Clive Barker

:up: I still need to order. I've been suffering from car issues draining my funds.

http://www.realclivebarker.com/product/the-scarlet-gospels-us-and-uk-editions-hardcover/

Pinhead. Harry D’Amour. The final Hellraiser story.

Clive’s health prevents him from doing a signing tour for this book, so for a limited time we are offering the option of having your copy signed by Clive for a $35 surcharge. (Please note that unfortunately we cannot offer an option for personalization.)

As a special consideration, we have also made arrangements with UK edition cover artist David Mack to sign and do a sketch of Pinhead for an additional $75.

All copies of The Scarlet Gospels purchased from RealCliveBarker.com come with:

An exclusive double-sided glossy postcard featuring the artworks of Clive Barker: his portrait of the Hell Priest known as Pinhead, and a canvas depicting a field of corpses, used as the back cover art for the US edition.
An exclusive satin Catechismal bookmark featuring a profile of Pinhead drawn by UK edition cover artist David Mack, with a descriptive verse from the novel.

Please note that the book release is schedule for May 19th, 2015, and signed books will ship from Los Angeles no earlier than June 2015.

Supposedly, there are copies floating about in Waterstones stores across the U.K with red-edged pages. From what I've been reading, after seeing a U.S copy without red-edged pages, there are only 1,000 prints of this edition.

I guess I was lucky to get one, but I wouldn't have even known it was a limited run without seeing another copy without and looking it up. So anyone else in the U.K, it might be worth having a look in Waterstones and nabbing one.

I'll start it tomorrow at work. I can't believe my self control, but work is uninterrupted by my little person.

I'll start it tomorrow at work. I can't believe my self control, but work is uninterrupted by my little person.

I hope you enjoy it. I have to say I have, although I am having some difficulty imaging some of the places mentioned in the book. That's probably my fault, though. I'm finding myself going back and re-reading a couple of chapters before something finally clicks, and when it does I'm fine. But this last chapter - maybe my lack of imagination - I've found difficulty picturing exactly what the place is meant to look/be like.

But overall I've been enjoying myself with it. Like I said, for everything else, I end up re-reading a chapter or two and getting a better grasp. I think the fact I've been reading it in places where I'm busy - thus having to put the book down mid-chapter and losing my flow - has been the cause of that. Lack of imagination, sadly - on my part, not Barker's - reading this particular book also isn't helping. But I have been incredibly tired of late too, which probably is not helping.

I'll be curious to know how you go on with that. About Chapter 6 of Book 2. :loco: Drove me a little mad trying to picture it all.

I'm enjoying the book. I do understand where you could get a bit confused, i found myself going back and rereading a few times to grasp what was going on. I might just push through with out going back. My mind wanders a lot, happens when I'm reading too.

I don't know if you're on Good Reads. I briefly scanned a few reviews when I went to post my current read. One stuck out that he felt like he was reading a book written by someone too hard to be Barker. I hate to say I almost feel that way too. :(

I'm enjoying the book. I do understand where you could get a bit confused, i found myself going back and rereading a few times to grasp what was going on. I might just push through with out going back. My mind wanders a lot, happens when I'm reading too.

I don't know if you're on Good Reads. I briefly scanned a few reviews when I went to post my current read. One stuck out that he felt like he was reading a book written by someone too hard to be Barker. I hate to say I almost feel that way too. :(

Yeah, that's where I've been with it. But it's an odd one. Most books I find it a chore to go back and re-read a chapter, but I've enjoyed going back with this one. I would like to do that, just continue forward without going back, but I find once I hit a certain point, I can go back and read the chapters again with a clarity I didn't have when I did start it.

I saw those reviews as well. I don't know how I feel, honestly. I've found his style has just changed so often across various books, that I've never been able to pin down exactly what his style should be like. I don't find Weaveworld to be anything like The Thief of Always or Hellbound Heart, and neither of them felt like Coldheart Canyon, or Mister B. Gone - which I have to say I am also enjoying, now I've gotten into it - so ultimately I'm taking it as another style he had moved to.

My only issue, if anything, is that I'm finding myself not as keen on the details of the Cenobites. I liked their mystery, and in a way it may well be taking some of that mystery away. I love the image of Hell from Hellraiser II, as well.

But I get what you mean, anyway. And admittedly, I appreciate that review rather than the - "I didn't know what the book was about, too gory! One star!" - which just seemed.. Pointless. Haha, I also loved one review - "I never liked Clive Barker. I thought I'd try this one. I didn't like it either. One star". :( Weird.

