Clone Wars Clone Wars 2003 Genndy Tartakovsky

DCW

Sidekick
Reaction score
I just rewatched both seasons of The Clone Wars 2003 by Genndy Tartakovsky. I personally love that series so much, it had great characters and action. I really love how directly it ties into Episode III. I love how Windu crushes Grevious's chest to cause the cough. Love the interaction between Anakin and Obi-Wan. Love Anakin's trail and especially when he does a force choke without his arm. I love how Anakin kills Ventress. I love Dooku training Grevious. There are just too many things I love to list.

What does everyone else think of this series? Do you still view it as great or is nothing compared to the new Clone Wars Series?

Genndy-Tartakovsky-Drawing-for-Hotel-Transylvania.jpg

star-wars-clone-wars-2003-20081002111145625-000.jpg

star-wars-clone-wars-volume-two-20051118031944309-000.jpg

800px-dooku_ventress_duel.png

cw17.jpg

And my favorite (it's huge)

clone+wars+2003.jpg

To my great shame, I have never seen more than a single episode. I've always wanted to watch it, but can never seem to get my hands on it.

If I recall correctly, in the one I saw a small boy was watching Mace Windu battle an army of droids. It was a lot of fun.

Tartakovsky's Clone Wars is one of the best cartoons ever made. Period.

I'm among the fans that love both CW series. This series started it all, and like DCW said it had some great moments. The kidnapping of the Chancellor prior to ROTS is one of my personal favorites. Loved to see how Grievous got his cough lol. I loved the heck out of Shaak Ti after this series :woot:. I even remember as the episodes were released leading up to ROTS. It truly was a wonderful time to be a SW fan, i sure had a blast :yay:

This thread kicked me into finally watching the whole lot after ten years. I'll happily jump on the bandwagon with everyone else and say it was fantastic. The action scenes were superb and definitely the highlight for me. The guy doing Anakin's voice did a really good job of capturing Hayden Christensen's inflections.

It was cool to see Anakin getting knighted as well. Watching the current Clone Wars series it's really interesting to see the way writers of both shows have to carefully navigate the continuity.

There as a discussion a little while ago about whether or not Mace Windu might have/should have survived at the end of ROTS. Given some of the distances he fell/jumped in this cartoon it certainly wouldn't surprise me if he lived falling out the window. I guess the lightening might have put him in enough of a daze so as not to save himself before hitting ground though.

Well, the cartoons are a very exaggerated version though, especially this CW. I personally never believed that Mace survived after that fall. He had been sith-lighted :-)oldrazz:) and that tends to leave the victim very weakened.

Yeah, that's what I figured. I'm fine with him being dead.

I read somewhere that George Lucas wasn't too thrilled with the extreme action in this series, is there any credence to that? I personally don't mind some Jedi being wildly powerful. It makes sense to me that Yoda can do some pretty incredible stuff, and it's my understanding that Mace Windu was generally considered one of the most powerful Force wielders, in terms of telekinesis.

I liked this cartoon a lot better, but a lot of that comes with Tartakovsky's experience as well as just over all better character depictions. I mean I love the new series but imo the lows really severely out weigh the highs. I find myself absolutely loving 5-7 episodes on average out of a 20 episode season and being either bored to tears or irritated by the rest of them (The Krell Arc, the Droid Arc, the Boba Fett Arcs, most of Grievous's appearances). I'll admit a lot may have to do with how few and short episodes in this series were, but still I enjoyed all of it and they made 4-6 minutes feel like a half hour everytime they came on.

[YT]BbR7k4hQGtc[/YT]

One of my many favorite parts at 2:24, I just love the clones reaction to Grevious. Shock...then shoot. lol.

Well, the cartoons are a very exaggerated version though, especially this CW. I personally never believed that Mace survived after that fall. He had been sith-lighted :-)oldrazz:) and that tends to leave the victim very weakened.
And Anakin sliced his hand off.

Losing limbs is par for the course in the Star Wars galaxy.

(also being pushed from great heights)

Last edited:
Yeah, that's what I figured. I'm fine with him being dead.

I read somewhere that George Lucas wasn't too thrilled with the extreme action in this series, is there any credence to that? I personally don't mind some Jedi being wildly powerful. It makes sense to me that Yoda can do some pretty incredible stuff, and it's my understanding that Mace Windu was generally considered one of the most powerful Force wielders, in terms of telekinesis.

I don't think that's true. George is a man who absolutely loves seeing what people do with his universe.

Durge vs Obi-Wan = full of win :woot:

As a fan of the CGI series I decided to go back and watch these (never had access to them when they came out). I just ordered a copy second hand online, and I'm curious to see how they'll compare.

I adore Tartakovsky's Clone Wars. It is probably my favorite prequel material. It captured the power and mystique I always wanted from the Jedi. Also, Grievous was actually terrifying.

Alright. Well, I just got them in the mail, so I'll be watching these over the next few days as the opportunities present themselves. Looking forward to it.

So I finally saw these for the first time. I've gotta say I thought they were pretty darn entertaining. That said I'm not sure I can say that I PREFER this series to the new one, so much as that I happily accept and include it to the overall story. I think it's odd that Leland Chee hasn't outright accepted these as canon. To me, the Genndy series fits as bookend to the other clone wars series quite nicely, with the exceptions of a couple minor (and possibly explainable) inconsistencies.

At any rate, I'm glad I finally got a chance to see them, and I can't believe it took me this long. And hopefully they'll release them on Blu Ray at some point, or at the very least HD download on iTunes.

Yeah, they're a blast. I can definitely see why everyone loves them. I also loved the why it led directly into Episode III. The whole chase scene with Grievous was awesome.

Too bad the series faded into obscurity over the years.

I was happy with this being the only real official bridge between AotC and RotS. Unfortunately, we later received an over-blown alternative that drowned out the Tartakovsky series.

Too bad the series faded into obscurity over the years.

I was happy with this being the only real official bridge between AotC and RotS. Unfortunately, we later received an over-blown alternative that drowned out the Tartakovsky series.

I would not call the Clone Wars series overblown. I t was quite good and I wish a lot of it made it into the prequels.

As much as I enjoyed the Tartakovsky series, I I DID a lot, it was a bit over the top. I mean just look at the Mace Windu episode. If that's how the Jedi were, no way would Order 66 ever work.

Glad to see it’s they’re going to have this series to stream on Disney+

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"