Costumes

tecnowraith

Sidekick
Reaction score
Ok I have thread I like start for the movie. With past movies based on comics and cartoon shows name X-men, should the Uniforms for both Joe team and Cobra be done all in leather/synthetic leather or (rubber like Batman in the new Dark Knight) and all be the same or should the be different materials and be unique in style like in comics and cartoon?

I think the costumes should be as close to the characters' classic cartoon/comic counterparts, as much as they can; so they should use whatever material works on the big screen. The film makers did say that this movie would be like watching a cartoon come to life, so i hope i'll get my wish, i just hope it doesn't come off as being too corny.

See, but that to me is a sort of contradiction, given how the characters' classic designs are a tad on the corny side (okay, maybe a lot). I think, Sigma 6's idea was good, in that all the characters have a similar base uniform/design (though more realistic than Sigma 6's) but with customized aspects that suit their role/personality, possibly taking some nods to the classic design (e.g. Snake Eye's mask). At least, for the Joes anyway.

As for Cobra, I think they can pretty much keep their designs (at least Cobra Commander, Storm Shadow and the Baroness). I'm not too keen on Zartan's and/or Destro. Those two probably could stand for some slight redesigning (of course, keep Zartan's hood).

Regarding Destro's mask, that can be a slight problem. Unless it's part of his tech, it would look kind of weird for him to always be hiding behind it. Maybe, have him use it in a particular scene (e.g. a masquerade ball) and be done with it. Or, give a reason why he's wearing the mask, beyond simply family tradition.

The Joes are soldiers, so they should wear stylized versions of US army uniforms. The Cobras, however, could go for the whole Matrix thing.

I do agree with going for an updated Sigma 6 - ish style, with a more uniform look. Destro is a big concern, as I said in the main Joe thread, I really wonder/fear how they will do his helmet. :csad:

Give Zartan the hood and I'm good. Vosloo will get it done. :cwink:

Let the Joes and Cobra Commander's forces wear the costumes from G.I. Joe A Real American Hero. Scarlett should definitely wear her bathing suit and tights look as well.

I'm undecided on this, but I really hope it doesn't end up looking like X-Men 3, where they couldn't figure out how to make realistic costumes for everyone so they just made them look like a bunch of rejects from the nightclub scene in The Matrix Revolutions.

Regarding Destro's mask, that can be a slight problem. Unless it's part of his tech, it would look kind of weird for him to always be hiding behind it. Maybe, have him use it in a particular scene (e.g. a masquerade ball) and be done with it. Or, give a reason why he's wearing the mask, beyond simply family tradition.

Wow......ummm.....you have no idea what your talking about do you?

i agree on the customised 'uniform' look rather than a flamboyan cartoony style...

the cartoon style would be good for a cameo recruitment scene.

Wow......ummm.....you have no idea what your talking about do you?

Please explain what you mean. I'm well aware that Destro where's it for the sake of his family's tradition. That said, it serves little to no practical purpose. Besides, if Latino Review's review is accurate, it appears that Destro won't be constantly wearing the metal mask. So, the question now is when?

Because your asking for a change for no real reason.

Or, give a reason why he's wearing the mask, beyond simply family tradition.

It's something that dosent really need a reason much less a more long drawn out one as your suggesting.

Your logic is exactly like asking for Doom to not wear his mask in FF.

Because your asking for a change for no real reason.

Fair enough. So, I'll post some of my reasons to clarify my opinion:

1. In my opinion, it has the very serious risk of looking tacky if done wrong. And presently, I can't seem to figure a way of doing it right if it is indeed to be worn for long portions of the film.

2. It limits the actor's tools to interact with the audience. It is a well known fact that the musical 'The Phantom of the Opera' had originally been imagined with a fully masked Phantom but was changed to the famous half-mask due to the restrictions it imposed on the actor's ability to convey expression.

3. With Snake Eyes, Storm Shadow and possibly Cobra Commander (all of whom have more realistic reasons for wearing one), there are already enough masked characters running about on screen.

Fair enough. So, I'll post some of my reasons to clarify my opinion:

1. In my opinion, it has the very serious risk of looking tacky if done wrong. And presently, I can't seem to figure a way of doing it right if it is indeed to be worn for long portions of the film.

2. It limits the actor's tools to interact with the audience. It is a well known fact that the musical 'The Phantom of the Opera' had originally been imagined with a fully masked Phantom but was changed to the famous half-mask due to the restrictions it imposed on the actor's ability to convey expression.

