Warner Bros. sets Clint Eastwood’s Cry Macho for October release

Hunter Rider

Ronin
Staff member
Reaction score
Warner Bros. Sets Clint Eastwood's Cry Macho for October Release

After nearly 40 years of various studios and the filmmaker attempting to get an adaptation of the neo-Western drama off the ground, Clint Eastwood’s Cry Macho is finally gearing up to come to audiences as Warner Bros. has set the film for an October 22 release.

Based on N. Richard Nash’s novel fo the same name, the film stars Eastwood as a one-time rodeo star and washed up horse breeder who, in 1978, takes a job from an ex-boss to bring the man’s young son home and away from his alcoholic mom. Crossing rural Mexico on their back way to Texas, the unlikely pair faces an unexpectedly challenging journey, during which the world-weary horseman may find his own sense of redemption through teaching the boy what it means to be a good man.

Eastwood directed the film on a screenplay by Nash and Nick Schenk, whom the Oscar-winning filmmaker previously worked with on his 2008 hit Gran Torino and his generally well-received 2018 crime drama The Mule, while also producing alongside Albert S. Ruddy, Tim Moore and Jessica Meier.

Rodeo star and washed up horse breeder? So it's pretty much Bronco Billy 40 years later?

91 directing AND starring! Who else can say that?

Now I know why Quentin wants to retire around 60...

I don’t know about this movie, but The Mule already makes that statement incorrect.

I just saw this. It made me cry. I hope Clint lives forever, but this would be the perfect swan song if… you know.

Also: Sully, The Mule and Richard Jewell are all great. Late era Eastwood will be properly re-evaluated in time. It took Unforgiven for critics to go back and acknowledge the craftsmanship behind Josey Wales and High Plains Drifter. He’s never been able to fully shed the “leading man happens to be directing” image for a lot of people, but he’s been one of the most relevant American filmmakers of the last 50 years. Arguably Scorsese and Spielberg are the only two filmmakers who have stayed relevant as long.

I liked the trailer, Clint is looking ancient but this looks like a classic role for him.

He does look super old, the cgi effects to de age here and there like around the eyes threw me off... and that punch knocking that dude over was OTT for me.. however, it looks a cosy movie...

There's something about Eastwood. I think he could play Harry Callahan at age 91 and still look credible and badass as all hell. Meanwhile I'm looking at set photos of Harrison playing Indiana and somehow I'm struggling to buy it. And that ain't a knock on Harrison Ford so much as it is praise for Eastwood. I hope Harrison pulls it off.

I just saw this. It made me cry. I hope Clint lives forever, but this would be the perfect swan song if… you know.

Also: Sully, The Mule and Richard Jewell are all great. Late era Eastwood will be properly re-evaluated in time. It took Unforgiven for critics to go back and acknowledge the craftsmanship behind Josey Wales and High Plains Drifter. He’s never been able to fully shed the “leading man happens to be directing” image for a lot of people, but he’s been one of the most relevant American filmmakers of the last 50 years. Arguably Scorsese and Spielberg are the only two filmmakers who have stayed relevant as long.

I just watched Changeling and I gotta say, I think we've taken Eastwood as a director for granted for the past ten to twelve years. His economic and simplistic direction from all aspects is something that is so underrated and isn't fully appreciated. Sure there are times where maybe he could have blocked a scene better, but I think that misses the point of his approach which is overlooked. Also his ability to shift to different subject matter, the way he writes his own music. I know some of his movies aren't on the level of a Million Dollar Baby or Mystic River or Unforgiven, but that doesn't mean there isn't a lot of merit to it.

It's unfortunate because if he doesn't come out with another Million Dollar Baby type of film that takes the awards season by storm, his work probably won't be reevaluated until he dies.

Truly Amazing: Al Ruddy Delivers ‘Cry Macho’ After All These Years – Deadline

It’s certainly amazing to see Al Ruddy, at the age of 91, credited as a producer of Cry Macho, which is set for release by Warner Bros. and HBO Max on Sept. 17–and not just because the movie is directed by and stars Clint Eastwood, who is also 91. To put things in perspective, Ruddy has been trying to get the picture made since I was an struggling doctoral student of Modern European History, which would be 46 years ago, give or take. Once, the film seems to have started, with Roy Scheider, in Mexico. (That would be somewhere among iterations that involved Burt Lancaster and Pierce Brosnan.) But something happened, and the plug got pulled. By then, Eastwood had already been in and out of the project. He put it aside to do The Dead Pool, which was released in 1988–a long time ago, when cop movies were still popular.

In 2003, during my second tour as a reporter for the Los Angeles Times, I joined colleague Claudia Eller in writing about Ruddy’s plan to cast his close friend Arnold Schwarzenegger in the Cry Macho lead. He was to have played a somewhat battered horse breeder and ex-rodeo star who finds redemption on a mission to retrieve another man’s son from South of the Border. Having put aside politics—or so our story said—Schwarzenegger was looking for role that would highlight his softer side. That was printed on July 31. On August 7, Schwarzenegger announced his candidacy in that year’s California recall election. By Nov. 17, he was governor.

This was bad. A real disappointment from Eastwood. I don't know if things were accommodated because of COVID or because of Eastwood's age, but the script was just plain bad. I even got George Lucas vibes from the blocking. Lots of scenes beginning with people sitting down, then ending with them getting up and leaving.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"