Comic book Documentary

zee_zack

Civilian
Reaction score
What kind of people would you like us to interview? We want to know how comics have been effected by comic based films...if it has made comic books more popular in general...

Ever want to know how much it would cost to become a superhero? What kind of drugs you could take to heal faster? Survive insomnia? What kind of combat training you would need, where to get equipment or cars?

What do comic shop owners think about these things? What do the fans think? What comics should get turned into films? How easy is it to take a comic and try and make it a film?

Good idea. It would be cool if you could like build a batmobile in it.

In
short we will take a look at the effects of comic based films on the comic
book market....if awareness has increased...causing more people to buy
comics etc...

are main goal will also be to find out how to become a hero looking from the
materials needed to the equipment, cars, suits, training... what kind of
psychological effects take place....

Comic shop interviews, Video shop interviews, Costume shop interviews,
Interviews with the public at different locations, Hot girl interview -
their ideal hero, Gym interview - what kind of diet and workout regime
needed... Supplements show interview - what kind of drugs need to keep you
strong, energetic, survive insomnia, heal faster... Car Engineers
interviews, Police interviews - there response to a vigilante. How hard it is to get a comic book turned into a film?

Conduct public survey.... I may require a few actors inputs...what if they were
asked to become a hero for a film, how they would train, act or talk...what
references they would look into, to make the character more
believable...

We are working with almost no budget, but we could at least focus for now on where to get materials, equipment or at least make it....even provide alternatives....if we get good responses we can always add to the footage we get..

I may increase my efforts in bodybuilding and report on the effects for a few weeks, as well as try and find out how to make a costume, or buy it, make and get hold of weapons and other equipment...see if other ideas would work in real life, or could.

*Interviews
*An experiment for myself and a friend - how to train to become a hero
- diet
- training regime
- combat advice
*stock footage - of films ...need copyrights?
*animation - need to contact special folk
*sound - an iconic song

I have a ton of questions I would like to ask to a variety of folk, including experts. I can not guarantee of getting hold of some of them, but I can at least try.

Normal everyday folk
Hot girls - what they think of superheroes

experts

Comic shop owners
Gym Instructors
Dietians/Drug Store owners
Clinical Psychiatrists
Doctors
Police
Video shop owners
Costume shop owners
Car Enginneers
Actors

What should I focus on, or should I just let it be more open-ended?

Hey zack!

I was actually thinking (way back, though) of making a movie called "Crapwoman" investigating why Catwoman was such a failure, interviewing people...but that was just a far away dream.

I reckon you should just do a documentary on Frank Miller's works. He is the God of comics. The Hard Goodbye is our Bible.

I'll look into Frank Miller, talk a bit about Sin City and his Batman works maybe...

Filmed some more footage... need to get more location shots

about 3 hours of footage...about an hour of me repeting myself on my own, and about 1 and half hours worth of me and scott talking about stuff.

We got two cameras...one ubab color don, and one less don..using a black and white style...we shot the scott and rob footage from two different angles using these cameras....using the 180 rule.

we also shot a ****y spider-man piss take using the remaining film on the black and white one....

we talked about intelligence, strength, sex appeal, female characters, love interests, quotes, functionality of costumes, racism, agism, sexism, psychological effects, combat skills, fame, propagand, potential supervillians and gadgets.

What shall we call this thing? Where can I find someone to do a great musical score, animation, editing and putting in statistcs and voice overs etc...

We shall attempt to ship it all around the world and place it online at various sites for people to see. I want to create something worthwhile, even if makes no money, it will be a great boost in reputation for us.

I've still yet to mention the Frank Miller comics, so we should look into that really...just looking around the net now for artists, composers and animators.

Do any of you know any good animation /flash links that take on super hero stuff? Or are available to hire for short pieces.

Id' like to get hold of these people, but not sure what kind of questions I should ask, or if they would consider doing an interivew...does anyone know where I can get some of these contacts?

Simon Bizley - did some great work for 2000AD
Paul Gulacy - James Bond comics and Catwoman comics
Larry Kenney - Voice actor for Thundercats, Silverhawks
Neil Ross - Voice actor for Transformers and Dr Doom
Lou Ferrigno - Bodybuilder and actor for The Incredible Hulk
Kevin Grevioux - Actor - Is a huge comic book fan
Christopher Kirby - Actor - Matrix 2+3, Star Wars 3
Stan Lee - Writer of many comic books
Bruce Campbell - Actor Evil Dead...talk about Evil Dead and Screaming Brain comics?
Kevin Smith - Director - Comic fan
Adam West - Original Batman
Guillermo del Toro - Director

Try finding a contact email or something from this site, as it has at least 3 of the people you mentioned.

Thanks for the link man....

