Costumes! Discuss them Here!

They're good, they could have been alittle more faithful.

Yes, The Comedian, Rorschach and Silk Spectre are awesome! I'm really glad that they went on the comic-booky-female-costume style for SS: showing some skin!

Nite Owl is passable and Ozymandias is ok. It wasn't what I expected but I guess the cheesyness fits the character.

I love the costumes, especially Nite Owl and Rorschach

I can usually sympathise with oppossing viewpoints but I'm genuinly at a loss to understand what exactly you're talking about here. What is bastardised? How are they different from the spirit of the characters? Who is the most hideous. i ghope you donlt say perfect because he, of them of rhem, is both 110% faithful and yet competely badarse looking. A rare example of an original 2D design translating into tangible real life without becoming stupid or cheesy. The only example of this is Spidermans costume.

Granted, Comedian and Rorschach look fine, I'll give them that. The costumes of the other 3 though just make them look like they're in a movie, especially since this takes place in 1985 of all times. There was nothing wrong with how they looked in the book to begin with. Both Laurie and Dan comment on how ridiculous their costumes looked anyway (although I guess now it is fitting). The story itself is a critique on superheros, so why couldn't the production designers for once grow a pair of balls and just translate what was originally put down in the book and has been solid for 23 years now? But no, they went the route of trying to make everything more "badass" to appeal to a wider audience that will in turn learn to have as little respect for the source material as the filmmakers do. That lack of respect is evident first and foremost because they went ahead with making this movie even though Alan Moore has been incredibly vocal in his stance against the production. You have the creator saying "please don't make this into a film, it's not what it was intended for" and yet the studio does it anyway just because DC was able to screw Moore out of the rights to it year and years ago. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that is ****ed up. Second of all, they don't respect the source material because they think they can cram it all into one movie. 2 hours, 3 hours, hell even 4 hours is not enough to adequately translate Watchmen. Even at 3 hours, considering the book is comprised of 12 maxi issues, allots 15 minutes of time to cover whatever went on in each issue. 15 minutes. It's like they're making the Spark Notes version of the movie. As for the cast, ok fine, maybe they're not all bad. My gripe is that I think they're all a bit too young, seeing as they should all be in their 40's according to the book, but I guess it's easier to make-up someone to look old rather than make them look younger, so I'll give them that too. But at the same time Laurie is an incredibly important role, and yet they managed to get the **** from Harold and Kumar to play her. GREAT casting choice.

Now is there anything else I can fill you in on, Noir, because it seems you're the one here who is in need of getting their facts straight. If you're such a fan of the source material why are you so eager to support this obviously insufficient adaptation which shouldn't even be made in the first place?

Now is there anything else I can fill you in on, Noir, because it seems you're the one here who is in need of getting their facts straight. If you're such a fan of the source material why are you so eager to support this obviously insufficient adaptation which shouldn't even be made in the first place?
Hmm.. maybe because I am a ****ing fan? I love the Watchmen, and I want to see it and from what I see they're doing it "right." I didn't need you to question my loyalty to a comic I've read more times than I can count, also, I have my facts straight, your the one who's in need of some fact checking.. Does it mean anything to you that David Gibbons thinks this film is good? Hmm? Or are you just sticking up for Moore because you both probably smell like piss?

Hmm.. maybe because I am a ****ing fan? I love the Watchmen, and I want to see it and from what I see they're doing it "right." I didn't need you to question my loyalty to a comic I've read more times than I can count, also, I have my facts straight, your the one who's in need of some fact checking.. Does it mean anything to you that David Gibbons thinks this film is good? Hmm? Or are you just sticking up for Moore because you both probably smell like piss?

I always imagine Moore smelling like piss too, strange.

I think it's the Hobo look.

Not what I expected, to be honest I'm a little dissapointed.

I'll go with it though, time will tell if they work in context.

Granted, Comedian and Rorschach look fine, I'll give them that. The costumes of the other 3 though just make them look like they're in a movie, especially since this takes place in 1985 of all times. There was nothing wrong with how they looked in the book to begin with. Both Laurie and Dan comment on how ridiculous their costumes looked anyway (although I guess now it is fitting). The story itself is a critique on superheros, so why couldn't the production designers for once grow a pair of balls and just translate what was originally put down in the book and has been solid for 23 years now? But no, they went the route of trying to make everything more "badass" to appeal to a wider audience that will in turn learn to have as little respect for the source material as the filmmakers do. That lack of respect is evident first and foremost because they went ahead with making this movie even though Alan Moore has been incredibly vocal in his stance against the production. You have the creator saying "please don't make this into a film, it's not what it was intended for" and yet the studio does it anyway just because DC was able to screw Moore out of the rights to it year and years ago. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that is ****ed up. Second of all, they don't respect the source material because they think they can cram it all into one movie. 2 hours, 3 hours, hell even 4 hours is not enough to adequately translate Watchmen. Even at 3 hours, considering the book is comprised of 12 maxi issues, allots 15 minutes of time to cover whatever went on in each issue. 15 minutes. It's like they're making the Spark Notes version of the movie. As for the cast, ok fine, maybe they're not all bad. My gripe is that I think they're all a bit too young, seeing as they should all be in their 40's according to the book, but I guess it's easier to make-up someone to look old rather than make them look younger, so I'll give them that too. But at the same time Laurie is an incredibly important role, and yet they managed to get the **** from Harold and Kumar to play her. GREAT casting choice.