3. With Snake Eyes, Storm Shadow and possibly Cobra Commander (all of whom have more realistic reasons for wearing one), there are already enough masked characters running about on screen.

Not to break your balls, but...

1) He's Destro. Anyone who knows GI Joe knows that Destro wears a mask all the time, so it's not really going to be "corny" if he wears it, because everyone is expecting him to wear it.

2) Darth Vader is one of the most recognisable villains of all time.

3) Again, it's Destro. He's supposed to wear a mask. Now, I would understand if they put a mask on Duke or something because he never wore one and it's unecessary. But it's Destro. And I highly doubt you're going to hear anyone say "Man, that movie was cool, but they had way too many people with masks on!"

Not to break your balls, but...

1) He's Destro. Anyone who knows GI Joe knows that Destro wears a mask all the time, so it's not really going to be "corny" if he wears it, because everyone is expecting him to wear it.

2) Darth Vader is one of the most recognisable villains of all time.

3) Again, it's Destro. He's supposed to wear a mask. Now, I would understand if they put a mask on Duke or something because he never wore one and it's unecessary. But it's Destro. And I highly doubt you're going to hear anyone say "Man, that movie was cool, but they had way too many people with masks on!"

1. I say this in reference to new viewers, who aren't intimately familiar with the G.I. Joe mythos, who would find it tacky. Which was why I initially suggested coming up with a plot-based reason for the mask or failing that, to have him appear in a mask at the very least as a nod to the fans in a single scene.

2. You have a point there. Though, there are some key visual cues in Vader's helmet design that conveyed a degree of 'menacing'-ness that Destro's largely humanoid helmet wouldn't allow, which was why I compared it with the Phantom, whose mask design was also humanoid.

3. Lol! Touche.

1. I say this in reference to new viewers, who aren't intimately familiar with the G.I. Joe mythos, who would find it tacky. Which was why I initially suggested coming up with a plot-based reason for the mask or failing that, to have him appear in a mask at the very least as a nod to the fans in a single scene.

You don't need a whole plot about WHY he wears a mask. I takes one line.."He wears it because of an old family tradition yadda yadda". Hell have Hawk says this as he's giving intell info to the Joes on Cobra even. Point is, it takes one line and the audience "gets "it".

A good actor can "act through" prostetics/masks etc. If you were to throw Rickman or Oldman behind a mask no one would complain like this and If this guy is half as good as everyone says then why are we having this discussion?

Also the look of Destro (and many of the Joes/Cobras) is just cool. People are drawn to well thoguht out designs and interesting, cool looking characters no matter if they are a fan or not.

I don't even think they need to explain why Destro wears the mask. He's a bad guy. He wears a mask. It looks cool.

It really doesn't have to be complicated.

Prosthetics, yes. Masks, I think not. Again, look at 'The Phantom of the Opera's production history as evidence. Michael Crawford couldn't do it, so my guess is that it's much harder than you think.

Ultimately, this debate seems rather pointless in light of the recent spoiler posted on Latino Review, that shows the mask's history and significance. Though, it should be pointed out that he first appears without the mask, indicating he might not be wearing it throughout the film.

Doesn't this movie take place 10 years in the future! ?

I doubt they'll have a hard time explaining weird things, people will just think; "It's the future!" :oldrazz:

So the update info besides the pics for the costumes is now from IESB.net saying it fallow the designs from Valor vs Venom toyline and CGI movie.

http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4334&Itemid=99

vlcsnap132482nl9.png

cover.jpg

What's wrong with their classic comic/cartoon uniforms? They were minimalistic, distinguishable, easily recognized and works for any translation. But once again, there is no need to change anything, after all, they wear stylized army uniforms. The only one that would be weak from that look is Dr. Mindbender. If anything, Sigma 6 & Valor vs Venom are weak because they are overdone....too accessorized.

Their original costumes worked for that time. If they went with those now, Duke would look more like Indiana Jones. The Valor vs Venom costumes are more like a modernized version of the originals, so I don't see the problem. Just be glad the didn't go with styling them after Sigma 6. D:

You guys would find anything to ***** about. That's not even from the movie, it's from the CGI movie. He was just posting a pic so you can see what they're basing it off of.

It was a joke but seriously I hope scarlett doesn't wear that leatard.

I would prefer updated versions of the classic costumes. They are supposed to be an elite team outside standard military operations, so I dont see the need to keep them instandard military garb. Let their characters shine thru! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"