I've just sought to contact these folks...some of them should respond and then I will ask if anyone here has some questions for them:

Adam West,
Alex Ross,
Simon Bisley,
Paul Gulacy,
Lou Ferrigno,
Bruce Campbell
Guillermo del Toro - webmaster,
Kevin Smith, keep tabs on this link http://viewaskew.com/theboard/viewtopic.php?t=38363

I should try and talk about that film too. cheers

Heh... that Nancy chick doesn't like you ;) :p.

Wow...I actually (since I am a big fan of the Hellboy movies [I also want the director's cut on PSP]) would really enjoy seeing an interview with Guillermo Del Toro...maybe you could ask like "How do you get in touch with the characters to make sure they fit in the world your presenting?" stuff like that...I love him and his work...suck a great w/d.

zee_zack said:
Id' like to get hold of these people, but not sure what kind of questions I should ask, or if they would consider doing an interivew...does anyone know where I can get some of these contacts?

Simon Bizley - did some great work for 2000AD
Paul Gulacy - James Bond comics and Catwoman comics
Larry Kenney - Voice actor for Thundercats, Silverhawks
Neil Ross - Voice actor for Transformers and Dr Doom
Lou Ferrigno - Bodybuilder and actor for The Incredible Hulk
Kevin Grevioux - Actor - Is a huge comic book fan
Christopher Kirby - Actor - Matrix 2+3, Star Wars 3
Stan Lee - Writer of many comic books
Bruce Campbell - Actor Evil Dead...talk about Evil Dead and Screaming Brain comics?
Kevin Smith - Director - Comic fan
Adam West - Original Batman
Guillermo del Toro - Director
I don't know about the others, but if you go to Bruce's official website and e-mail him with your questions he will respond. He's one of the few "celebrities" (if you can even call him that :p) to respond to ALL the fan e-mails that he gets.

ok well I just recieved word about Guillemero

-------------------
Rob-

You can email Guillermo directly at
################

Thanks

Parker
Webmaster, DelToroFilms.com

----------------

just for security, best start coming up with some questions...I got word on Lou Ferringo's agent...they want to talk to me about it...so again need some questions for him...preferably no yes/no questions

Documentary Plan.

Introduction

animation or slide show of comic books, clips from films, clips from games, with a unique sound track of our own...
1-2 mins
cutway/archve footage - The Crow, Superman and Batman

-cinema verte' - SCRIPTED - small intro about the project....walking
(towards a comic shop...comic shop unseen at this point)
- cinema verte' - talking a bit about the project? just me on my own in my room or/and with scott and rob footage
-cinema verte' - Shot of us entering the comic shop
- cinema verte' - camera rolling us looking at comics talking about them etc...SEMI-SCRIPTED?
-Interview with comic shop owner - part of the interview shown 1/3 - 2/3
- cutaway clips of films and comics and pictures

subject - Origin

cutway/archve footage - spider-man 1,batman begins - orign
pictures of the films above- SCRIPTED reflection scene small conclusion?

stats report

- Cutaway - Statistics of comic films boxoffice - when they are released...
- Archive footage - how they are marketed
-Statistics of comic sales...in relation to the months of a film's release....before, during and after.

subject - Historic conclusion
Comic books take up a visual grammar that's centuries old. Angels in classical art have wings to demonstrate their higher nature and their movement between Heaven and earth; in Egyptial wall art, important and powerful people are show as bigger than less-important people. Comic-book heroes - at least in part - are muscular to represent their forcefulness (there's a whole thread on

subject - Adlerian psychology
Adlerian psychology just gagging to spin off of this). Villains are stooped and ugly, and so on and so on.
Archive footage "Unbreakable" - goes into this as a major theme, with Mr Glass explaining it to a chap trying to buy a piece of classic comic-book art.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Adlerian_psychology

-cinema verte' -shot of us entering another comic book shop
-Interview with comic shop owner - part of the interview shown 1/3 - 2/3
-cinema verte' - sections of me and scott talking

subject - Gadgets
Archive footage - Batman - Joker saying where does he get those wonderful toys...
Psychology interviews
-Random comic shop windows...
-interview with random fans?
- LXG - features a past group of superheores with some feasable tech?
http://spookyland.free.fr/img/lxg-t1.gif

subject - Strength
Psychology interviews
Lou Ferringo interview
cutaway - TV series HULK
comic shop owners interview - talking about hulk, jugganaught strong characters...
-cinema verte' - shot of me propsing that I will be willing to undertake a superhero diet and training regime.
-dietian interview - quick talk on what kind of foods a superhero may need to eat.
- supplement assistent - quick talk on how to deal with insomnia...and healing wounds and increasing strength...
-cinema vertie' - shot of me showing you the food I just bought....what supplements I'm going to take
-gym interview - quick talk on what kind of gym regime I would need as a superhero.
- chest press shot of me talking about strong characters - when is a character too strong...questions we ask the fans...
-fans of strong comic characters
archive footage of Superman - snippet of strength
-cinema verte' - sections of me and scott talking - six billion dollar man?