Overall, I'm taking it for what it is, enjoying it and - if need be - going back and re-reading, and getting a better grasp. I think there is just so much to take in, and it may require a second read. Funny enough, this may be the first book in my life I start over once finished. I rarely, if ever, read a book twice and even then it takes me several years before I do go back. I wonder if this is one that may improve from one read to the next, you know? One to settle in, a second to just enjoy more.

Last edited:
I'm wanting to pick up Scarlett Gospels. Just wondering. Should I bother with the previous Harry D'amour books or are then non-essential? I've read Hellbound Heart years ago, so I've at least got that part covered.

I never read them. I have the Books of Blood, but I'll get to them after Scarlet Gospels. I have read Hellbound Heart though, but I'd go as far as saying even that isn't necessary. Outside of Harry, who I wouldn't have known was from another book unless I had read it prior, I don't find it fits with Hellbound Heart at all, other than the odd thing here and there. I feel like you could take it and put it in its own bubble, and Scarlet Gospels in another.

I'd say it's up to you if you want tor read other stories first. I haven't, and it isn't spoiling anything. If it is, I'm oblivious to it anyway.

I saw those reviews as well. I don't know how I feel, honestly. I've found his style has just changed so often across various books, that I've never been able to pin down exactly what his style should be like. I don't find Weaveworld to be anything like The Thief of Always or Hellbound Heart, and neither of them felt like Coldheart Canyon, or Mister B. Gone - which I have to say I am also enjoying, now I've gotten into it - so ultimately I'm taking it as another style he had moved to.

Wait until you read Chiliad: A Meditation, that is extremely different, almost poetic. It gave me chills.
I thought Mister B. Gone was a comedy, it really confused me. That's the last book tour I saw Clive in NYC. He didn't look well, I know that If I ever want to see him again I'll have travel to the west coast.

I never read them. I have the Books of Blood, but I'll get to them after Scarlet Gospels. I have read Hellbound Heart though, but I'd go as far as saying even that isn't necessary. Outside of Harry, who I wouldn't have known was from another book unless I had read it prior, I don't find it fits with Hellbound Heart at all, other than the odd thing here and there. I feel like you could take it and put it in its own bubble, and Scarlet Gospels in another.

I'd say it's up to you if you want tor read other stories first. I haven't, and it isn't spoiling anything. If it is, I'm oblivious to it anyway.

Same, no need to read just dig right into the Gospels.

Wait until you read Chiliad: A Meditation, that is extremely different, almost poetic. It gave me chills.
I thought Mister B. Gone was a comedy, it really confused me. That's the last book tour I saw Clive in NYC. He didn't look well, I know that If I ever want to see him again I'll have travel to the west coast.

Same, no need to read just dig right into the Gospels.

I looked that one up, and I'll have to find a copy eventually. I stopped reading his books a long time ago, for some reason. I had heard about Scarlet Gospels many years ago, then I stopped reading about his releases, only to be reminded by this thread. It's only after I found out more did I find out it was the same book he spoke about years ago.

I don't know what to think of Mister B. Gone. I like it, I am enjoying it. I haven't felt any comedy coming off it just yet, though. Although, it can take a lot to get me laughing, especially from a book, you know? So I don't find much of it funny, but it is keeping me interested. You just need to get past a rough start to get to the meat of it.

That sucks to hear. Fingers crossed he is feeling better now, and we might get something else new from him in the future. I have no issue with Scarlet Gospels outside of being a little confused every now and then - and I didn't have the expectations other have had - but it would be interesting to see an entirely new, one off story again.

Anyway, today I finally get to read more. So I'm looking forward to it. I have a feeling this book is going to be one you either love or hate, and if you do love it, you'll need a few reads to fully get to grips with it. That's my view at least. I like it, and I'll be interested to go through again.

It keeps me wanting to read more, which is a good thing.

I have a very dark sense of humor.

Has anyone seen Clive Barker's The Plague? I just watched it a couple of nights ago, it was actually pretty creepy for a direct to VHS movie.

I have a very dark sense of humor.

Has anyone seen Clive Barker's The Plague? I just watched it a couple of nights ago, it was actually pretty creepy for a direct to VHS movie.

