Cosmic MCU TV show

Mr. Dent

Superhero
Reaction score
I was watching Farscape and it got me thinking, with Marvel introducing the cosmic side of the MCU, wouldn't it be awesome if they used it as a vehicle to bring back pulp space opera to TV? Ever since Stargate ended there hasn't really been one, and Marvel is in the perfect situation to bring it back. It can have a similar tone to Farscape and Stargate but set in the Marvel universe and use that as a way to bring viewers in. They can have the same aliens introduced in Guardians in the film. It would be the cosmic version of Agents of SHIELD. The only thing is finding the right Marvel property to use.

But Agents of SHIELD is so cheap and lame looking, I wouldn't want what Gunn has worked so hard for to be cheapened on network television.

....except Agents of SHIELD is one of the best looking shows on television? :huh:

And apparently now Agents of SHIELD is the standard for every Marvel TV show going forward? Who even said it would be on ABC? I said it would be the cosmic version of AOS in the sense that it will explore the greater setting of the cosmic Marvel and its nuances that Guardians doesn't get to. It could be on Netflix for all I care, that's not my point.

I didn't make this thread to bash AOS please keep that out.

I don't think that approach would work. Being set in the Marvel Universe isn't enough of a hook to bring people in, they need a grounded side to it still. I think Agents of SHIELD could maybe go cosmic somewhere down the line, maybe team up with SWORD. Half the battle would be done as viewers would already be familiar with the characters.

....except Agents of SHIELD is one of the best looking shows on television? :huh:

And apparently now Agents of SHIELD is the standard for every Marvel TV show going forward? Who even said it would be on ABC? I said it would be the cosmic version of AOS in the sense that it will explore the greater setting of the cosmic Marvel and its nuances that Guardians doesn't get to. It could be on Netflix for all I care, that's not my point.

I didn't make this thread to bash AOS please keep that out.

Is it really one of the best looking shows on television?
That's shocking. I said ABC because that is the main Disney owned network.
I'm sorry for bashing AoS but if you're opening statement has "It would be the cosmic version of Agents of SHIELD" then I can't help but be apprehensive.

Anyways I suppose they could make a S.W.O.R.D. show, that's the closest to an AoS cosmic show as you could get. I'd want it as far from ABC as possible.

I don't see why this couldn't work. Think about how successful genre shows have been lately when given proper care in the right hands (Walking Dead and GoT are standout examples).

In fact, hasn't Marvel's rumored pitch for the Inhumans movie been "Game of Thrones in space" or something like that? With a strong production value and a good writing department, it could work as a series on the right network (or Netflix).

(For what it's worth, I would have said a BSG-esque "Guardians of the Galaxy" tv show if we weren't already getting a movie.)

Agents of SHIELD is hardly one of the best-looking shows on TV, but this isn't the place to argue that. I too want to see an Inhumans TV series. Wouldn't be on HBO because Warner Bros own that, plus they already have Game of Thrones, so if it were to happen then it would likely be on Netflix.

I've never understood the Game of Thrones/Inhumans analogy. Admittedly, I haven't read much of The Inhumans outside of some of the War Of Kings stuff that involved the Guardians Of The Galaxy. Can someone explain similarities to me?

I'm wondering if a Nova Corps TV show would be workable, and serve as a kind of cosmic SHIELD. Especially if their depiction in GOTG gains some traction.

I've never understood the Game of Thrones/Inhumans analogy.
People are confusing what was said. The site that broke that news (Bleeding Cool) was talking about the new comic, not the movie.

^Oh really? Guilty as charged, then. I thought they were speculating about the movie based on the direction of the new comic.

Regardless, Inhumans could still make a good tv show IMO. It could have a larger cast than would be easy to juggle in a movie, and focus on different parts of Inhuman society. It could be set someplace other than the Blue Area of the Moon and I wouldn't complain.

I was watching Farscape and it got me thinking, with Marvel introducing the cosmic side of the MCU, wouldn't it be awesome if they used it as a vehicle to bring back pulp space opera to TV? Ever since Stargate ended there hasn't really been one, and Marvel is in the perfect situation to bring it back. It can have a similar tone to Farscape and Stargate but set in the Marvel universe and use that as a way to bring viewers in. They can have the same aliens introduced in Guardians in the film. It would be the cosmic version of Agents of SHIELD. The only thing is finding the right Marvel property to use.

I think the big issue is that the amount of special FX needed for Marvel cosmic >>>> SFX on Stargate/Farscape/Star Trek/AoS. Most of the stuff they do is WAY out there, rubber forehead aliens and lightly dressed soundstages need not apply. And when it comes to Guardians of the Galaxy, those aliens are definitely, DEFINITELY not a go for television. (cue Oooga-ooga-ooga-chaka)

I think an Inhumans TV show, with Lockjaw teleporting them and dealing with some low level aliens there could be interesting. But then you have, y'know... Medusa as a crucial main character who pretty much never uses her powers, because hair is the trickiest (thus most expensive) thing for CGI. That's not a good idea, then. Even the Inhumans aren't fit for TV... unless we take a full on Inhumanity event where the Royal Family (outside of say, Crystal and Blackbolt) aren't main characters and you focus on new emergent Inhumans... but then... that's not much of a cosmic show, is it?

I'm pretty sure the Marvel wouldn't risk blowing their chance at their answer to Fox's mutants by making it a t.v. show.
If Guardians of the Galaxy succeeds I think it is fair to assume that we'd have Inhumans announced for part of Phase 3.
I'm quite sure a Terrigen Mist Bomb will be hitting the MCU in a big way within the next 5 years, which would certainly be a step toward making AoS more appealing.

Seems too expensive, actually. I can't imagine a television series with a normal budget for a 22-episode season would look exactly like it would in a film with a 200+ budget.

Yea, I think the trick here would be to limit the scope just enough so that it would work within a feasible budget. With the Marvel cosmic properties, I'm just not seeing one that would work within that construct. Nova Corps would seem the logical route to go, but I'm not sure it would be feasible on a TV budget without (a) de-powering the Corps to the extent of making them analogous to space-SHIELD, and (b) severely limiting the scope Marvel's cosmic universe.

Yea, I think the trick here would be to limit the scope just enough so that it would work within a feasible budget. With the Marvel cosmic properties, I'm just not seeing one that would work within that construct. Nova Corps would seem the logical route to go, but I'm not sure it would be feasible on a TV budget without (a) de-powering the Corps to the extent of making them analogous to space-SHIELD, and (b) severely limiting the scope Marvel's cosmic universe.

I'm struggling to think of something that would work on TV too - the one that comes to mind but would be impossible due to issues over rights would be The Starjammers. Hell, it'd basically be like Firefly, but with alien races.

As it stands with Marvel's current choices though, Nova Corps does seem like the best bet, but then you run into the issues you've already outlined.

My ideal cosmic TV show would have to follow after a Planet Hulk movie...

"Son Of Hulk" following Skaar's journey to earth, with Hiro-kala in pursuit :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"