subjects - Intelligence
Psychology interviews
Adam West interview
comic shop owners interview
fans of intelligent comic characters
archive footage - spider-man 2
-cinema verte' - scott and I reading and reasearcing psychlogy books, criminology...
Psychology interviews - on criminology and becoming an efficitent detective and crime fighter?

subject - Combat Skills
-cinema verte' - talking about the need to be a good fighter in different martial arts...me taking up one...and researching it...
- shot of me taking up a martial art...
Psychology interviews
fans of fighting comic characters
Other weapons --- detective work?
Interesting Fact: Batman had files on each and every member of the Justice League of America, with key information on how to beat his own teammates.
- cutaway - what about tommy guns like Dick Tracy?

subjects - identity
Psychology interviews
-unknown past?
Wolverine
-unrecognisable?
-cutaway - Swamp Thing - wife no longer recognises her husband
-secret identity and split identity
cutaways - Fantastic Four, Flash
reasons for fame?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_(comics)
Flash - advertising products occasionally?

subjects - Money
Psychology interviews
fans of rich comic characters
-Split screen - shot of me in the gym at different times...performing different exercises - a few weeks of filming
- cinema verte' - shot of me talking about how much it costs to train and eat...
- animation or picture - of Doc Oct taking on KFC
-- cinema verte' - shot of scott talking about the lamest comic book story yet...what to really do to save money as a villain...
- animation or picture - of me as a hero and scott as a sidekick advertising different brands - to get money
-- cinema verte' - shot of scott and I talking about use of advertising to fund secret identities. - Mystery Men

Social conflicts
archive footage - Robocop
archive footage of Superman 3 - inner conflict
secret wars? - blade and x-men?

subjects - sex appeal - and sexim
Psychology interviews
fans of female comic characters
- Archive footage - Wonder Woman, Dale (Flash Gordon), Catwoman and Supergirl?
-cinema verte' - sections of me and scott talking - relationships?

subjects - Racism and different versions of American heroes
Psychology interviews
fans of cult comic characters - not as popular as spider-man etc...
Archive - Black Panther, Green Lantern - John Stewart, Spawn - originally black?
http://www.spawn.com/toys/spawn/series27/spawni086/images/series27_spawni086_concept_01_dp.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spawn_(comics)
-different versions of heroes from other cultures - need for a hero? -major differences...different needs and desires?

subjects - agism - effect of growing older...weaker, more experienced, stronger?
Psychology interviews
fans of comic characters
-contrast of characters in a group - how relationships and leadership roles change?
*The Ultimate X-Men series, where there's a marked contrast between characters like Duggan (a SHIELD grunt: training and tech but no powers) and the mutants: Duggan's a grizzled, scarred old sod. Experience counts too!

Style of films

comic shop owners interview - style of films-- arty films
archive footage - Flash Gordon- test to be a hero
archive footage - The Crow
archive footage - Sin City
cutway/archve footage - The Maxx
Artist interviews?
Simon Bizley, Paul Gulacy
cutways - AD 2000 and Batman, Catwoman, Jamesbond?

Conclusion

-Psychology interviews
-comic shop owners interview - potential realistic characters - james bond, Batman, Punisher?

-inserts- Fans. Scott and Rob, other footage
*The difference between an effective real-world vigilante - who's going to look something like a martial arts / streetfighter / special forces kinda guy (or girl) and a comic-book hero.

-archive footage and comic page shots of James Bond, Punisher, Batman
- fans on Batman, Punisher, James Bond?
- cinema verte' - our talk about james bond, punsiher and Batman...or the future - say Buck Rogers?

Influence
cutways or/and interviews -Real life hero interviews? Or photos?
- Shaolin Monks? Combat Soldiers? SAS?
Animations/Games and Comics which tried to get turned into films - talk about Darkham Vale and Dragon's Lair...
-cinema verte' - sections of me and scott talking - about these yet film topics.
Fan Films - batman dead end
-cinema verte' - sections of me and scott talking - conclusion - conclusion of my training and eating programme after a few months.

end ...credits
-cinema verte' - Blooper reel and Spider-man spoof

ok any ideas there guys? This is my first draft at the idea behind this documentary? could get a good chunky thing out of this...need to buy some more tapes

zee_zack said:
subjects - Racism and different versions of American heroes
Psychology interviews
fans of cult comic characters - not as popular as spider-man etc...

Any Catwoman talk?

we can mention catwoman under female characters - wonderwoman etc... talk about relationships

subjects - sex appeal - and sexim
Psychology interviews
fans of female comic characters
- Archive footage - Wonder Woman, Dale (Flash Gordon), Catwoman and Supergirl?
-cinema verte' - sections of me and scott talking - relationships?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"