Contacting Someone In The Industry

Banshee

Sidekick
Reaction score
So I'm in a senior seminar class for my last year in college, and I've been assigned to perform an informational interview with someone from a company I would like to work at. Well, I've got a few jobs lined up for after I get my degree, but eventually I would like to work in the comic book industry, whether it be marketing or editing or something, my major in Communication Studies basically caters for it.

So what I'm wondering, is does anyone know of a way to get in contact with anyone, ANYONE currently working in the industry, for a any company? I've e-mailed Marvel, DC, and Dark Horse, which I knew was a bit far fetched to hope for a response, but I was wondering if anyone else had any additional ideas. It doesn't matter how high up they are or how prestigious they are, it can be anyone.

Also, I'd not usually resort to a message board for advice, but I figured it would be right up you guys alley. Thanks for the help.

Go to their website and look for phone numbers and then call.

If you are seriously considering a job in the industry, don't bother looking for an "in" so to speak. Simply look at employment opportunities on their website, send in your resume if one of the openings fits you, and work your way up.

Also, you may want to consider dropping Dew a PM. She has a few industry sources, I think.

If you are seriously considering a job in the industry, don't bother looking for an "in" so to speak. Simply look at employment opportunities on their website, send in your resume if one of the openings fits you, and work your way up.

He's not looking for an "in." It's for his senior seminar class. I'm in a similar class and we have to do the same thing.

Yeah leaguer's right. Its just like a call that would take 15 minutes, interviewing them about what its like to work at their job, salary and ****.

My suggestion, go to various websites and find their personal emails. Lesser known guys are obviously better. Do it well in advance, because they're busy guys. And contact a lot, don't put your eggs in one basket.

And how about that, my sister goes to UNC-W. I'm at NCSU myself.

You could send one of the creators who post here on the Hype a PM, too. I know Dan Slott, Jon Malin, Kevin Grevioux, and now J. Torres all have accounts here.

Good ideas, and thanks, I appreciate the responses.

UNCW is pretty awesome. I'm going to be up in Raleigh Next weekend visiting my brother at Chapel Hill.

Senior seminars are common to most majors. They're designed to give seniors in whatever field a jump start at networking and finding jobs. Building interview skills, resume writing, stuff like that.

Oh, so yours isn't for comics, it's just a similar sort of seminar?

Mine is for geology in general, but each student's requirements are tailored for his or her program. Mine is geared towards paleontology.

Haha, I have to do the same project for one of my classes. That idea of PMing Slott is a good idea except I rip on him every time he posts.:csad::o

Paleontology falls under geology?

Although NCSU has two of the top paleontologists in the world, we don't have a separate paleo program. Few universities do. So we major in geology, which gives us an essential context for paleo, and then take a bunch of paleo classes designed and taught by said paleontologists.

Still, I would've thought paleontology falls under zoology or something. You're studying the lifeforms, not the stuff their bones are embedded in, right?
Haha, I have to do the same project for one of my classes. That idea of PMing Slott is a good idea except I rip on him every time he posts.:csad::o
Maybe he'll be the bigger man. It shouldn't be too hard.

Still, I would've thought paleontology falls under zoology or something. You're studying the lifeforms, not the stuff their bones are embedded in, right?

A longer answer would be, it depends on what kind of paleontologist you are, but the short answer is, no. Good paleontology depends on every piece of information it's possible to attain. That includes studying both the rock in which the bone is found, and the rock the bone has turned into via fossilization, either of which could ideally tell you about the environment in which the animal lived and died and what happened to it since. Which is why most paleontologists actually do come from a geological background.

Hahaha, turns out that through some fluke, some perverse twist of fate, I'm lab partners with a dude who knows Steven T. Seagle personally. So personally that I'm sure he calls him Steve and not Steven T. Seagle.

suck it, Slott! I don't need you anymore! Hahaha. I traded up, son.

erik larsen (of image comics) is always active on the image forums.
he often replies on various threads etc, its well-worth trying to contact him through that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"