Cloud Gaming Company Predicts Sony Or Microsoft Will Not Have A Next-Gen Console

zenith16

Avenger
Reaction score
Cloud Gaming Company Predicts Sony Or Microsoft Will Not Have A Next-Gen Console

ces2012
n Jan 11, 2012 at 07:35 PM
playstation-icon.png
xbox360-icon.png

Yesterday Sony shot down persistent rumors that the PlayStation 4 will be debuting at E3 later this year. Now a representative of cloud gaming company Gaikai is saying that the truth about the next generation of gaming consoles could be even more shocking.
... More

source: GI
enjoy and discussions in session.

I don't/can't&won't believe it..At all,However IF true then I think it'd be Sony,There all doing very well But IF for some reason one of them backs out..I just imagine Sony doing it,IF it's Nintendo then that would an extremely HUGE f'n deal!!!!!

If he means in terms of a traditional game console, then I think he's absolutely correct.

Yea i can easily see this. Digital media is where this industry is headed. Eventually it'll be similar to the music industry with CD's and records becoming an increasing rarity.

IF he's talking about a traditional console..Then perhaps that rumor about the next Xbox being a tablet is indeed true!?,Wii U will still be a console with a tablet as a controller and in MS's eyes the way to beat them is having their console be a tablet and offer tons of stuff that basically makes it an I-Pad with console type of video games!

Based on the focus on Kinnect technology/Windows 8 type of update for the dashboard and the apps&features..I think that's a pretty big possibility!

You need a good internet connection for cloud gaming. With onlive the games even on a high end pc running it are generally a blurry sub 720p that actually look worse than the console version.

IF he's talking about a traditional console..Then perhaps that rumor about the next Xbox being a tablet is indeed true!?,Wii U will still be a console with a tablet as a controller and in MS's eyes the way to beat them is having their console be a tablet and offer tons of stuff that basically makes it an I-Pad with console type of video games!

Based on the focus on Kinnect technology/Windows 8 type of update for the dashboard and the apps&features..I think that's a pretty big possibility!

The rumor was that the next Xbox might come with a tablet peripheral, not that it would be a tablet.

A tablet with the new xbox?? Sounds pricey.

Part of the wii's success in sales as well as manufacturing was in how cheap it was to produce and sell. Given how Microsoft are Sony have been attempting to emulate it towards the end of this generation making a super pricey console would be a silly billy move imo. Look at Sony, Playstation 3 is doing ok now but it has pretty major problems.

You can bet that next gen consoles will not launch at the price they launched at this gen.

399.99... Tops.

A tablet with the new xbox?? Sounds pricey.

The rumor was that the "premium" console bundle would come with the base unit, a controller, kinect 2.0, and a tablet.

But, who knows at this point. Could be all lies.

I don't believe ANY rumor at this point. The rumors of Nintendo's next console got out of this world crazy and then when they announced the WiiU I remember being like "...That's it?!"

Now, a good while later I'm actually fairly excited for it.. but up until I see something at E3 I believe nothing.

I agree, just lots of crap going around. Probably to get website hits as well i'm betting. Gaming is very hype based so just put out any crap to stoke the fires.

Sony & Microsoft will have a presence in some form in the next generation, whether it's cloud based, tablet based..whatever. I guess it depends on whether the wii-U counts as bridging the generations or fully next gen next to PS4 & 720. There is too much money flying around for their respective shareholders to allow any different.

Both Sony & Microsoft will wait to see how the WiiU takes off. If its' a hit... they'll copy them.

I don't think cloud gaming will ever become take over home consoles with physical copies of games. It may catch on, but I don't see it taking over home consoles. Not everyone wants to have a subscription, or that ****. Nor does everyone have a good internet connection.

._.

I could see two SKU's happening...

One SKU with traditional disk tray that obviously run physical games, ect... The other (less expensive version) that's based on Could with no disk tray. It would be 100% digital... movies, Netflix, Hulu, games.. ect.

What better way to push the digital age? Offer it at a lesser cost and even sell the digital games at a lower price. You'd have people jumping ship in no time.

This prediction has been made for 3+ years now. Wasn't OnLive supposed to have destroyed consoles by now. Digital downloaded is good, but not nearly there yet, over the summer I downloaded Lego Batman onto my XBox and it took 2-3 hours. I've got a pretty good connection too.

Yeah, a cloud gaming company saying they're the next big thing? Big surprise.

The problem with "PS4" and "XBox720" is that this current gen hasn't exhausted itself yet. Neither machine has been pushed anywhere near its limit. The constraint right now, that's keeping games from getting bigger and sharper and better rapidly is manpower. To make a good game that shines on 720p, is fun and takes more than three hours to beat, you need almost 500 people on payroll for 3+ years. That's a lot of money.

