Colin Farrell IS The Penguin

It almost makes me wish they had pulled a Tilda Swinton/Suspiria and invented an actor that was playing Penguin. We’d be none the wiser.

I love Farrell as an actor and certainly think he's one of the best actors working today.

That said, I don't quite get why they put in the effort to make him look so different. I mean, considering the amount of makeup/prosthetics on him, seems like it would've been easier to cast someone else. I can think of a few other actors who naturally have the type of look that he does in the trailer.

No doubt at all that Farrell will more than likely kill it in his role, I just don't get why he was cast over someone else (of similar talent) who would've required less makeup. And no I don't mean Jonah Hill. :o His look there in those images really reminds me of actors like Tom Wilkinson and Brian Cox for example. I know Wilkinson was already in Batman Begins though, just saying that type of look isn't exactly uncommon in other actors. Also yeah, Richard Kind (posted right above) too. I knew there was another actor with that look!

I keep seeing the “Why not cast someone else if you’re going to make him look different?” question popping up online. And it just makes me want to ask...

You guys get that acting ability and appearance are two different things, right?

Sorry but it’s a dumb question. No two ways about it. I see it all over twitter. So Oldman shouldn’t have been cast as Churchill or Dracula? To think that acting is only about what you look like is ridiculous. Reeves obviously wanted what Colin can offer in terms of body movement, voice, little nuances that he can bring to a character. What about Charlize Theron who completely transformed her face and body through makeup & prosthetic. Should they have just cast some ugly actress that matched the director’s image in their mind?

Without transformative prosthetics work you don't get a lot of great performances. DDL played Lincoln for Pete's sake.

xCi25l0.gif

Sorry but it’s a dumb question. No two ways about it. I see it all over twitter. So Oldman shouldn’t have been cast as Churchill or Dracula? To think that acting is only about what you look like is ridiculous. Reeves obviously wanted what Colin can offer in terms of body movement, voice, little nuances that he can bring to a character. What about Charlize Theron who completely transformed her face and body through makeup & prosthetic. Should they have just cast some ugly actress that matched the director’s image in their mind?

I kind of see their point, though. It's not all nothing. There are actors who would be perfectly good actors and look like what they ultimately went for visually.

I don't mind personally, my biggest concern is how it looks when we see more substantial clips, and if it looks noticeably phony.

I also like that this Penguin isn't diminutive.

If they didn't change his look, y'all would've complained about that too.

Let's just be happy we got an actor like him in the role and he doesn't look (and most likely won't act) like ****ing Telltale "Penguin".

It almost makes me wish they had pulled a Tilda Swinton/Suspiria and invented an actor that was playing Penguin. We’d be none the wiser.

Funnily enough, I think that'd actually be a really good idea for the Joker. Because that way, you can't even humanise him in a meta context, it'd make him a lot more scary.

Slightly off-topic but isn't it such a shame Colin doesn't get the same love for Velcoro that Matthew and Mahershala get for Rust and Wayne? The season may not be great but Colin is phenomenal.

I never got the whole way through that season. I couldn’t take Vince Vaughn seriously.

The difference is, I can still see Gary in the Churchill makeup.

I literally can't see Colin at all. I definitely don't have a problem with it, it's just wild. I suppose Reeves thought Colin might be a bit too good-looking for Oz, and wanted that full transformation so there is no doubt that this could be a gangster who gets teased about his looks and has a massive inferiority complex (maybe).

And to be completely honest. I still can barely see Heath Ledger at all as The Joker, so this wouldn't be the first time an actor has fully disappeared for a Batman villain role. I don't think I would've been able to guess who it was if I didn't know.

Last edited:
The difference is, I can still see Gary in the Churchill makeup.

I literally can't see Colin at all. I definitely don't have a problem with it, it's just wild. I suppose Reeves thought Colin might be a bit too good-looking for Oz, and wanted that full transformation so there is doubt that this could be a gangster who gets teased about his looks and has a massive inferiority complex (maybe).

And to be completely honest. I still can barely see Heath Ledger at all as The Joker, so this wouldn't be the first time an actor has fully disappeared for a Batman villain role. I don't think I would've been able to guess who it was if I didn't know.

Yea Darkest Hour is a good makeup/prosthetic job, but Gary Oldman is still recognizable. For the life of me, I cannot see Colin Farrell in there at all.

I agree with you about Heath Ledger. Even though he doesn’t have nearly as much makeup on as Farrell or Oldman (mostly just facepaint and the prosthetic scars), he really disappears into the role, and it sounds nothing like him either.

I never got the whole way through that season. I couldn’t take Vince Vaughn seriously.
The one thing that really stood out to me about that season is that they had Taylor Kitsch playing a gay character and still made it completely and utterly unenjoyable. So... not great.

But Farrell and McAdams were fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"