:csad: I'm very picky with horror lately. I'm struggling to find one I'd be interested in watching. When I do finally find one I might actually want to see, they are always already off to a bad start when the opening line of the movie is - "Ok, tell us your name!" - and it's all being filmed by someone we never see. Cannot stand these filmed by the actor/voice of the actor movies.

I might have a look at it though at some point.

How're you finding Scarlet Gospels? Get into it more as you went or? I've been on and off. I just finished Chapter 9 of Book Two. It wasn't a bad chapter, though one of two lines confused me. I might do a re-read of it, because I am tired at the moment, so my concentration was not in it at all. If I had one complaint, it's that Clive Barker really likes his "motes of light". It's in Mister B. Gone, it was in Weaveworld and now Scarlet Gospels. And I always have a difficult time picturing it haha. I remember in Weaveworld, it was during the Chapter where Cal and do Bono went to the Hill? I forget the name. But that was one of about five or eight Chapters I did not like. Lack of imagination from me, and I found they dragged too.

Last edited:
I don't go out to see many movies much no matter the genre.

I'm not far into it, but it seems to have slowed done a bit. It came out of the gates full speed and now it's slowed down and my mind is wandering.

I don't go out to see many movies much no matter the genre.

I'm not far into it, but it seems to have slowed done a bit. It came out of the gates full speed and now it's slowed down and my mind is wandering.

Yeah, it does that. It had an amazing start, with the Prologue and - for me personally - the chapters in New Orleans, but it does slow a bit after that. I have to admit though, I'm starting to get into it now. I'm finding once I hit that flow, I'm fine. If I'm disturbed, and lose it, I get lost. Like what you said, mind wandering. More so when people are about. But I'm looking forward to the next few chapters now. It looks to be getting interesting.

Okay, so apparently Clive will be at SDCC and has an announcement to make in regards to something called "The Clive Barker Society". He also says to be on the mailing list at --->http://www.realclivebarker.com/ So now this has triggered my OCD with a mission to find someone that will be on the scene for the big reveal.

On twitter and facebook_--> Come visit Team Clive at the Century Guild booth at San Diego Comic Con! #2845, right in the center of the show- look for the Pinhead banner!

Also, this happen---> https://www.clivebarkersociety.com/

So I finally finished Scarlet Gospels.

I have very mixed feelings toward it. When it wanted to be a good book, it was very, very good. But there were so many pointless Chapters that had no purpose being left in the story and it made me wonder what on Earth was actually cut from the book in the first place to make it a far shorter story.

As far as I'm concerned, taking it to Hell and focusing so much on Pinhead was a mistake. The story was building up so well from the Prologue, and the first few Chapters of Harry's investigation were, to me, brilliant. Admittedly some of the descriptions then were a little bit confusing, as in I could never paint the picture of the rooms he was exploring because it felt like they were constantly changing size and shape to fit different aspects of the action. I enjoyed it though, and I wished he had stuck to that storyline more.

Once the story takes its trip to Hell, it just starts to go downhill. The action is practically non-existent, it's a slow meander through a place that frankly the descriptions made sound bland and unexciting and it took any mystery away from the Cenobites and their order, and from Hell itself. There were a few Chapters late on that did draw me back in, but once again it relied too much on very dull action sequences that turned into nothing more than sword fights, and over reliance on describing everything as motes or luminescent, dark, spectral etc. too much repetition for my liking.

It had the start of a good horror novel. I got goosebumps when we first encounter the Lament Configuration, and the following scenes drew me in. The focus should have been on Harry and battling demonic presences on Earth, however, with the occasional, terrifying glimpse of Pinhead and other Cenobites and their plan gradually opening up as Harry's story progresses. To take away the unknown, removing the mystery that shrouded the Cenobites and their Hell/World and turning them into a very mundane group of comical - because I found them comical - villains, ruined them a bit.

But at the same time, I get the feeling Clive Barker was fed up. I think he was getting fed up of Pinhead, fed up of Hellraiser, perhaps? Fed up of the obsession on that one character. I could be wrong, but maybe that's why, after all he has been through writing this book, it's been a case of get it out and get it off his shoulders once and for all. Which is a shame. It could have been an amazing book. Instead it's one of his more average, but readable novels that can still capture you every now and then, but is clearly not a labour of love but rather obligation.

I finally finished, I think it's been about 2-3 weeks now. So I avoided your review until now. I think your take on it really shadows my own. I was really lost when things got slow. I'll have to read it again in hopes to better grasp what was going on. I thought the ending was a bit sweet and endearing.