So you're generally against the whole production and that automatially transfers to the costumes themselves, apart from the belief that they don't look goofy enough. I think Nite-Owl will rely on the perfomance to appear goofy and hopefully in the context of the relatively 'real' world around him he will appear a little absurd. Thing is you have to believe that THIS is what a superhero in his world would deem neccersarry wear - he's dead serious and committed to it so he needs to be wearing a costume that look like he means business, not a pajama suit. A beer gut or a more humorous suit would go against that, it would be too cute, overstated and tongue in cheek imo.

My problem with Ozy's costume is that it makes him look like a villain. Just way too obvious. I'm sure the lighting is amplifying that effect, but this shouldn't be something the audience figures out just looking at the guy. Overall I'm very pleased though.

So what if Dave Gibbons thinks it's good? He's a great illustrator, he's definitely one of my own inspirations, but that doesn't make him infallible. If he's happy with what they've done to his own work, well then he's the foolish one here. I'd be appalled if someone took what I slaved over and turned it into all this garbage. But hey, I'm not being payed the big bucks yet, so I guess I don't know what it's like to sell out and what that could make me agree to.

Oh man, and speaking of piss, I'll be right back, I haven't drained the lizard in hours...

niteowl.jpg

Now thats WAAAAYYY better :whatever:

So what if Dave Gibbons thinks it's good? He's a great illustrator, he's definitely one of my own inspirations, but that doesn't make him infallible. If he's happy with what they've done to his own work, well then he's the foolish one here. I'd be appalled if someone took what I slaved over and turned it into all this garbage. But hey, I'm not being payed the big bucks yet, so I guess I don't know what it's like to sell out and what that could make me agree to.

Oh man, and speaking of piss, I'll be right back, I haven't drained the lizard in hours...
Soo.. David Gibbons could be wrong but Alan Moore can't? :whatever:

So you're generally against the whole production and that automatially transfers to the costumes themselves, apart from the belief that they don't look goofy enough. I think Nite-Owl will rely on the perfomance to appear goofy and hopefully in the context of the relatively 'real' world around him he will appear a little absurd. Thing is you have to believe that THIS is what a superhero in his world would deem neccersarry wear - he's dead serious and committed to it so he needs to be wearing a costume that look like he means business, not a pajama suit. A beer gut or a more humorous suit would go against that, it would be too cute, overstated and tongue in cheek imo.

But the point of having him have the beer gut and the pajama like costume was to make a statement about Daniel; that his years as a crimefighter were what really truly made him happy. That's why he couldn't even get it up with Laurie when they first got frisky. The beer gut is a visual testament of how the years of inactivity had made him an unhappy unhealthy man, both emotionally and physically

Soo.. David Gibbons could be wrong but Alan Moore can't? :whatever:

when this movie bombs next year and is a complete disaster zone it'll be quite evident that alan was right and dave was wrong

when this movie bombs next year and is a complete disaster zone it'll be quite evident that alan was right and dave was wrong
Hmm.. Thats interesting. And if the movie is a success? I still find it how Alan Moore has the power to make things bad when he hasn't even seen it or read a script. Yet the man who spent just about as much time as Alan did creating this world says that its actually very good he's wrong? That is interesting indeed. The funny thing is that Moore seems like a pissed off hermit who really has no idea what the hell he is talking about and wants to force people to only enjoy the graphic novel he wrote while Gibbons is a friendly person who actually enjoys his work spanning art genres.

niteowl.jpg

Now thats WAAAAYYY better :whatever:

this is one guy's costume that was made with limited resources, and therefore is a bad example and a futile attempt to prove me wrong

The jig is up Moore!

You think you can hide behind that fake ID??

I got my eye on you Al... I will be watching very closely.

this is one guy's costume that was made with limited resources, and therefore is a bad example and a futile attempt to prove me wrong
So.. let me get this straight, you want it to look exactly like it did in the comics yet when I show you a picture of a suit that looks exactly like it did in the comics its a bad example and a futile attempt?

Hmm.. Thats interesting. And if the movie is a success?

a success how? at the box office? oh wow, the studio was able to market the movie to a huge crowd of people who have never read the book and therefore don't give a **** about what it really was all about since they're getting the flashy crash course version in movie form that flies by so fast they don't have time to digest what it's all about as they sit and eat popcorn, make-out, need to pee, etc.

a success that they got a bunch of fans to buy into something clearly lower in quality than it deserves, but will buy into it anyway since it takes upwards of 5 years to get any comic-based title to be made into a movie, and as it is fans have been waiting for this to be made since 1990 so everyone's going to jump at it anyway?

or a success that in all categories it actually was top shelf quality and actually lived up to its source material?

sorry, but i have serious doubts it will be a success like the latter. but hey, if i'm wrong, i'm wrong, and alan moore is wrong too. he's just the creator and is closer to the story than anyone on this planet, but whatever

Wow. You are completely idiotic and all together not a very happy person.
I'll you what, if your so against the movie and it just shouldn't be made, then you my good sir can leave the movie spoiler thread. I'll have NowUfaceDoom show you the door.

So.. let me get this straight, you want it to look exactly like it did in the comics yet when I show you a picture of a suit that looks exactly like it did in the comics its a bad example and a futile attempt?

that's not what it looked like in the comic. that's a crap cosplay outfit with 3 hours of work put in to embellish it. if you took the original design and gave it to a real designer with all the factors of production at their disposal, i guarantee it will look awesome

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"