The Daily Planet - Superman News and Speculation Thread

I do wonder what Gunn, DC, and WB are thinking. This shot certainly was ok'd by every one involved, I assume. No panic, since we haven't gotten a hastily released second picture. I personally like the shot, as off as it is. I wish I knew what the intent really is, to see what they wanted to convey, and if they succeeded. They may think they did, people are talking. I do want to see a Clark picture and a Superman pose from David, as I think he will look out of this world.

PS. British GQ is reporting David is 6'4, I think the 6'6 was a mistake. The gym instructor is Italian, I am sure he is more comfortable with metric height.

The fact that we don't get a proper look at the trunks, for instance, appears very deliberate, IMO. They're just giving us a tease for the time being.
I'm really surprised there wasn't outdoor filming this week*. I guess Gunn really did pick a random Monday for no clear reason. :funny:

*unless it was delayed due to weather. Looks like it's been pretty awful in that part of the country this week.

The fact that we don't get a proper look at the trunks, for instance, appears very deliberate, IMO. They're just giving us a tease for the time being.
F teasing. This Superman film is humongous and there is a lot riding on it. The Kingdom Come S-shield was more of a tease and it was magnificent. Loved that. I just feel introducing a new Superman needed to be bang on triumphant. But it's all good, still got an entire year of marketing and material to portray.

I remember James saying that Alex Ross has been a huge collaborator, especially designing the suit and giving notes on that. I saw Alex post on twXtter of a side by side comparison of the reveal and his famous artwork of Clark sitting in his chair from Peace on Earth. There may have been a slight homage to that as well.

I'm really surprised there wasn't outdoor filming this week*. I guess Gunn really did pick a random Monday for no clear reason. :funny:

*unless it was delayed due to weather. Looks like it's been pretty awful in that part of the country this week.
Yeah, it's hard to say. I mean, he's definitely the type to just drop it randomly for the sake of being unpredictable. But you may be right about the weather being a possible deterrent. Let's see what happens in the coming weeks! :awesome:

What I'm really looking forward to is the Fortress shots and how those scenes will be filmed. I can't wait to see a more icy Fortress. I'm a sucker for that portion of the mythos. JG will bring us a lot of the goods. He will hit on the imagery for sure. I hope the flying aspect is something of an innovative take as well.

That is...not flattering.

Then let him hold some flowers and a box of chocolates I guess. Maybe even wink and blow a kiss to the viewer.

If a classic callback to Superman leaving a building and looking off into the distance preparing to go into battle where you get a full view his most prominent features for a “first look” isn’t enough, then idk.

What I'm really looking forward to is the Fortress shots and how those scenes will be filmed. I can't wait to see a more icy Fortress. I'm a sucker for that portion of the mythos. JG will bring us a lot of the goods. He will hit on the imagery for sure. I hope the flying aspect is something of an innovative take as well.
I gotta say, him confirming he's doing the flying completely differently than he did with Adam Warlock has made me especially intrigued to see what that's gonna look like.

Besides that, I'm most-excited to see what Clark and the Daily Planet crew (and setting) looks like.

I gotta say, him confirming he's doing the flying completely differently than he did with Adam Warlock has made me especially intrigued to see what that's gonna look like.

Besides that, I'm most-excited to see what Clark and the Daily Planet crew (and setting) looks like.
I strangely want Lois and Clark dancing in the air to "It Had to be You".

There's going to be a ton to unpack there and is something that is going under the radar. The Planet atmosphere alone (even with a guy like Lombard around) will give David a lot of material to flex his playful chops. It's going to be interesting all around to see what JG comes up with there. That type of set is where he excels at the most. He'll have a fluid tone with all those characters interacting.

I agree with Invader that the shot he posted probably has more significance in context. I think he was trying to avoid paying homage to any specific famous comics images, which might have been considered low-hanging fruit, so to speak. Love it or hate it, what we got was far less fan service-y, but it certainly gave us more to talk about lol.
I can picture a context in which this photo was taken from when they were filming a scene on the third act or something with Clark already at his "lowest" for whatever stuff Luthor is pulling but still goes out to fight and it's like this really epic sequence that's supposed to showcase what Superman is all about. In which case if the scene itself has a special meaning to the movie like that it'd make sense for Gunn to want this to be the first image, as I guess in his head this may be one of his favorite scenes in the script.

I do wonder what Gunn, DC, and WB are thinking. This shot certainly was ok'd by every one involved, I assume. No panic, since we haven't gotten a hastily released second picture. I personally like the shot, as off as it is. I wish I knew what the intent really is, to see what they wanted to convey, and if they succeeded. They may think they did, people are talking. I do want to see a Clark picture and a Superman pose from David, as I think he will look out of this world.

PS. British GQ is reporting David is 6'4, I think the 6'6 was a mistake. The gym instructor is Italian, I am sure he is more comfortable with metric height.
I honestly think that they may actually be fine with the reception as it at least has caused discourse and memes, and like, yeah, to some extent "any publicity is good publicity". Obviously hopefully the trailers won't be as "controversial", but people are talking about the suit and engaging about the movie, which is a good thing.