I finally finished, I think it's been about 2-3 weeks now. So I avoided your review until now. I think your take on it really shadows my own. I was really lost when things got slow. I'll have to read it again in hopes to better grasp what was going on. I thought the ending was a bit sweet and endearing.

i think thats the magic of CB tho. you have to re-read his stuff since it does get better like a fine wine :ilv: .
that being said, besides CABAL i actually own a copy of ABARAT book 2 and read book 1 afterwards which didnt make a difference to my brain cus they were both great reads .:woot: and my brain was like YAAAAAAAY abarat again :mnm:

i had found a copy of this at a goodwill thrift store IN THE KIDS SECTION strangely enough so im guessing Harvey was trying to save the world yet again trying to prevent Mr.Hood from returning :woot:.

ouAEwDGwi4qnMFM3VtiNiFCbjcVDom1Ej8ik8VSXfmf4cVLW1L!3W4iQ1JoESjjt7QjbFnIZS3bEctSIf3YQf!K1uZYRuhGFyzpPrq8vycSKwc8UWbVG8cJ8QrmmTlhj

Great find.
I really need to read Cabal again, and I look forward to reading Thief of Always to my little one.

I still haven't managed to start reading it again, yet. I decided to move on to.. Not lighter stuff, but I was recommended Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere, and I followed that with Anansi Boys, and now I'm onto Stardust. I think I'd sooner read Imajica before trying Scarlett Gospels again.

I think overall, it was so easy to get lost and wonder what the Hell was going on, but it just wasn't terribly interesting at times, either. I think it lost me when it went to Hell. Up until then, my mind expected one story - Harry and Pinhead going head to head on Earth and splitting into Hell, with some great backstory to boot. :( It never happened, though. What did happen felt odd, overall.

But I agree, the ending was very bittersweet. I'm glad, too, he didn't decide to magically erase certain events to make it a massively happy ending.

i think thats the magic of CB tho. you have to re-read his stuff since it does get better like a fine wine :ilv: .

I don't know. I mean, Hellbound Heart, Thief of Always, Weaveworld and Coldheart Canyon never gave me the same issues. I think in the process of editing, Scarlett Gospels became hampered with rewrites and changes that didn't connect as well with what came before. It has the makings of a great book, but it needed to be more ambitious and bigger. But I will read it again, and hopefully enjoy it more.

Man, I'd love that copy of Thief of Always for the cover alone. I like my copy, but I love a good, simple cover to a book. There's nothing worse when they go over the top with cover art. You can say a Hell of a lot with a simple, clean cover than an overabundance of colour and images, I say!

And that Thief of Always cover looks awesome.

It was recently announced that the surgeon scene from Hellbound: Hellraiser II was found on a VHS workprint and is included in the bonus features of the upcoming Scarlet Box set.

http://www.rue-morgue.com/#!Exclusi...ER-II-HELLBOUND/cjds/560eb5580cf2a7bb74c35dbb

I hope the box set makes it to America in some form eventually. We got screwed the first time around with the Lament Box set because it included Hellraiser III which Anchor Bay didn't have the rights to in the US.

Clive to release a collection of shorts - Tonight, Again

Clive is set to release a collection of short stories and poems - Tonight, Again: Tales of Love, Lust and Everything In Between. The collection is also illustrated with a dozen of Clive's line drawings.

tonightusl1.jpg

Published by Subterranean Press, the collection will be available in 3 states: a trade edition @ $30, a Signed edition limited to 224 copies at $125 and a Lettered edition, limited to 26 copies at $350.
All three editions are available for pre-order now and due out in early 2016.
Head over to Subterranean Press for full details and pre-orders.

Table of Contents:

Tonight, Again
I Love You
Craw: a Fable
Afraid
Moved
I Imagine You
If the Pen is the Penis
Touch the Rod
Martha
Tit
The Freaks
Cruelty
Dollie
The Collection
What May Not Be Shown
Two Views from a Window
Men in the Aisles of Supermarkets
A Blessing
Unrequited
Inside Out (Wasteland)
Another Genesis
I Have My Art
Whistling in the Dark
The Common Flesh
Aurora
Mr. Fred Coady Professes His Undying Love for His Little Sylvia
The Phone Call
The Multitude
A Monster Lies in Wait
An Incident at the Nunnery
The Genius of Denny Dan

What collections/novels do I need to track down for the Hellraiser stories?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"