A new system, that takes into account even more detail and tools is only going to cost more money. There's only a few developers/franchises in a position to take advantage of next gen to any advantage, but most, and thus the whole industry, would be weighed down by new tech and more work to do with the same amount of money.

Call back in about 4 years. I think you may see things swing differently. And by then, maybe cloud computing will be ready, and offline gaming will be relegated to handhelds or something... which by then will have PS3-level power anyway.

Long story short, the tech isn't the limitation, money and time for development is, and unless cloud has some revolutionary new solution for that they're not going to 'take the industry by storm'

The problem with "PS4" and "XBox720" is that this current gen hasn't exhausted itself yet. Neither machine has been pushed anywhere near its limit. The constraint right now, that's keeping games from getting bigger and sharper and better rapidly is manpower. To make a good game that shines on 720p,'

Cloud gaming probably will be the next big thing. It's still very much in it's infancy. When the television started, having one was a rarity enjoyed by very few. It was the exact same with the internet, thousands, not 1,966,514,816 (or so). If you look at youtube, bbciplayer and what not everything is moving onto streaming. Consoles and pc's are now connected media centers where you can just stream content from a major source.

This has logical benefits. Piracy will essentially be killed dead. Used copies, killed dead. Manufacturing hardware that equals sales loss killed dead. Lengthy downloads killed dead. Much tighter control with more ways to profit. The downside to this is that, gaming basically consists of greedy pigs who will monetize you with out any thought. Independent developers would probably suffer along with the ability to customize games on the pc side of things. For the bussiness men though, the only downside is the lack of internet speed and the lack of people actually with the internet. However internet speed has progressed super rapidly over the years and becomes more and more common. While it probably wont happen now, 10 years (not 4) from now it will most likely be another story.

I don't agree about consoles either. Practically every trick in the book has been used. Cutting down levels, tiny FOV, larger guns, pop in, upscaled, fake AA. Tons of tricks are having to be used. They also have limited memory which is one of the devs biggest complaints.

Also resolution is vastly over-rated imo. Especially with consoles. With a PC is more important as you sit about a foot away from the screen, you notice the minor details simply by being closer up. With a console, very much like standing away from a painting, these details are much less preannounced and generally meld together. I'm sitting on a pc thats really, really awsome (the fan has multi-colored lights) and generally when i'm playing a game better suited for a control pad, I will quite happily drop the resolution from 1680X1050 right down to 800X600 to get maximum frame rate.

It seems to me the two main aspects people seem to be wholly ignoring is scale and interaction. Alot of people scoffed at PhysX as a gimmick. But like cloud gaming that type of thing is still infantile. A carpet and some bits of glass might not seem impressive but when every single aspect of the game reacts like that rather than just misc stuff, games of this and last generation will most likely seem primitive. Ironically, Halflife 2 (seven years old) pushed this idea. Call Of Duty, retracted that idea. Because it is not very good.

Games still don't render alot onscreen realtime either. When you watch something like Return Of The King you see hundreds and thousands of people on screen a once. Only one game I can think of has been able to do that with a significant amount of detail. The current generation of consoles cannot. Rather than just prettying up the graphics, it would also change gameplay itself without the need of illusions of scale.

Saying that though, this seems to be the high mountan they are aiming for. Dancing like a jerk and waggling your thingy to some stupid Ubisoft game.

This prediction has been made for 3+ years now. Wasn't OnLive supposed to have destroyed consoles by now. Digital downloaded is good, but not nearly there yet, over the summer I downloaded Lego Batman onto my XBox and it took 2-3 hours. I've got a pretty good connection too.

The problem with "PS4" and "XBox720" is that this current gen hasn't exhausted itself yet. Neither machine has been pushed anywhere near its limit. The constraint right now, that's keeping games from getting bigger and sharper and better rapidly is manpower. To make a good game that shines on 720p, is fun and takes more than three hours to beat, you need almost 500 people on payroll for 3+ years. That's a lot of money.

A new system, that takes into account even more detail and tools is only going to cost more money. There's only a few developers/franchises in a position to take advantage of next gen to any advantage, but most, and thus the whole industry, would be weighed down by new tech and more work to do with the same amount of money.

Call back in about 4 years. I think you may see things swing differently. And by then, maybe cloud computing will be ready, and offline gaming will be relegated to handhelds or something... which by then will have PS3-level power anyway.

Long story short, the tech isn't the limitation, money and time for development is, and unless cloud has some revolutionary new solution for that they're not going to 'take the industry by storm'

:up:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blacktopolis24
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"