Eastwood is directing another biopic, this time about the 3 Americans who stopped a train attack in Europe in 2015. It's based off the book of the same name. Instead of getting actors to portray the guys, he's going to have them play themselves, which is kind of a risky move for a director of his stature.

eastwood.png

In an unconventional move, Clint Eastwood has tapped Anthony Sadler, Alek Skarlatos, and Spencer Stone to play themselves in his next movie, “The 15:17 to Paris.” The film will tell the story of the three Americans who stopped a terrorist on a train bound for Paris.

Jenna Fischer, Judy Greer, and Ray Corasani will also join the real-life heroes in the film. Paul-Mikel Williams, Max Ivutin, Bryce Gheisa, Cole Eichenberger, and William Jennings, who will play younger versions of the Sadler, Skarlatos and Stone.

The casting move is similar to Eastwood’s “Gran Torino,” which featured an almost unknown cast outside of Eastwood, who also starred in the movie.

Following the news that this would be his follow-up to the box office hit “Sully,” Eastwood began a wide-ranging search for the actors who would portray the three Americans. It seemed the studio and Eastwood had their choices but at the eleventh hour have decided to have Sadler, Skarlatos and Stone portray themselves.

Sources say that, while the three will have good sized roles, the film is expected to begin during their childhood and show their friendship leading up to the moment that changed their lives. That means the roles will not be full-on leads.

The film is based on the book of the same name by Sadler, Skarlatos, Stone and Jeffrey E. Stern and Bruce Berman to exec produce. Dorothy Blyskal will write the script.

Eastwood will produce with Tim Moore, Kristina Rivera and Jessica Meier. Warner Bros. will distribute, as will Village Roadshow Pictures (who will also co-finance) in select territories.

The film falls in line with Eastwood’s recent interest in real-life heroes following “American Sniper” and “Sully,” both of which were two of his biggest box office hits.

Eastwood has met with actors for the past month since deciding the film would be his follow-up to “Sully.” Before landing on “The 15:17 to Paris,” Eastwood was weighing a handful of movies including “Impossible Odds,” the story of humanitarian worker Jessica Buchanan, who was kidnapped while working in Somalia and later rescued by a group of Navy Seals.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/c...l-life-soliders-the-1517-to-paris-1202454678/

Eastwood just directing higher budget TV movies at this point.

Why? Because he is focusing on true stories?

He probably cast them because he wants it to feel real.
We shall see if he made the right move.

Anytime Clint does a movie lately, I feel like Larry David being offered a house tour by Susie. You know what I mean? I get it, it's great, but y'know...

Why? Because he is focusing on true stories?

He probably cast them because he wants it to feel real.
We shall see if he made the right move.
It will be the opposite. Are they actors? Judging the trailer, it looks like some bad acting and some cheesy patriotic Hollywood movie coming from a director who should have retired years ago. All because Clint thinks it's cool to have real people play their "characters". Scorsese is the only "old man" director who knows what he's doing at this point.

Looks like a Lifetime movie. Also having the real people who are not actors play themselves just seems like a dumb gimmick. Just because they’re playing themselves doesn’t mean they can act it out convincingly in a movie.

I actually quite like that the real guys are playing themselves. I think it can work. Granted, Eastwood isn't a Paul Greengrass when it comes to getting strong performances from just about anyone -- but I'm not turned off by the idea at all.

I still don't like the very one-noted patriotism though, which is pretty much a defining characteristic of Eastwood's films by this point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"