Confirmed - Bioshock on PS3!

I never get it when people make that statement. Like seriously I have under 10 games for both the PS3 and XBOX360 and that has always been more than enough for me to keep me busy until the next game I want. Do you guys like have enough that amount of free time to not be satisfied of whats available and to come in the near future?

Ya I feel the same, the PS3 has ample content to keep you entertained. For multiplayer I have COD4, Motorstorm, Warkhawk, Smackdown vs. Raw 2008, and GTA4. For Single I have Oblivion, Drake's forturne, Gundam: Dynasty Warriors (I'm a Gundam fan despite most Gundam games being awful), Sonic (impulse $20 buy), Assasin's Creed, and a few others. That doesn't include the other exclusives I don't have like Ratchet and Clank or Resistance, or multi ports like Orange box (which I have for PC).

Most games set on my shelf, I have more than enough to keep me busy until MGS4, FF, Little Big Planet, and others come out. The PS3 has more than enough games.

- The graphics are the same as the Xbox 360 version of the game, although they may possibly notch it up a bit but it is still unknown.- The game will feature the Plasmid and fixes given to the Xbox 360 version via downloadable content right out of the box.

- The development team does admit that they are working with Sony to potentially "extend and augment the game" but it is too early to talk about it.

- The development team says "whatever we end up with via our discussions with Sony, coupled with the fact that BioShock allows you to go through and roll your own shooter in the first place...these two factors together would turn into a motive for replay." That being if you already had the Xbox 360 version of the game.

- The rest is them talking about the actual game and story and big developers like Ted Price from Insomniac Games weigh in on the title.

First screens...

74506.jpg

74505.jpg

Here's an explanation of the 360's exclusivity deal:

Exclusivity deals these days are complicated things. When BioShock was originally announced everyone expected it would be released on all suitable platforms, but it ended up being an Xbox 360 exclusive. Throughout the months leading up to its release rumours about a PS3 version were cropping up on an almost daily basis, and we tracked down Markus Wilding, International PR director, 2K, to find out what exactly the deal was with BioShock on Xbox 360 and the game now coming to PS3.

"Originally we announced BioShock as a next-gen game and didn't specify platforms," stated Wilding. "Then we were approached by Microsoft and at that time that deal made perfect sense for everybody, so we did it. As far as exclusivity deals go these days, they expire after a certain time, and then it was up to us to decide if it would make sense to release a PS3 version such a long time after the 360 version. BioShock has such a huge fan base and we literally got emails almost every day from people requesting, asking for a PS3 version or asking if it would be possible.

"Basically we chose the right time and we had the opportunity after a while, and we said all right, we'll go for it. Obviously we couldn't announce it for a while. Had we announced it at the time we launched the 360 version, basically we'd nullify that deal, so we had to work it so both parties would be pleased. That's the basic story. There's no big surprise in there. As long as you have an exclusivity, you cannot talk about other platforms."

What about the rumours of a PS3 version being in development before the Xbox 360 game shipped to stores? We asked Markus when development on the PS3 version of BioShock started.

"The development basically started, let's see, I can't put a finger on it, but certainly not right after we shipped the 360 version, because at that time we didn't know if it'd make sense to release a PS3 version," he stated. "BioShock was a big team, but it wasn't like 200 people working, so it wasn't like we could say "hey, let's work on a version that might not even come to light". So I can't give you an exact date, but after the 360 version was done. When the right time came we could announce it and we did."
http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=34229

It'll be nice to finally be able to get this game without any stupid DRM to deal with.

Played the demo when it came out and I was completely blown away, probably as much as MGS4, so I'll be buying this on Friday.

Launch Trailer

Completed it on the 360 a while back then traded it in before my 360 tanked......dont feel like owning it again on my PS3. It's a good experience but not something I'd be too bothered playing through again. Its all about the story.

Tried the demo as well, in fact it took me awhile to want to try the demo. I thought it'd be just another FPS, but was wrong. I didn't like what I played as much as COD4, but I did like it. The stories interesting, the creepy factor is there, some good shock moments in the demo. Lately I haven't had as much xtra cash as I did earlier in the year, and tons of good games are coming out one after another :(, but I do plan on picking this up eventually.

Exclusivity deals are becoming a thing of the past. We are reaching an era in gaming where the only difference between the two major consoles will be first party games.

Pretty much.

At first this would have been a problem for Sony considering that Microsoft had a far more superior first party development team making games with Bungie developing the Halo series, Bioware developing Mass Effect and Jade Empire, Lionhead for Fable, Ensemble for RTS games, Rare the guys behind some of Nintendo's best games, and Mistwalker the guys who created Final Fantasy.

However, Bungie is now independent even though they will still make games exclusively for the Xbox brand for the time being. Bioware was bought by Electronic Arts and is now multiplatform. Ensemble has been shut down. Rare sucks now. And Mistwalker has been underwhelming. It's like Microsoft's first party efforts have been going downhill lately.

Sony on the other hand has been doing a downright fantastic job on improving their first party efforts. They've managed to get a great team onboard with them with Polyphony Digital, Naughty Dog, Team ICO, Insomniac, Zipper Interactive, Sucker Punch, Sony Online, and more. The games they release have greatly improved over their previous efforts in the last two generations.

Exclusivity deals are becoming a thing of the past. We are reaching an era in gaming where the only difference between the two major consoles will be first party games.
Not really. As long as a company is willing to fork up the money, as MS has proven, we will continue to see timed exclusivity deals, like with Bioshock

Sony on the other hand has been doing a downright fantastic job on improving their first party efforts. They've managed to get a great team onboard with them with Polyphony Digital, Naughty Dog, Team ICO, Insomniac, Zipper Interactive, Sucker Punch, Sony Online, and more. The games they release have greatly improved over their previous efforts in the last two generations
I remember reading that this was Sony's goal for this generation. Whereas MS is throwing money at 3rd party developers to get deals for excusive games and/or extra content, Sony has been throwing money into its own studios and beefing up its own first party development and creating new IPs from 2nd party developers. We've had some failures like Lair and disappointments like Heavenly Sword, but they've also found a winner in Uncharted as well as a gem in LittleBigPlanet and if all goes well, Infamous will join that group. And then theres their old IPs that they have brought over (Warhawk, Socom, Wipeout, Ratchet) and will bring over (God of War, Gran Turismo)

Last edited:
Yeah, good points there Havok. Even when you look at the 3rd parties, there's MGS4, Valkyria Chronicles, Metro 2033, Ninja Gaiden Sigma, and the latest to join the group, Quantum Theory. People talk as if the PS3 still sucks but those days are long gone.

And a 10/10 on Eurogamer. Looks like there's no dissapointments to be hacd with this port. :up:

And it's making it's way to the news sites now, PS3 BioShock features
a trailer for BioShock 2: Sea of Dreams. There's a bootleg on Kotaku.

For those of us gamers who aren't as co-ordinated (hand-eye wise) as some how hard is this game?

For those of us gamers who aren't as co-ordinated (hand-eye wise) as some how hard is this game?

I think as in the 360 version, when you die, you respawn with half your health from a 'vital station' and everything else stays the same, including the enemy's health.

I think as in the 360 version, when you die, you respawn with half your health from a 'vital station' and everything else stays the same, including the enemy's health.

It was like that on the pc version untill they patched it. You can turn them off so when you die you die. They made Bioshock way too easy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"