It's getting talked about so I'm sure they're fine with it for now. I’m sure they wanted a positive response but they’ll be alright. I doubt the general audiences have determined they won't see this film over that image. The defeatist, doomsday "its ruined, its doomed!" rhetoric from fans is very typical fan ****. They'll be there opening weekend.

Last edited:
The problem is, DC is in not in a good place with the general audience as a whole. The IP is incredibly damaged for the time being. DC has been somewhat of a lightening rod; laughing stock to the streets. We can all agree that James Gunn took over a disgruntled and borderline depressing situation from the get-go (something he openly admitted to when he took the reigns) so his Superman film has an incredible amount of weight on it to begin the process of getting the rebranded DCU into a positive light (and not without its controversy).

The reveal has been taken its punishment, and the continued divisive nature is somewhat of a stumble coming out of the gates on already a shaky studio foundation. I just worry that Gunn's Superman film has little to no room for error and will be under an incredible amount of scrutiny either way. If the general public opens up the internet and the first thing they are seeing is shade being thrown in the vein of distasteful memes and divisive reactions, to them, they will click out with the attitude of "same 'ol DC" where this failed on some level.

I'm not interested in being on pins and needles again. The prior DCEU situation aged me a good 20 years. It's not the end of the world, but first impressions do matter. I do, though, believe that once the first footage is shown, that it will be ambitious enough to turn heads and fuel excitement. I'm sure JG has a lot of packed ammunition behind his sleeve. He knows he needs it.

The Snyder Cut of DC's Superman.

GNLWoJ6WoAAJVd4

The problem is, DC is in not in a good place with the general audience as a whole. The IP is incredibly damaged for the time being. DC has been somewhat of a lightening rod; laughing stock to the streets. We can all agree that James Gunn took over a disgruntled and borderline depressing situation from the get-go (something he openly admitted to when he took the reigns) so his Superman film has an incredible amount of weight on it to begin the process of getting the rebranded DCU into a positive light (and not without its controversy).

The reveal has been taken its punishment, and the continued divisive nature is somewhat of a stumble coming out of the gates on already a shaky studio foundation. I just worry that Gunn's Superman film has little to no room for error and will be under an incredible amount of scrutiny either way. If the general public opens up the internet and the first thing they are seeing is shade being thrown in the vein of distasteful memes and divisive reactions, to them, they will click out with the attitude of "same 'ol DC" where this failed on some level.

I'm not interested in being on pins and needles again. The prior DCEU situation aged me a good 20 years. It's not the end of the world, but first impressions do matter. I do, though, believe that once the first footage is shown, that it will be ambitious enough to turn heads and fuel excitement. I'm sure JG has a lot of packed ammunition behind his sleeve. He knows he needs it.

It doesn't help that it looks like next year will have A LOT of competition at the box office. Heck, the cast for Fantastic Four is beginning to gain some much-needed momentum.

It doesn't help that it looks like next year will have A LOT of competition at the box office. Heck, the cast for Fantastic Four is beginning to gain some much-needed momentum.
One of the good things a director like Gunn got going for him is how he has a pulse on what the GA and critics alike; like. It's extremely hard to tell at this point to what the studio will deem a success for these next crop of DC films; especially Superman. My gut tells me the studio will be happy with $500-550 mil WW at the rate the last handful has gone at the BO. I'm not so sure as of yet if the expectations are to hit between MoS and The Batman type numbers. We're still way aways from that collective, but that will be extra interesting nonetheless.

No comic book movie franchise has struggled at the box office as much as the Fantastic Four. I guess you might get a Fantastic Four teaser for Deadpool 3. So it might get some momentum from that but Superman is highly anticipated. A picture of David putting on boots trended number 1 across the world. I have my money on Supes and it’s not close.

I could be wrong, but I think a lot of "first look" superhero images are purposely shot in a way that isn't necessarily as flattering as we might hope for, but still gives us a taste of what's to come. It's like they're testing the waters or something to that effect.
I actually agree with this. Especially when it's a screen shot reveal and in the rare instance of the screen test with The Batman. I honestly can't remember a full on reveal that didnt look awkward, especially if it's not a scene from the movie.

Last edited:
I hate myself for using this comp, but it does register as an MCU type of costume. Backpack-looking fabric, unnecessary and distracting seams and design elements. If you look at the cuffs, the fabric also looks oddly thick. The creasing around the chest and shoulder area is not pleasing to look at.

The collar absolutely blows, but I'm so happy the trunks are back that I'll consider this a wash.

If I'm being perfectly candid, first word to come to mind is "cheap." It looks cheap.
Completely agree, especially with the use of lines everywhere on the suit. It just looks like what everyone else is doing nowadays.

Like I said on the other thread, I know that Gunn insists on always working with the same team, but he really should have gotten a different costume designer for this.

Someone mentioned this in another thread, but I think the following quote from Grant Morrison encapsulates what Gunn was looking to achieve with the reveal, not to mention his take on David's Superman in general. It clearly didn't go over as well as intended, but these things happen.

GM8w4s0WMAEL42I
This is an example of why I think a certain perception of Superman is still not widely understood yet. I totally agree with Morrison here, btw. I think the next pic will probably be more of what people were expecting though, regardless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"